China
Joined 5520 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 9 of 19
24 March 2010 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
Delodephius wrote:
I plan to learn both, so in order to make a task simpler the best thing is to learn the Traditional characters first. At least this is what I have been advised and to me it seems logical.

I have been thinking of first learning as much as Traditional characters as I can with the resources I have (Rosetta Stone, Heising, Smart.fm) and then when I start Colloquial or Teach Yourself I'll practice with both scripts by trying to transcribe Simplified into Traditional.

You know that this'll damn you to years of learning with slow progress? The initial hanzi hump is considerable and most people give up before they reach the summit and it gets easier. Since it's for the most part the frequently used characters that got simplified, you're basically doubling the entry barrier for yourself. Just learn one system until you're comfortable with it, and then learn the other, that's by far the better way, imho. It doesn't really matter that much which one you're learning first.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5166 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 10 of 19
24 March 2010 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
Pyx wrote:
Delodephius wrote:
I plan to learn both, so in order to make a task
simpler the best thing is to learn the Traditional characters first. At least this is
what I have been advised and to me it seems logical.

I have been thinking of first learning as much as Traditional characters as I can with
the resources I have (Rosetta Stone, Heising, Smart.fm) and then when I start
Colloquial or Teach Yourself I'll practice with both scripts by trying to transcribe
Simplified into Traditional.

You know that this'll damn you to years of learning with slow progress? The initial
hanzi hump is considerable and most people give up before they reach the summit and it
gets easier. Since it's for the most part the frequently used characters that got
simplified, you're basically doubling the entry barrier for yourself. Just learn one
system until you're comfortable with it, and then learn the other, that's by far the
better way, imho. It doesn't really matter that much which one you're learning first.

I have to second that. I'd say concentrate on one and expose yourself to the other, but
learning either system takes a lot of time so unless you've got incredibly strong
motivation...

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5188 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 11 of 19
24 March 2010 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
I don't plan to learn Simplified for a year or two. I'm not planning to learn both script simultaneously if that is what you meant.

Pyx
Diglot
China
Joined 5520 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 

Message 12 of 19
24 March 2010 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
Delodephius wrote:
I don't plan to learn Simplified for a year or two. I'm not planning to learn both script simultaneously if that is what you meant.

That's good to hear, but I'm not sure you know what you're getting yourself into. Teach yourself and these kinds of things are SUPER BEGINNER stuff! It's not like you learn 500 characters (which is a lot of work, btw), breeze through Teach Yourself, polish up on some Confucius, and then you speak Chinese. It'll take years of concentrated effort to get to a level where you can easily read books (unlike in many European languages, where you can start doing that after a month or two), and only then you'll want to learn the other character set too. So when you say you'll start transcribing traditional to simplified when you start those beginner books, then you're just having a wrong picture of the whole process. Now keep in mind, I"m not meaning to discourage you, but rather to spare you desperation a few hundred characters down the road! :)

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6079 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 13 of 19
24 March 2010 at 5:25am | IP Logged 
Bit by bit there is more stuff out in Taiwan that has both bopomofo and pinyin. (Even stuff for kids.)

Once you know one, it is pretty easy to learn the other.

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5188 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 14 of 19
24 March 2010 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
Pyx wrote:
Delodephius wrote:

That's good to hear, but I'm not sure you know what you're getting yourself into. Teach yourself and these kinds of things are SUPER BEGINNER stuff! It's not like you learn 500 characters (which is a lot of work, btw), breeze through Teach Yourself, polish up on some Confucius, and then you speak Chinese. It'll take years of concentrated effort to get to a level where you can easily read books (unlike in many European languages, where you can start doing that after a month or two), and only then you'll want to learn the other character set too. So when you say you'll start transcribing traditional to simplified when you start those beginner books, then you're just having a wrong picture of the whole process. Now keep in mind, I"m not meaning to discourage you, but rather to spare you desperation a few hundred characters down the road! :)

Then what are good courses for the intermediate level?

Pyx
Diglot
China
Joined 5520 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 

Message 15 of 19
24 March 2010 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
Delodephius wrote:
Pyx wrote:
Delodephius wrote:

Since you quoted me I feel compelled to answer, even though I can't offer any good advice there, sorry. I'm just learning with native materials, dictionaries, and a SRS. No textbooks.

OneEye
Diglot
Japan
Joined 6635 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 16 of 19
24 March 2010 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
Delodephius wrote:

If you're serious about learning Chinese, you also need to pick better beginning courses. The DeFrancis series (Beginning Chinese, Beginning Chinese Reader, Intermediate Chinese, etc.) is great. They're in traditional characters, with a supplement for simplified in the back. For the regular books (not the readers), you should get the version called "Character Text for Beginning Chinese" rather than the regular one, which is only in pinyin. The books are older, and you'll almost certainly need to buy used, but they're really good.

Another option is Practical Chinese Reader, which is available in both Traditional and Simplified versions. Note, this isn't "New Practical Chinese Reader," which I don't like nearly as much. These books are older, like the DeFrancis series. My university uses PCR I and II to cover the first year and a half of Chinese courses. The second half of the second year is Intermediate Reader of Modern Chinese by Chih-ping Chou, which I also like. I haven't taken these courses, but I used the books to learn on my own.

The good thing about the PCR books is the huge amount of material available to help you with them. For instance, this site has lots of good stuff. There are SRS decks out there with all the vocab in the same order as the book presents it, and all kinds of other stuff. That's the great thing about these classic courses -- there's so much supplementary material out there.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version