Kampernaut
United Kingdom
Joined 5178 days ago

38 posts - 54 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 9 of 11
30 March 2010 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
I'm doing New French With Ease and am making flashcards for things I don't really know in the second wave only.
I put the original French sentences, phrases or fragments on one side and the English translation on the other. I
try to select fragments that illustrate the grammatical point that I didn't quite get during the first wave as
revealed by my attempts to translate in the second wave e.g. change of partitive article form from de la, du and
des to de when in the negative or with a quantity. Another example might be to ensure that the fragment
illustrates the gender of an unfamiliar noun or the conjugation of an irregular verb. I will often combine several
things I didn't remember into new sentences or fragments although there is a risk you can get this wrong.

I chose to do this in the second wave only because Assimil already has repetition built into the lessons. Words,
phrases and grammar introduced in one lesson is repeated often in subsequent lessons so you do absorb some
of it naturally. That is also what Assimil instruct you to do with the materials in the first wave. I think creating
flashcards simply augments the active tasks of spoken and written translation that Assimil instruct you to
perform in the second wave. Doing the cards in this way cuts down the amount of work. I have 39 cards after
the second wave on the first ten lessons.

I find that the process of creating these flashcards is what helps me truly learn the bit of language I didn't really
get first time around. It seems to force my mind to live with the new words or grammar for a few minutes. It's
the active process of doing something with the things you haven't let learned that helps. For me the translation
exercises required of you by the course are sometimes not enough.

The spaced repetition review on my iPhone flashcard program just takes a few minutes and will hopefully make
sure that I stand a chance of remembering things in the long term. I'll know in a few months if my strategy
really worked.
2 persons have voted this message useful

delectric
Diglot
China
Joined 6977 days ago

608 posts - 733 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: German

Message 10 of 11
30 March 2010 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Kampernaut what spaced repetition program do you use on your iphone?
1 person has voted this message useful

Kampernaut
United Kingdom
Joined 5178 days ago

38 posts - 54 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 11 of 11
30 March 2010 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
delectric wrote:
Kampernaut what spaced repetition program do you use on your iphone?

Flashcards Deluxe

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version