Joined 5089 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 25 of 34
23 July 2010 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
mrhenrik wrote:
the Assimil "ideology", which often speaks of not trying to remember rules or memorise things.

Does it really? So if you're not to remember rules, why does it tell you them, remind you of them, then lay them out again as revision?

Most language learning methods do exactly the same things -- it's that they each say "ah but this bit's the most important". For Assimil, "this bit" is the dialogues, which they claim you "assimilate" -- you don't. They tell you the rules and let you see how they work -- just like every other course. It's nothing revolutionary -- if it is genuinely more effective than other courses, they've just improved the balance and pacing a bit, that's all.

As far as my understanding of the Assimil method goes, they say that you don't need to memorize the grammair rules because they use it over and over again. So basically you drill the rules without knowing it. They try to reinforce your acquisition with the excersise, especially in Read and translate section of a lesson.

I do believe, as you do, that Assimil work like every other courses. It's just build in a more efficient manner.

For the russian edition (in French), I wish they were less and more concise footnotes. In my version, most of the lessons, have as many grammars explanations or more than dialogue and exercises. Sometime you are just overwhelm with not so important details at your current stage.
1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6730 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 26 of 34
23 July 2010 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
They tell you the rules and let you see how they work -- just like every other course. It's nothing revolutionary -- if it is genuinely more effective than other courses, they've just improved the balance and pacing a bit, that's all.

If you compare Assimil to traditional grammar-based courses, the latter often don't provide translations for their reading passages. This may be the biggest difference between the "grammar-based" and "intuitive" approaches. When the translation is readily available, you use it to get the hang of what's going on with just a bit of help from the grammar notes.

The amount of grammar notes required may then have to do with how steeply graded the reading passages are. Berlitz Self-Teacher courses are graded gently, so they have fewer grammar notes; Cortina courses ramp things up more quickly, so they have more grammar notes.

Edited by frenkeld on 23 July 2010 at 2:10am

2 persons have voted this message useful

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5866 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 34
23 July 2010 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
mrhenrik wrote:
the Assimil "ideology", which often speaks of not
trying to remember rules or memorise things.

Does it really? So if you're not to remember rules, why does it tell you them, remind
you of them, then lay them out again as revision?

Most language learning methods do exactly the same things -- it's that they each say
"ah but this bit's the most important". For Assimil, "this bit" is the dialogues, which
they claim you "assimilate" -- you don't. They tell you the rules and let you see how
they work -- just like every other course. It's nothing revolutionary -- if it is
genuinely more effective than other courses, they've just improved the balance and
pacing a bit, that's all.

It explains rules every 7 lessons, but emphasises (at least in French with Ease) that
this is just to tell you why things are how they are, explain the patterns you have
seen etc. It explicitly tells you not to put any effort into remembering rules. You
read them, understand them and move on.

Edited by mrhenrik on 23 July 2010 at 1:23am

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6890 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 28 of 34
23 July 2010 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Most language learning methods do exactly the same things -- it's that they each say "ah but this bit's the most important". For Assimil, "this bit" is the dialogues, which they claim you "assimilate" -- you don't. They tell you the rules and let you see how they work -- just like every other course. It's nothing revolutionary -- if it is genuinely more effective than other courses, they've just improved the balance and pacing a bit, that's all.

Well with any language course I own, I can always pick out some similarities of approach. However, there are also differences - FSI, for example, tells you the rules and rather than just "let you see how they work" beats them into you with a large mallet. The Assimil approach, to my mind, is more a reversal of the order you've stated - the language is offered and then the rules are pointed out. I don't think I would classify it as "revolutionary" either, no matter how much of a fan I am. Whether it'll be genuinely effective for you, only you can tell. The courses don't appear to suit everyone's learning style - and yes I know you think there's no such thing :-)

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5240 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 29 of 34
23 July 2010 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
tractor wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
The only thing in Catalan which doesn't occur in any of
them is the periphrastic past (anar
fer) [...]

In El catalán sin esfuerzo it does occur, but I don't think it's the same course as the French based one.

What I mean is that it is the only grammatical feature that I am aware of in the Catalan language which doesn't arise
as a grammatical feature of the French language, Italian language or Spanish language. The French-base Catalan
course does teach the pasat perifràstic.

Oh, I see. By "in any of them" I thought you referred to the courses, not the languages.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5938 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 30 of 34
27 July 2010 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
Having used Spanish, French and Hungarian Assimil I like their intended approach but I don't like the actual execution in a large number of lessons. If I'm learning a language, I don't mind redundant information. E.g. He stirred the tea with his spoon, and cut the bread with his knife. This makes it easier to remember vocabulary. If this was an Assimil lesson the person would stir their tea with a banana, and cut the bread with a scythe.

I don't like working out a surreal situation while also learning a language. In Spanish Assimil a man is murdered by words leaping off a page and down his throat. Hungarian Assimil features a very odd dream sequence, and a nightmarish lesson about moving house using a plethora of Hungarian cases. There is also a somewhat nasty misogynistic streak to some Assimil lessons. I like the Assimil idea, but I have a lot of misgivings about the actual content.

Edited by DaraghM on 27 July 2010 at 10:28am

johntm93
United States
Joined 5114 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 31 of 34
27 July 2010 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
There is also a somewhat nasty misogynistic streak to some Assimil lessons.
Is it bad I kind of laughed at this? The thought of someone devising a language course and thinking "How can I make fun of women while teaching a language....hmmm...THAT'S IT! I'll put it into my lessons!"
I'm not saying there isn't anything misogynistic in their lessons, I don't know, but the thought seems weird to me. I haven't noticed any in the old German without Toil.

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5240 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 32 of 34
27 July 2010 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
Some of what I like about Assimil is that there's some humour and that the texts are not dead boring.

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version