Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Finish pimsleur Spanish before doing FSI?

Tags: Pimsleur | FSI | Spanish
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
13 messages over 2 pages: 1
buhrahyun
United States
Joined 5149 days ago

24 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 13
31 March 2010 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
Johntm wrote:
That'll start a debate on this forum :P
I (and I think a lot of others on this forum) would define [fluency] as being able to speak the language without hesitation to think, being able to read quickly, being able to write decently (not sure how to define "decently" here), and having good hearing comprehension in your target language. That's my definition of basic fluency, not advanced or native.

Thanks. So would your definition of "basic fluency" be around a B2 CEF level? Even the CEF level definitions (http://www.world-english.org/cef_language.htm) are somewhat unclear to me. It seems like it could be more clear if they also defined what you can't do at each level.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ajijic10
Diglot
Mexico
Joined 6710 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 10 of 13
31 March 2010 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
buhrahyun wrote:

Now does anyone have a good definition of fluency? I don't really understand the meaning, and English is my native language.

For me, it's being able to express yourself much in the same way a native speaker would, and being able to understand native speakers without effort and translation.

Let me give you some examples: You're looking at a watch in a store window and your Mexican friend asks "¿Vas a comprarlo?" Well, you want to say "I can't afford it" but you don't know the word for "afford" in Spanish so you look it up in your trusty Larousse Dictionary and you see the the translation as "permitirse", so you say "no puedo permitírmelo". Great, except where I live I've never heard anybody say that. A much more natural way to express "can't afford" is "no me alcanza" or "it doesn't reach me".
Or you're sitting at the bar and you want to ask the bartender "Could you get me a beer please" so, knowing the word for "get" is "conseguir" you ask “¿Podrías conseguirme una cerveza, por favor?" but later on you realize everyone at the bar is saying "¿te encargo una cerveza?" which is how a native here would express the same thing.

It's things like this plus about a thousand others that, to me, separates the fluent from the proficient.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5578 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 11 of 13
01 April 2010 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
bah, Ajijic, this is just a regional thing, conseguir looks strange to me too in this context DUE TO ITS BASIC MEANING*, but in Spain they use poner not encargar (but both would be understood in both places), as for permitirse it is understood everywhere, and still used a lot in Spain, though the construction with alcanzar would be understood here too. Do you have to speak the local dialect to be fluent? Is a Spaniard not fluent in Mexico and vice versa?

For completely neutral equivalents how about: una cervexa por favor, and "no tengo suficiente dinero para comprarlo"????

* I think you need a better dictionary!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ajijic10
Diglot
Mexico
Joined 6710 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 

Message 12 of 13
01 April 2010 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:

For completely neutral equivalents how about: una cervexa por favor, and "no tengo suficiente dinero para comprarlo"????

That's why I made the distinction between the "fluent" and the "proficient". "No tengo suficiente dinero" is usually what a proficient speaker would choose. "No me alcanza" is what the fluent speaker would say. The Spaniard living here would instantly pick up on the regionalisms and it would be his or her choice to use it or not. The proficient non-native speaker doesn't have the luxury. He must learn by repeated exposure and investigation.

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5217 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 13 of 13
02 April 2010 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
buhrahyun wrote:
Johntm wrote:
That'll start a debate on this forum :P
I (and I think a lot of others on this forum) would define [fluency] as being able to speak the language without hesitation to think, being able to read quickly, being able to write decently (not sure how to define "decently" here), and having good hearing comprehension in your target language. That's my definition of basic fluency, not advanced or native.

Thanks. So would your definition of "basic fluency" be around a B2 CEF level? Even the CEF level definitions (http://www.world-english.org/cef_language.htm) are somewhat unclear to me. It seems like it could be more clear if they also defined what you can't do at each level.
I think CEFR considers C1 basic fluency, and B2 is like advanced intermediate or something.

Edit: Here is the Wikipedia page for the CEFR levels, I think it explains it pretty good.

Edited by Johntm on 02 April 2010 at 5:11am

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version