Pentaglot
Belgium
Joined 5005 days ago

37 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Dutch, Flemish*, English, German, French
Studies: Swedish, Welsh

Message 9 of 11
05 May 2011 at 8:47am | IP Logged 
I'm also studying Welsh at the moment and I'm using the books by Gareth King (you can find them all on Amazon). He's written amongst others the 'Colloquial Welsh' textbook, but also some others which are more detailed grammar books eg.

- Basic Welsh: a grammar and textbook
- Intermediate Welsh: a grammar and textbook
- Modern Welsh: a comprehensive grammar
- Modern Welsh dictionary: a guide to the living language

I find them very good and very explanatory. And for the Colloquial book, there are audio tapes as well.

I also use the BBC site but more as a second source, ie. I try to study a bit from my books, and then listen to the dialogues on the BBC site to see if I understand what is being said.
1 person has voted this message useful

Alexander86
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
alanguagediary.blogs
Joined 4775 days ago

224 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 10 of 11
05 May 2011 at 9:00am | IP Logged 
Right! Having lived in Wales for most of my life, having had Welsh lessons in school
and now turning to learning it myself after learning other languages I thought I would
add in my two cents:

Like Sabrina VG I would recommend the Colloquial Welsh series, not that I have used it,
but having looked through it and used the Catalan and Swedish one a bit I think that
looks like a great introduction.

Buy a normal dictionary, not a huge one, but one where you're likely to find the words
you want up until an upper intermediate level. I would recommend the Oxford one.

The Teach Yourself Welsh is fine, but maybe as a secondary resource? Again it depends
on what books and courses suit your learning, you may prefer one to the other and I may
prefer the one you don't like. Don't be scared to cast the net wide in search of a good
book. The amount of courses I used to get good in Spanish!!

Secondly, there is a free 4 hour course on the OU 'openlearn' website, maybe you could
use that as an introduction?

The BBC site obviously provides not only a wealth of information to learn, but also
radio, TV and other tidbits that could really give your learning a concrete foundation
- I think these materials have to be an important part of any Welsh learning since they
are free and very very accessible.

With regards to classes, I'm with you on the fact that the classes seem to be
incredibly slow at once a week, and then hard to get to if you want to learn faster...
Which is very frustrating! I intend to go to a class once I'm at an intermediate level,
whereby the class would help me work on areas I may have missed etc. This is what I did
with German and it seemed to work.

Basically, fish around for sources, find a coursebook you like and go for it. That's
what I'm going to do from September. (I would start now but I want to reach basic
fluency in German before I start Catalan and Welsh in September)...

Plus, Welsh isn't hard, it's just different!

Pob lwc!

Spanishdream
United Kingdom
Joined 4904 days ago

11 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Spanish, Italian

Message 11 of 11
12 May 2011 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
I live in Wales, Bangor. I go to the university there where I study French, Italian and
Spanish.

It's a nice language, flows smoothly though it does sound rough especially when they do
that clicking tongue sound sometimes.

Saysomethinginwelsh 'google it'

That taught me conversational Welsh. I can now have a conversation about why I'm here and
who I am among other things. I high reccomendation from me.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version