jjkane
United States
Joined 5028 days ago

5 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 17 of 20
23 June 2010 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
I recently found this site of which Professor Arquelles writes and it definitely is amazing! Thank you Professor Arquelles!
2 persons have voted this message useful

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7016 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 18 of 20
11 December 2010 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
Greetings!

There are now 517 different languages in these museums.

I have stopped using a red font face to indicate those languages that do not play properly on the widget because I cannot keep up-to-date on this, but thankfully it appears to be less of a problem than it was some months ago.

I would like to get rid of the blue font face as well, which I have been using to indicate those languages that I cannot identify properly. However, there are still five “blue letter” languages: two are apparently variants of larger languages (Indonesian, Peranakan (Shellabear) and Yoruba (Iroyin Ayo)), but I cannot determine in what sense they are different from them; for two more (Mada and Kono), there are multiple Ethnologue listings for languages with the same name and I cannot determine which these are; and for the last (Lukakamega (Kakamega)), there is no Ethnologue listing at all.

Might anyone be up for the challenge of identifying these five?

AA
3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 20
11 December 2010 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
I don't quite understand what you mean by "identify properly". As you state on the homepage of your museum Peranakan is "Chinese Indonesian" (ie. creolized Bahasa Indonesia as spoken mainly by Chinese - mainly Hokkien speaking - immigrants in for instance Singapore) - isn't that sufficiently precise? As far as I can se the Ethnologue site has a reference under the code 'pea'

The only thing I would add is that at the Peranakan Museum in Singapore there were also Indian objects and other kinds of references to Indian immigrants, so those of Indian stock are apparently also included into the Peranakan population segment - which linguistically may therefore be divided into several distinct groups, insofar they haven't given up their 'Peranakanan' heritage.

Sorry that I couldn't be more precise - but I'm happy to greet you once again here at HTLAL.

Edited by Iversen on 11 December 2010 at 11:19pm

1 person has voted this message useful

xmacubex
India
Joined 5038 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Studies: Tamil, Malayalam*
Studies: English

Message 20 of 20
29 June 2011 at 7:54am | IP Logged 
I don't know if you already know this,butI found out that the "audio bible ambassador(ABA)" software that this site uses to download files is basically torrent downloading software. You can find the torrent file in the folder of the audiobook that you're downloading. After you started downloading with ABA you can shift it to utorrent if you'd like :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version