How to approach assimil German with ease

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
kamal12341
India
Joined 5164 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes

Message 1 of 6
15 March 2010 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
Guys, I have just started to learn German few days back.I have been listening to MT course for the last few days.but i noticed that the written part(that writing and all) was missing from it,so took assimil course but i am facing this problem ,as to how to go about with the course . Like on one page there is German text , and on another the equivalent in English , i have to match each word by word but at times i face this difficulty of matching exact words(sometimes they dont match) .It says dont bother if u dont understand German grammar initially. But I want to learn to speak and write German as soon as possible . Please help me out as to how to approach this course?
1 person has voted this message useful

ManicGenius
United States
Joined 5268 days ago

288 posts - 420 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, French, Japanese

Message 2 of 6
15 March 2010 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
With fear in your heart.

More seriously, there are some great Assimil threads on here, just go a searchin'.
This is a good thread: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=4879&PN=1
2 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5352 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 3 of 6
16 March 2010 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
The Assimil course is (as the name suggests) an assimilation course - Unlike the immediate sentence making strategy of the Michael Thomas course you are not expected to be making exact word for word translations between English and German. Rather you are meant to understand the German dialogue in German with the assistance of the translation and to take in the structure, vocabulary and grammar of German from the German itself. Over time you passively take in those structures and words and use them to make sentences during the active stage.

In many respects the Michael Thomas course, by being immediately active is the antithesis of Assimil. However, the two can complement each other if you allow yourself to take in the passive part of Assimil and then use MT to reinforce the grammatical points of Assimil and Assimil to reinforce the usage of what you learn in MT.

My advice (for what its worth, as I am a beginner too, but I know exactly the frustration you are facing) is to carry on with Assimil and MT, but perhaps to take MT a bit slower and really digest each CD (say by the review CDs). After a while the two methods will click together.

Edited by Elexi on 16 March 2010 at 10:00am

5 persons have voted this message useful

ManicGenius
United States
Joined 5268 days ago

288 posts - 420 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, French, Japanese

Message 4 of 6
16 March 2010 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
Meh. The Michel courses don't really do it for me. They can help with basic
understanding of grammar but I find the student voices too intrusive and kind've jarring
actually.

kamal12341
India
Joined 5164 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes

Message 5 of 6
16 March 2010 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
guys, its not sbout the listening part, i am mainly concerned about the writing part(like as a beginner , how to write thank you ,name etc ).If I have to wait for about 2 months for writing skills using assimil ,then i have to stop reading assmil book as it will take a long time to develop that part..Should i opt for FSI German course.

magictom123
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5380 days ago

272 posts - 365 votes 
Studies: Italian, French

Message 6 of 6
16 March 2010 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
The Assimil course is (as the name suggests) an assimilation course -
Unlike the immediate sentence making strategy of the Michael Thomas course you are not
expected to be making exact word for word translations between English and German.
Rather you are meant to understand the German dialogue in German with the assistance of
the translation and to take in the structure, vocabulary and grammar of German from the
German itself. Over time you passively take in those structures and words and use them
to make sentences during the active stage.

In many respects the Michael Thomas course, by being immediately active is the
antithesis of Assimil. However, the two can complement each other if you allow
yourself to take in the passive part of Assimil and then use MT to reinforce the
grammatical points of Assimil and Assimil to reinforce the usage of what you learn in
MT.

My advice (for what its worth, as I am a beginner too, but I know exactly the
frustration you are facing) is to carry on with Assimil and MT, but perhaps to take MT
a bit slower and really digest each CD (say by the review CDs). After a while the two
methods will click together.

I too have gone through MT and then onto Assimil and have to say that I was guilty of
the word for word analysis that MT demands to the point where I began to lose sense of
what Assimil is about and stopped. After reading a test of courage and goig through
the advanced MT again, I am now about to start Assimil again. The two programs seem to
face the prospect of learning a language at completely different ends of the spectrum
and having gone through the MT course in Italian, I found it difficult to take on board
the different method of learning that Assimil offers. I have to say that the comment
above is the best I have seen on this site concerning the elemental difference between
these two programs and has really cleared up my own similar (albeit muddled) thoughts
on the same subject. Thank you.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version