Groupie
United States
Joined 5126 days ago

57 posts - 83 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 1 of 10
28 March 2010 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
Hello, all! I am new here. I have been studying Arabic off and on for the past 10 yrs. Now, I am dead set determined, studying everyday, on it. My problem is grammar. I was never good with grammar in school, I think even now, I probably have about a 7th grade level, if that. My question is, do I have to slog thru tons and tons of grammar to learn Arabic or any language? I have tried reading some grammar books and I am sort of okay til they get to things like: making verbs passive, verbs in the Jussive, dual verbs, and on and on. I don't know how I am gonna get thru this!This sucks; I am trying my best to read on but my eyes are crossing and glazing over. Can I come back here and you guys can give me examples of a particular grammar point I don't get because I just don't get some of this stuff. P.S. I am not a total moron, lol! I know verbs, nouns, adj., etc. Its just when you start getting really deep that I lose focus and meaning. I mean, I swear, can't these guys write how to learn a point of grammar in English everybody gets??

JuJu
1 person has voted this message useful

snoppingasusual
Quadrilingual Hexaglot
Groupie
Lebanon
Joined 5327 days ago

49 posts - 65 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Egyptian), French*, English*, Arabic (Written)*, Arabic (Levantine)*, Spanish

Message 2 of 10
28 March 2010 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
Well, I can honestly say that your problem stems from the fact that Arabic grammar is
very different from English grammar. I know that a lot of these new grammatical concepts
are difficult to grasp in the early stages of learning, but you will eventually learn to
deal with them. If you need any sort of explanation on a new grammatical rule, then I
will be very glad to help you.

Because I am a native speaker of the Arabic language, I could not offer more helpful
advice. I hope you understand what I am trying to say.
3 persons have voted this message useful

loveroflanguage
Groupie
United States
Joined 5126 days ago

57 posts - 83 votes 

Message 3 of 10
29 March 2010 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
Thank you so much! Yes, I understand. I am just worried that without the grammar instruction, how badly that will stop me, or if I should just plod on thru and pray I learn it on the way. Right now, I am concentrating on small bits; I am reading, "Arabic Verbs & Essentials of Grammar 2E" by Jane Wightwick & Gaafar and another one she wrote called, "Easy Arabic Grammar". I am hoping these will help; so far, so good! lol! No major problems yet but I will still need you, so don't forget me!

JuJu

robsolete
Diglot
United States
Joined 5145 days ago

191 posts - 428 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 4 of 10
29 March 2010 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
I haven't started in earnest on Arabic yet, so I can't help you much. But my general impression with languages is that you're always better off learning grammar in context than just out of a book. Arabic surely requires more study for an English native than, say, Spanish or French. But other than doing some basic exercises I think it might be a better use of your time to just try to read Arabic newspapers and use the grammar references to analyze *why* they're written as they are. Once you can do that, try writing similar sentences on your own and, if you can swing it, going over your attempts with a native speaker.

Again, I haven't studied Arabic. But I think that learning grammar in a vacuum is the number one way to STOP studying a language out of sheer frustration and tedium.

Al-Irelandi
United Kingdom
Joined 5295 days ago

111 posts - 177 votes 

Message 5 of 10
29 March 2010 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
robsolete wrote:
But I think that learning grammar in a vacuum is the number one way to STOP studying a language out of sheer frustration and tedium.

I second that.

Jolly663
Saudi Arabia
Joined 5159 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Gulf)*

Message 6 of 10
01 April 2010 at 8:07am | IP Logged 
Arabic grammars is kind of difficult but not impossible
Keep doing
& I'll be glad to help you if you need

ANK47
Triglot
United States
thearabicstudent.blo
Joined 6857 days ago

188 posts - 259 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (classical)

Message 7 of 10
01 April 2010 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
The best way to learn is by seeing/hearing words used in sentences so you can get context. Studying grammar books is not the way to learn a language. Maybe once you know the language well and want to be more clear on certain aspects THEN you can read a grammar book, but grammar is boring and complex. You brain is built to learn languages, it just needs enough input. After a while you will know that one way of saying something is correct while the other way will just sound wrong. There's no need to know WHY it's wrong unless you want to be a linguistics or grammar teacher or something.

I'm decent at Arabic and I think something that helped me was ignoring all the case endings and just focusing on the actual language. I figured that if people can understand me without adding tanweens and fathas and dammas at the end of words then I don't need to do it. It's just superfluous. Plus no Arabs add those endings in everyday speech anyway. Don't focus on grammar. Just try to understand the meanings of words and get as many examples of how words are used as you can.
5 persons have voted this message useful

loveroflanguage
Groupie
United States
Joined 5126 days ago

57 posts - 83 votes 

Message 8 of 10
24 June 2010 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
I guess my biggest problem is not so much the grammar but that I cannot figure out how to structure sentences and it is frustrating. Is there any one set of particular rules to remember in order to structure a sentence that people will be able to understand me?

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version