jody
United States
Joined 6024 days ago

242 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Bulgarian

Message 1 of 3
22 March 2010 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
I apologize if a similar question has been asked before, but I have a few specific things to add. Please note that I am not attempting to discuss religion in this post. I am only discussing church issues to answer my language learning questions. Please do not reply with religious comments. (Feel free to send any such questions to me privately and we'll discuss there.)

First of all, I am a unilingual American (maybe that's enough said. LOL.) I'm still a beginner in Russian studies, and progressing very slowly. I recently started attending a Ukrainian Catholic Church where they, naturally, speak Ukrainian. How similar, or how different, is this language from Russian? If I continue my Russian studies, will I be helped or hindered by interacting with Ukrainian people and church services?

Next, what kind of Ukrainian is likely to be used in the litergy? Do they use modern Ukrainian, or some sort of old form like Old Church Slavonic or something? And how would this affect my Russian studies?

Finally, when we take communion, the priest says something. In English "Jody, servant of God receives the precious and all holy and most pure Body and Blood of our Lord and God, Jesus Christ for the remission of his sins and for life everlasting." I cannot find the Ukrainian translation, and the priest says it differently than is written in the missal. Anyway, my question is, does anybody how to say this in Ukrainian?

Thanks for all your comments.

Jody

1 person has voted this message useful

jody
United States
Joined 6024 days ago

242 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Bulgarian

Message 2 of 3
22 March 2010 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
Oh, one more thing. There's a word he uses, and I just cannot remember what it means although it sounds so familiar. I don't know how to spell it in Ukranian. Something like "ye-ZHA-e-tse". Sorry for the horrible transliteration, but I don't know how to spell it correctly.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6942 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 3 of 3
22 March 2010 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
From what I can remember when I was learning Ukrainian...

1) Ukrainian uses vocative whereas Russian doesn't.

2) The visual giveaway for Ukrainian Cyrillic versus Russian Cyrillic is that the former uses ґ, є, and ï. On the other hand Russian uses ë, ъ, ы, and э which Ukrainian does not.

3) Ukrainian can express an imperfective future action with the suffix -му attached to the infinitive in addition to future tense of бути + infinitive. Russian does not use the suffix -му for such actions.

e.g.

Я читатиму / Я буду читати (Ukrainian)
Я буду читать (Russian)

4) Ukrainian recognizes the sounds for "g" (ґ) , "h" (г) and "kh" (x). Russian recognizes only "g" (г) and "kh" (x) in comparison. This is also tied to the observation that a word with г (which is pronounced as "g") in Russian usually has an Ukrainian cognate with г (which is pronounced as "h").

5) Russian's vowel reduction is very strong in comparison to Ukrainian's. Unstressed Ukrainian vowels don't often sound as different from their stressed versions as is the case in Russian (e.g. the unstressed "o" in Russian can sound closer to "a").

6) There is a relatively large stock of Polish loanwords in Ukrainian which Russian does not have.

7) Ukrainian tends to have "i" in place of "e" or "o" in the Russian cognate (This tendency is especially common in words that end in closed syllables (i.e. the word doesn't end in a vowel)).

e.g.
вісім (Ukrainian); восемь (Russian)
вікно (Ukrainian); окнo (Russian)
він (Ukrainian); он (Russian)
ніч (Ukrainian); ночь (Russian)
я піду (Ukrainian); я пойду (Russian)

стiл - столи (Ukrainian); стол - столы (Russian) (Notice how the "i" and "o" can alternate in Ukrainian depending on whether the word ends with an open syllable (i.e. with a vowel) or not).

Here are a few threads which talk about differences between the two.

answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070706001906AAkmuoN (differences between Russian and Ukrainian)

www.waytorussia.net/TalkLounge/quote-85128.html (differences between Russian and Ukrainian)

forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1131535 (differences between Belorussian or Ukrainian and Russian upon listening to them)

forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1170282 (difference between Russian in Ukraine and Russian in Russia - somewhat relevant to the discussion on differences between Ukr. and Rus.)

Unfortunately, I can't offer any commentary about liturgical Ukrainian.

7 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version