Joined 6675 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 19
17 April 2010 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
Marikki wrote:
However I do agree with Kounotori, in general Finnish we wouldn't shorten suuri to suur.

Me too. The comparison made by Chung is still valid, simply labelling it "dialectal" rather than "colloquial".

When forming compound words though, the "i" in "suuri" is dropped as a rule: suurperhe, suurvoittaja, suurmestari, suurpiirteinen etc. and this is strictly formal and official, nothing colloquial about it at all.
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5337 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 18 of 19
16 September 2010 at 8:52am | IP Logged 
Thanks for posting this, Chung. I was just reading a related article on the Guardian website, and wondering about the mutual intelligibility of Finnish and Hungarian. This answers my questions perfectly!

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 19 of 19
17 September 2010 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
You're welcome, Teango.

That link to the Guardian's question-and-answer page is a bit of "old hat" in that it degenerates into yet another argument over the Hungarians' origins. In particular, it is striking the degree or even vehemence put forth by people weighing in on the matter. However it also seems as if the linguists are entitled to have their conclusions carry the day even in questions or topics for which linguistics provides at best an incomplete answer (see especially Larry Trask's post in that link)

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version