393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 22
23 March 2010 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
Chung wrote:
fruit: fruit (m) (French); frutto (m) / frutta (f) (Italian); fruta (f) (Spanish)

Fruto (m) also exists in Spanish.

But doesn't the masculine form of a fruit mean the tree that produces it? Like "la naranja" = "the orange" and "el naranjo" means "the orange tree"? So it would remain feminine in this example to keep the congruency.
1 person has voted this message useful

kerateo
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 5455 days ago

112 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: Italian

Message 18 of 22
23 March 2010 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
Personally, for French and Italian I just use the Spanish gender, I know I will be right 90-95% of the time, and since I don't care about having more than a 80 % fluency, that works perfect for me. In the time you learn all the minor differences you could actually learn another language :).

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5262 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 19 of 22
23 March 2010 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
goosefrabbas wrote:
tractor wrote:
Chung wrote:
fruit: fruit (m) (French); frutto (m) / frutta (f) (Italian); fruta (f) (Spanish)

Fruto (m) also exists in Spanish.

But doesn't the masculine form of a fruit mean the tree that produces it? Like "la naranja" = "the orange" and "el naranjo" means "the orange tree"? So it would remain feminine in this example to keep the congruency.

No, fruto is not the tree, it is the fruit. The feminine fruta is used for the ones we typically eat, e.g. oranges.

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6474 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 20 of 22
26 March 2010 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
The reinterpretation of Latin gender in the modern Romance languages doesn't seem to follow a recognizable pattern. Compare the terms for "milk" and "sea" to see how neuter Latin words are represented in French, Italian, and Spanish.

There is a recognizable pattern: words that were feminine in Latin are generally feminine in the modern Romance languages, words that were neuter or masculin are masculine in today's Romance languages.

The exceptions you cited are exactly that: exceptions. For the vast majority of nouns the above rule is valid.

PS: This is especially true for large classes of nouns sharing certain cognate endings: -tion, -cao, -cion, -zione almost always indicate feminine nouns.

Edited by Marc Frisch on 26 March 2010 at 8:57pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6965 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 21 of 22
28 March 2010 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
Marc Frisch wrote:
Chung wrote:
The reinterpretation of Latin gender in the modern Romance languages doesn't seem to follow a recognizable pattern. Compare the terms for "milk" and "sea" to see how neuter Latin words are represented in French, Italian, and Spanish.

There is a recognizable pattern: words that were feminine in Latin are generally feminine in the modern Romance languages, words that were neuter or masculin are masculine in today's Romance languages.

The exceptions you cited are exactly that: exceptions. For the vast majority of nouns the above rule is valid.

PS: This is especially true for large classes of nouns sharing certain cognate endings: -tion, -cao, -cion, -zione almost always indicate feminine nouns.

Somehow I'm not comfortable with writing off these differences as just exceptions. It seems that many of the modern languages had differing handling for cognates that were originally neuter in Classical Latin (it reminds me somewhat of how declension of numerals in most Slavonic languages numerals got "screwed up" when the dual faded away).

Here are a couple of sources which show that a simple generalization of cognates' gender to all Romance languages using the example of just one or two Romance languages is far less useful than one would think.

http://dspace.nitle.org/handle/10090/8323 (scroll down the screen to click on a .pdf link that is called "s10inde2008washington.pdf" in the box "Files in this item")

The study's author finds that gender incongruency for cognates in the modern Romance languages is affected by idiosyncratic developments (e.g. analogies, phonological changes to old endings) in each of the descendants of Vulgar Latin. In addition she finds that modern cognates originating from the third declension in Latin (which also was the largest class of nouns) had their genders reinterpreted the most among the modern Romance languages. It has partially something to do with how the endings were starting to be mixed up even in Vulgar Latin which had already reduced the three genders of Classical Latin into two. It is illuminating how the study explains why Romance cognates for "flower", "colour", "milk", "sea" and many others appear with genders that vary from one language to the next (the analysis of the inconsistencies in cognates from the third declension begins on Chapter 4 or p. 38 of the study). Pages 52-55 have tables showing the inconsistency of gender assignment in commonly-used Romance cognates. The largest list of irregularities comes from the cognates of the 3rd declension in Latin.

http://accurapid.com/journal/42gender.htm

This is a translator's "cheat sheet" for managing to keep track of gender for cognates in Romance. It shows example cognates from Portuguese, Spanish, French, Italian and Latin (sorry, no Romanian).

The "femininity" of nouns ending in -tion, -cao, -cion, -zione is well-known, and this trait has also passed on into German with loanwords ending with the suffix also being feminine. However, many nouns in Romance do not come with such a sure-fire marker of grammatical gender like -tion/-cao/-cion/-zione, and it's not as if a noticeable part of every-day lexicon is dominated by words ending in this way.

I have found that a better approach for learning gender in Romance languages is to try first to detect patterns applicable to the Romance language in question, rather than try to "cheat" by applying gender assignment in the related languages. When I was taking Latin in high school, I tried to cheat a bit by assigning French genders to Latin words if I couldn't remember the gender in the Latin ancestor. Now, if I could have got a dime for every half-point lost on those Latin tests because I was assigning the wrong gender to Latin words by relying on my background in French... Learning Romanian was a similar story for me. I pretty much had to learn genders one-by-one for most new words because of all of the development and external influence since it evolved from Vulgar Latin, with genders of cognates not usually matching what I was used to in French or from what I could remember in Latin.
2 persons have voted this message useful

crackpot
Triglot
Canada
Joined 6110 days ago

144 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 22 of 22
28 March 2010 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
I have to agree with kerateo on this. Though I know French better, I sometimes use
Spanish to help me remember the gender of French words and I'm right 95% of the time. If
I'm writing something I would look it up but for online chatting or everyday speech no
problem.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version