ManicGenius
United States
Joined 5276 days ago

288 posts - 420 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, French, Japanese

Message 1 of 11
26 March 2010 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
I'm kind've doing a hybrid of my Assimil courses and the Antimoon/AJATT method with Anki.
And I'm wondering how many sentences there are per course. If other people were
wondering this would be a good place to post.

One thing I've noticed so far is that each course is really varied. I'm only 9 lessons
into New French with Ease and I've compiled about 130 unique sentences already
(main dialog along with excercises). However Japanese had about 70-80 at this stage.

If you got something on a course, add it. Be it Without Toil or With Ease.
1 person has voted this message useful

kerateo
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 5441 days ago

112 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: Italian

Message 2 of 11
26 March 2010 at 5:14am | IP Logged 
I think someone already did what you are doing and it did not work. The thing is that Assimil is progressive, what that means is that it starts with easy sentences and works on them, using different structures with the previous words, and new words with previous structures. My advice is that if you are going to use Assimil, use the Assimil method, If you are using the AJATT method, use real world sentences from newspapers and such.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ManicGenius
United States
Joined 5276 days ago

288 posts - 420 votes 

Message 3 of 11
26 March 2010 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
kerateo wrote:
I think someone already did what you are doing and it did not work.

I've been doing this for awhile and it works quite well. I don't enter all the sentences en masse (which I'm assuming is the failure of this other person you're referring to). I only enter them the day after I have studied the lesson. I still continually study the lessons the "Assimil" way. Just reviews are relegated to Anki.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5217 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 11
27 March 2010 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
ManicGenius wrote:
kerateo wrote:
I think someone already did what you are doing and it did not work.

I've been doing this for awhile and it works quite well. I don't enter all the sentences en masse (which I'm assuming is the failure of this other person you're referring to). I only enter them the day after I have studied the lesson. I still continually study the lessons the "Assimil" way. Just reviews are relegated to Anki.
I think he was referring to your using of Assimil and AJATT, not Assimil and Anki.

delectric
Diglot
China
Joined 6976 days ago

608 posts - 733 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: German

Message 5 of 11
27 March 2010 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
I'm inputting all the stuff from Assimil French with Ease into supermemo as I work on
the course. Sometimes it's the whole dialogue sometimes I just ask what a word in a
sentence means. All the grammar stuff goes in. I'm on lesson 25 now.

As I'm entering stuff I listen to the audio on a loop. As I put the sentences into
supermemo I end my learning session by having a good understanding of the audio. I use
mobi-pocket reader on my windows mobile phone and pocket supermemo so the whole process
is very easy.

My method isn't like the AJATT exactly. It's more thorough. If it's only one word that
it hindering my understanding my question will just ask the meaning of the word (but
give the whole sentence as an example). If I need to put the whole sentence in then I
do. Either way, assimil mobi-reader is already in digital format so the process is
quick. I spend about 45 minutes making supermemo flash cards from the lesson.

I don't know why it didn't work for the other person. Using an Supermemo/Anki along
with Assimil should be more powerful than using Assimil on its own. As long as you
follow the Assimil method it's no problem. Supermemo/Anki is your insurance that you
will fully remember the content of the lessons.

I just wish I could buy more digital editions of all the assimil courses so that they
can easily be 'supermemoed'. I've bought other Assimil courses in book format and no
doubt ,I will eventually have to turn them into editable text through an OCR program so
that I can fully use the content in the future.

Assimil should really think about bringing out more digital material. No doubt they
will be worried that people will rip them off but they need to move along with the
times otherwise the times will move along without them.

ManicGenius
United States
Joined 5276 days ago

288 posts - 420 votes 

Message 6 of 11
27 March 2010 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
Johntm wrote:
I think he was referring to your using of Assimil and AJATT, not Assimil
and Anki.

See that's what's confusing to me. Both methods are essentially the same when you
compare the first phase of Assimil to the Antimoon process. All I'm doing is extending
the first phase of Assimil more or less to that "10000" mark. Part of the confusion
here may lay in the fact that I didn't fully explain my process.

I am doing the Assimil method. Phase one and phase two. I'm just extending phase one to
the mass input concept.

Once phase one of Assimil is complete and all my sentences are entered for all the
lessons, I start "mining" sentences (although realistically by this point I've already
begun to do that). All this time I am still doing the Assimil method by working
through phase two. Usually at the halfway point by this time on phase two.

Also this isn't really asking whether or not the method works. It seems to be working
well enough for me. I think the main portion of it and probably the most important is
to do the initial learning the Assimil way. Everything else is just to maintain what
I've learned and to eventually extend it.

Edited by ManicGenius on 27 March 2010 at 9:08pm

ManicGenius
United States
Joined 5276 days ago

288 posts - 420 votes 

Message 7 of 11
27 March 2010 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
delectric wrote:

I just wish I could buy more digital editions of all the assimil courses so that they
can easily be 'supermemoed'. I've bought other Assimil courses in book format and no
doubt ,I will eventually have to turn them into editable text through an OCR program so
that I can fully use the content in the future.

Assimil should really think about bringing out more digital material. No doubt they
will be worried that people will rip them off but they need to move along with the
times otherwise the times will move along without them.

I find the act of typing works for me the same way that people learn by writing.
Physical movement helps me learn and remember. So for me, even if they came out with a
digital edition I'd still prefer the paperback. (OR HARDCOVERS! Please Assimil, release
hardcover editions!)

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5217 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 8 of 11
28 March 2010 at 6:42am | IP Logged 
ManicGenius wrote:
Johntm wrote:
I think he was referring to your using of Assimil and AJATT, not Assimil
and Anki.

See that's what's confusing to me. Both methods are essentially the same when you
compare the first phase of Assimil to the Antimoon process. All I'm doing is extending
the first phase of Assimil more or less to that "10000" mark. Part of the confusion
here may lay in the fact that I didn't fully explain my process.

I am doing the Assimil method. Phase one and phase two. I'm just extending phase one to
the mass input concept.

Once phase one of Assimil is complete and all my sentences are entered for all the
lessons, I start "mining" sentences (although realistically by this point I've already
begun to do that). All this time I am still doing the Assimil method by working
through phase two. Usually at the halfway point by this time on phase two.

Also this isn't really asking whether or not the method works. It seems to be working
well enough for me. I think the main portion of it and probably the most important is
to do the initial learning the Assimil way. Everything else is just to maintain what
I've learned and to eventually extend it.
I haven't used either method (yet), I was just posting because to me at least, it seemed he was referring to the use of Assimil and Antimoon/AJATT as opposed to Assimil+Anki.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version