Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6956 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 1 of 49
25 January 2006 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
How fluent do you have to be to be a genuine polyglot? Some of the posts on this forum seem to be unduly harsh and critical of people who claim to be polyglots. They say their accent is not good or only fair. (Did Maurice Chevalier speak English? He had a strong French accent, at least on stage.) Or they criticise mistakes in grammar or choice of words they use as if it disqualifies them.

Does your neighbour, Con the Fruiterer, (well known on Australian television) speak English if he speaks with an accent? If you can read and write and converse in French, German, Russian and Spanish, but make mistakes and mix your words and grammar at times, or speak with a strong accent, does that prevent you qualifying as a polyglot.

I don't expect people to speak without an accent. If you listen long enough, you can usually tell where a person comes from.

And I am very sceptical of characters in books who learn a language and pass as natives when they have only just learnt the language. The only people who truly speak without any accent and can pass for natives are people who learnt the language as children.

It reminds me of the story I heard while I was working in Germany. A German spy landed in England during the war and made his way to a pub.

He put his money on the counter and said to the barman, "A martini, please."

The barman said, "Dry?"

"If I Vant three I will ask for them!"
2 persons have voted this message useful

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7186 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 49
25 January 2006 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
Fanatic this is a good question and I'm glad you start the debate. I think there are many types of polyglots. Some have a mostly written knowledge of most of the languages they 'speak' - does that diminish their merit, I don't think so. Others make plenty of mistakes whenever they open their mouth but still manage to communicate with people who would otherwise never have understood a word.

I think we should coin new words to precise the type of polyglot we mention. A '10 language academic polyglot' or a '15 language practical polyglot'. Whenever people ask me how many languages I speak, rather than answering with a number I always say 'Well, French is my mother tongue, English I can speak and write quite well, Italian I speak really well but I don't write often, ...' and so on.

3 persons have voted this message useful

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6700 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian

Message 3 of 49
25 January 2006 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
Some people argue that unless you can speak the language properly, then you can't claim to be fluent. However, I can't see why the ability to only read and/or write in a language should be totally discounted. Perhaps it is not entirely practical but a lot of time and effort does go into learning grammar and understanding the written word.

I personally am better at reading languages than speaking them. It's possibly down to self-esteem but I find I progress through a language quicker through reading than through speaking it. That's just my 2 cents.

If you look at the list of polyglots at Wikipedia, quite a few of them just have a reading knowledge (with or without dictionaries) of some of the languages they're credited with learning. Does this make their efforts any less admirable? I personally don't think so.
1 person has voted this message useful

Walshy
Triglot
Australia
Joined 6752 days ago

335 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German

Message 4 of 49
25 January 2006 at 4:54am | IP Logged 
I'm glad someone brought this up. With redard to modern languages, this has been bugging me for a while. A while ago, someone (can't remember who it was) claimed that unless someone speaks a language with little/no accent, that he/she doesn't consider that person to be a fluent speaker.

To me this seems pretty ridiculous. Living in a highly multicultural country, coming into contact with large numbers of foreign students all the time, most of whom speak with a moderate accent, I would never say that they are not fluent in English. Michel Thomas lived in America from 1945-2005, he spoke with a strong (hard to place) accent, but after 60 years living in a mainly monolingual country, nobody could say he wasn't fluent. Is a kid with a speech impediment not fluent? Yes he is fluent, he just sounds a bit different.

Perhaps English may be a biased observation point, since there is a massive number of foreigners who learn it, much more than most other languages, and so we have more exposure to different accents and therefore don't think much of them, but I still don't think an accent has any effect on how one's fluency should be rated. For example (no offence is intended, FX) FX writes with better spelling than many English natives, he also writes with more eloquence and a larger variety of words than most people on the internet, but he would be quickly pegged as being a native French speaker by most native English speakers. Yet I don't think anyone would, or even could dispute his fluency in English.

Ok my rant is done.

Edited by Walshy on 25 January 2006 at 4:57am

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6825 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 49
25 January 2006 at 6:12am | IP Logged 
fanatic wrote:
...but make mistakes and mix your words and grammar at times, or speak with a strong accent...

Everyone does this with their mother tongue, let alone with a learned language.

I can't see anything wrong with claiming to be "fluent" (there's that word again!) if you can understand most written texts in any language. Speaking isn't everything. For example, someone fluent in Latin might find it hard to practice their oral skills in the language, but if they can read Cicero they're fluent in my book.

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6902 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 6 of 49
25 January 2006 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
I think you could call yourself fluent in another language when you can get into a 30+ minute conversation with a native speaker, understand 98-99% of their sentences and be able to respond with everything you would like to say with confidence (without too much hesitating). That leaves room for grammatical mistakes and accents, maybe you don’t say everything the way you want to, but you are able to communicate your point. I think that you could claim to be fluent when native speakers don’t have to slow their speech and don’t find your errors or accent a hindrance to communication.

Edited by Farley on 25 January 2006 at 12:30pm

rafaelrbp
Pentaglot
Brazil
Joined 6823 days ago

181 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Spanish, English, French, Italian
Studies: German

Message 7 of 49
25 January 2006 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
It's very sad that in order to measure our fluency we always have to consider the "native speaker" element.

So, you can't be fluent by yourself, you need to be understood by others. It's a very demanding skill, like an ability that only makes sense when tested.

This remembers me the Friends' episode that Joey is learning French. The tape says one thing, and he repeats "bla ble blu" and then the tapes goes on: "well done!"

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6704 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 49
25 January 2006 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
I second all of what Farley says there.