Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5447 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 58 of 73
25 June 2010 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations on going through something so demanding. You clearly have very high energy levels. Good luck with the results.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Felipe
Triglot
United States
Joined 5808 days ago

451 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Italian, Dutch, Catalan

Message 59 of 73
26 June 2010 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
Very impressive, indeed.
1 person has voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5920 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 60 of 73
26 June 2010 at 7:42am | IP Logged 
Great job! I hope the news on July 12th will be good for you. If you do indeed pass the test, will you be changing German to advanced fluency on here? I was under the impression that the C2 level is essentially (near-) native proficiency, so I think if you pass, you would merit more than just basic fluency ranking. :)

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5411 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language

Message 61 of 73
26 June 2010 at 9:04am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the encouragement everyone :)
@Ellasevia - I don't actually pay much attention to the degrees of fluency on the site. I don't know what basic or advanced fluency is actually supposed to mean to be honest.

I'll have achieved a lot in 3 months, but even if I pass the exam I definitely wouldn't consider myself at near-native proficiency. My grammar and writing will have improved, so with a few seconds to think about it I can form quite good sentences. But my oral skills are way less impressive than they usually would be after my 3 month missions because I haven't been social enough this time. This means that, while speaking "fluently" I still make mistakes that I know are wrong. This would not be happening if the focus was on speaking rather than studying. I'm still not used to speaking German enough. It's a flaw in studying too much I point out a lot on my site, but something I had to do for seriously passing the exam overall (normally I am not so interested in writing/reading skills).

Whether I pass or fail, I'll likely leave my German at basic fluency on this site. Although I may possibly improve on that a lot over the coming weeks before I leave enough to be more confident. Time will tell!

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5334 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 62 of 73
03 July 2010 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
Keeping my fingers crossed for you for the 12th! :)

I wonder if you could give me some advice on the ZOP...

I'm currently toying with the idea of giving the exam a go myself later in the year, but can only find 5 sets of practice exercises (01-05) on the official Goethe website (one free, and the rest for about ten quid each).

1. Are these actually "past papers" or something slightly different? They look like past exam papers, and probably even smell like past exam papers ;), but I'm just not sure because of the German terminology...

2. I thought the ZOP had been running for a good while now, and was amazed to discover how few past papers were actually available. Am I missing something here...I've searched, but don't seem to be able to find any more so far? Perhaps it's possible to order more somewhere else...

3. What books would you heartily recommend in preparation for sitting the ZOP (i.e. what's the "bee's knees" here, as my mum would say)?

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5411 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language

Message 63 of 73
03 July 2010 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
Hey Teango :)
Go for it! It's quite difficult, but it's manageable. Even if I don't pass I think someone with good German already and focus could definitely give it a pretty good shot!

1. They are not past papers as far as I know - they are sample papers. But the layout is exactly the same so they may as well be past papers. You can also try the C1 (if samples are included) to practice.

2. The ZOP is an old exam, but I believe it just adapted the European standardisation in recent years so they had to restructure it. Past papers before the restructuring may not be so useful. I think you can only order from Goethe. When I signed up for the exam they gave me sample paper 3 for free.

3, By far the best book that follows the format of the exam with tonnes of example texts and questions and outlines the kind of grammar points they bring up, with answer sheets to guide you, is "Das Oberstufenbuch (DAF)" by A. Buscha & G. Linthout. It doesn't feel like it is following the exam format, but it really does. Going through that book with a private teacher prepared me quite well.

If you get most of the answers in that book right you will definitely pass the test. It's a couple of years old, but the text still follows this pattern.

Let's see how I do on the 12th! Hopefully people will forgive me if I don't succeed this time, I'll just have an even harder target to aim for next :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5334 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 64 of 73
03 July 2010 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
Cheers for the tips, Benny! :)

This discussion contains 73 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version