Diglot
France
Joined 5862 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Korean

Message 25 of 73
04 April 2010 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for the inspiration "irishpolyglot". I've been in Berlin for 3 months now and, sadly, I have achieved very little fluency. Agreed, the main reason I'm here is not learning the language like you, but I haven't really put enough effort in speaking German (speaking English is so convenient!)... Your goal and techniques seem interesting and I will try and apply them during the time I have left here.

I wish you all the best for your project,
Matthieu

PS @ those who think reaching too high is unreasonnable:
“Shoot for the moon and if you miss you will still be among the stars.” :p
2 persons have voted this message useful

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5261 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 26 of 73
04 April 2010 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
irishpolyglot wrote:
@ruskivyetre
Danke :) Aber ich glaube, dass diese Forum auf Englisch bleiben muss. (Es gibt ein Teil auf Deutsch, oder?)
Mein Computer ist schon auf Deutsch
und ich spreche seit Montag kein Englisch (außer mit meinem Vermieter). Ich konnte ein 100% deutsche Leben
haben, aber ich muss arbeiten (übersetzen auf Englisch), meine andere Sprachen einhalten, und ich schreibe
auf Englisch gern (hier, E-mails, mein Blog u.s.w.)

Du musst die Ganze zeit auf Englisch nicht schreiben. In seinem Log, man kann auf seine Sprache schreiben :). Zum
Beispiel, ich schreibe auf Russisch, Deutsch, (und im Futur) auf Georgisch. Und ja, du kannst mit deinen Freunden
sprechen, aber sie werden dich nicht korrigieren. Hier können die Deutschsprecher dich korrigieren, und dann dein
Deutsch wird besser sein (man hofft). Aber es ist was du machen möchtest so es gibt kein Problem mit Schreiben
nur auf Englisch :).

Edited by ruskivyetr on 05 April 2010 at 11:32am

1 person has voted this message useful

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5413 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language
Studies: Mandarin

Message 27 of 73
06 April 2010 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
This language log has been a great idea! I decided to edit the above messages I wrote into a blog post. I'll continue to update here on occasion too though :)

@matthieu Thanks for the support! Speaking German is ALSO convenient in Berlin :P :P Hopefully my suggestions will help you!

@ruskivyetr Danke! Aber meine Freunde haben mich korrigiert und ich habe viel gelernt! Ich brauche Hilfe zuerst mit meiner gesprochenen Deutsch :)

scop
Diglot
Groupie
Ireland
Joined 5629 days ago

70 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: English*, Irish
Studies: German, Ancient Greek

Message 28 of 73
07 April 2010 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
Great stuff. I'm moving to Freiburg in October so if you pull this off I have no excuses! Great to see you have your Irish too - always a source of trouble for me personally but common among us Dubs as I am sure you know ;)

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5413 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language

Message 29 of 73
08 April 2010 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
@scop Freiburg is GORGEOUS. I was in Germany briefly before (although everything I did was in English back then), and I had a very brief internship in Freiburg. You'll love it!

Edited by irishpolyglot on 08 April 2010 at 2:31pm

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5413 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 

Message 30 of 73
08 April 2010 at 11:10am | IP Logged 
WEEK 2: Making a big sacrifice for the project

I have to say that I was very pleased with what I had achieved in my first 6 days! I had gotten over my discomfort to speak and I was speaking all the German I knew and maintaining pretty decent varied levels of conversation using various "language hacking" techniques that I've picked up over the years, despite a very limited range of vocabulary.

Keeping up this momentum will be crucial if I am to reach my initial goals, and that's why plateaus have to be admitted and eliminated.

This week is such a plateau! The first friend that visited me was perfect; patient enough to listen to me, yet no-B.S. enough to frankly tell me almost every single mistake that I was making, and it was kept up over days! I learned a huge amount in those days. But not everyone can be like that and this week from the friend currently visiting me I am getting no corrections at all (and I can even *feel* the mistakes constantly coming out of me!)

So apart from keeping up the rate of speaking regularly, I have not learned much since Sunday. This is reinforced by my need to work during the day (since I had taken my first week off for Easter). If the rest of my stay were to be similar to this week then I will have achieved only a marginal improvement in my German and will be very far from what I had initially aimed for. Some people reach the stage of being able to say "something" and simply stay there. I've seen it happen with expats hundreds of times.

Well, not me!

I have been thinking long and hard and I am going to have to make some sacrifices if I want this to work out. My current plan of full time work, plus trying to write a book, plus studying German, plus practising it, plus later preparing for the C2 exam is just not realistic. There really aren't enough hours in the day. Something has to give.

So after this weekend I'm going to block translation work for the rest of the month (temporarily, and then I'll see about May). Writing my book will at least be somewhat of a financial investment that will have to balance out lack of work. If I can release the guide next month then it should fill the financial gap left by not translating technical documents over the coming weeks.

I tend to work 10-12 hours a day as a translator (freelance and choosing your own hours unfortunately leads to accepting as much work as possible, i.e. too much), but I could reduce this to 6 hours a day as a writer and that would give me the time needed for the purposes of this project. This is a big sacrifice, because if things don't go well with the book, my current credit card debt will just get worse. But I am going to take this risk.

Is this particular post relevant to language learning? Definitely. Learning a language isn't just about grammar and vocabulary, but adapting your life in many ways to making it a part of your day and making sacrifices. I'm serious about this goal, so I have to make some hard choices for it to be realistic.

"The policy of being too cautious is the greatest risk of all."
    Jawaharlal Nehru (1889 - 1964)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5627 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 73
08 April 2010 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
Ich bin auch recht kommunikativ und neuen Kontakten gegenüber aufgeschlossen, aber ich würde in einer fremden Stadt nicht so schnell Kontakte knüpfen und ausbauen können wie du.

Es ist mit schon klar, dass man so ein 3-Monats-Projekt finanzieren muss. Wenn du gleichzeitig arbeiten musst in Berlin, dann kann es zum Stressfaktor werden.

Ich wünsche dir viele Sprechmöglichkeiten für die deutsche Sprache! Eine Zeitung zu lesen könnte vielleicht auch nützlich sein.

Viel Erfolg!

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 08 April 2010 at 5:58pm

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5413 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 

Message 32 of 73
09 April 2010 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
@Fasulye
Danke!! :) Das habe ich schon 40 Mal gemacht :P
Welche Zeitung würdet besser? Ich habe jeden Tag eine Zeitung auf Portugiesisch in Rio gelesen und die hat mir geholfen!

Edited by irishpolyglot on 09 April 2010 at 9:49am

This discussion contains 73 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version