Tags: Video | English
 Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
16 messages over 2 pages: 1
Zwlth
Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 5004 days ago

154 posts - 320 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, French, Persian, Greek

Message 9 of 16
08 July 2011 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
Yes, he does come off as a salesman or televangelist, but nonetheless: if he was purely Chinese until he was 20 and he can now look and sound so natural, that is an achievement. I wonder: could he have acting skills? I mean, professional actors can put on not only a new accent but also a new persona. Perhaps people like Jerry Dai are simply able to make this their normal self?
2 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6453 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 10 of 16
08 July 2011 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
Zwlth wrote:
Yes, he does come off as a salesman or televangelist, but nonetheless: if he was purely Chinese until he was 20 and he can now look and sound so natural, that is an achievement. I wonder: could he have acting skills? I mean, professional actors can put on not only a new accent but also a new persona. Perhaps people like Jerry Dai are simply able to make this their normal self?

I agree. I think some people have natural acting skills. They can change their identity somehow and it's for them much easier to act like a native. Impersonators are the best ones. However I think we can train ourselves to do something like that.

Edited by slucido on 09 July 2011 at 8:58pm

1 person has voted this message useful

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6150 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 11 of 16
09 July 2011 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Some people are naturally gifted, discover language learning, learn a language with
perfect or near perfect accent and grammar and then assume everyone else can do it too.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6453 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 12 of 16
10 July 2011 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
zerothinking wrote:
Some people are naturally gifted, discover language learning, learn a language with
perfect or near perfect accent and grammar and then assume everyone else can do it too.

I think you are right. I see a pattern here. People naturally gifted improve faster and receive more rewards. That positive reinforcement increase their motivation and they work harder. I think it is a virtuous circle.

People who have more problems, improves slower, they see less results and they receive less reinforcement, sometimes punishment and they give up.

Vlad
Trilingual Super Polyglot
Czechoslovakia
foreverastudent.com
Joined 6362 days ago

443 posts - 576 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, Hungarian*, Mandarin, EnglishC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Serbian, French
Studies: Persian, Taiwanese, Romanian, Portuguese

Message 13 of 16
10 July 2011 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
paranday wrote:
Can someone who knows Mandarin give a summary of this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=RVMX2bdTxK0

Here's my shot at the translation:

Welcome to our “Focus” interview. In the past days, the local government has organized
an English language related event for the Chinese community called “Enhanced English
learning”. Today we have invited the man behind this English learning method, a member
of the Victoria Ministry of education - Jerry Dai. Hello Jerry.

Hello.

Now in this interview we are using Mandarin Chinese and cannot let you fully perform
your English language skills (difficult to understand, mainland expressions
everywhere), so let’s do it this way, could you use a little English to tell us more
about yourself?

Then Jerry speaks English.

So you are saying that you have not had any special English language education here in
Canada and you haven’t attended university classes.

No I haven’t.

So in such a short amount of time, in 7 years, maybe even in a time shorter than that..
have you already learned English to this level while you were still in China?

No, I have not. A lot of people ask me this question actually. When I came to Canada, I
didn’t even understand what people were saying. When I was watching television, I
didn’t understand anything, when I came, I didn’t understand anything. When I heard
English, I thought it was French.

So in a lot of respects, after you came to Canada, English for you was a big obstacle.
I would like to ask you, which methods did you use to overcome this obstacle?

Actually the approach that I had was very simple. I think that while learning another
language there are two most important things: number one, to be very diligent and
number two, to use the best methods. I was actually very lucky, because I had both of
these things. When it comes to the method itself, I think it is very simple. When I
came to Canada, I was teaching myself English in a way that was different from other
(Chinese) people. While learning the language, I used pronunciation as the means to
develop a feel for the language and this way made English the language that I speak
best now.

Yes. When people now hear you speak English, if they know nothing about your
background, they might think that you were born in Canada, so is it really that
pronunciation has turned out to be the most useful thing for you while learning
English?

Actually, when we are learning languages, pronunciation is often neglected by a lot of
people, but I feel that the most important thing while learning languages is to learn
them through pronunciation (he literally said it), because pronunciation will develop a
feel for the language in us.

How did you learn correct pronunciation?

At the time, the way I was learning pronunciation was very tiring. For instance there
were a lot of things that I had to learn by heart, repeating things more than ten
thousand times, sometimes even more.

At that time, did you have any foreign friends that were helping you out?

At the beginning, I didn’t have any, later I did.

So at the time when there were no foreign friends to help you, who or what did you
learn from?

At that time I had a textbook called Family album USA.

So have you completely learned it by heart?

No I haven’t. When I was studying from this book, there were 26 chapters altogether in
it, but I have only learned the first paragraph of the first chapter and that was it,
but the way I was studying was different from what most people do. Most people will
maybe start memorizing vocabulary by heart and are satisfied by knowing the meaning of
the new words, but what I did was that when I was memorizing these new words, I was
correcting myself very carefully (until his pronunciation was perfect).

So you say that you have had some important materials that you were learning from.

Yes.

So now, when you teach English, what are the special features of your “Enhanced English
learning method”?

The study process approximately consists of three parts. In the beginning I hold a
motivational speech for about 30 – 40 minutes. The second part is dedicated to the
correction of pronunciation. Actually, this part is very interesting, people whether
they participate or are only watching will also find it very interesting. I will stand
in front of a student and tell him: “You have to open your mouth more, you have to
relax your lips” and so on, because when it comes to pronunciation, if it is supposed
to be correct, the shape and motion of the mouth during speech is very important. And
the third part are dialogues. Some very simple conversations, some things that I
prepared myself. In these dialogues you can find a lot of topics related to the
Canadian culture.

Actually, when it comes to Chinese people, when they are learning languages they are
often shy to speak, so correcting pronunciation is probably a very important part of
your lessons.

Exactly, a lot of people might not see it this way but we develop a feel for the
language through pronunciation. After we’ve developed the student’s pronunciation, the
student will feel much closer to the language and it will make learning other things a
lot easier.

So now, your class is already full, true?

Yes.. actually I cannot say that it is full because there are 120 places (or 120 places
have already been taken..I’m not sure) and on May 5th me and other organizers will hold
an orientation meeting, but there are no more tickets for this meeting, that is true.

So what about these 120 people?

These 120 people still have to take a test and in the end they will be interviewed, but
this interview will be very relaxed, we will not be testing the student’s English
language, the most important thing will be to see the student’s attitude.

Why do you emphasize correct attitude?

Simply put, it is because people that want to study and come from Victoria
College are mostly all (I didn’t understand what he said, but probably “students that
have to pay for the classes”) and since there is an amount of money that has to be paid
for the classes, these people do know that, prepare themselves actively for the lessons
and expect us to give them pointers and quality language instruction. Now what I am
worried about is that if the lessons were free some people might not be sincerely
interested in enhancing their English language abilities.

So you hope that people will come to your lessons with a serious language learning
attitude and that this way the money provided by the government will be used
effectively.

Exactly. What I would like to say is that this event actually will have an effect on
the whole Chinese community (hard to understand, I’m probably wrong on this one).

There will be an effect in the future.

Exactly.

Thank you very much for accepting our invitation. Dear viewers because we have no more
time left, let me finish our interview, I invite you to continue watching our Chinese
language broadcasting.

Edited by Vlad on 11 July 2011 at 6:39am

8 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6453 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 14 of 16
10 July 2011 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
Vlad wrote:

How did you learn correct pronunciation?

At the time, the way I was learning pronunciation was very tiring. For instance there
were a lot of things that I had to learn by heart, repeating things more than ten
thousand times, sometimes even more.

Thank you Vlad.

I think Jerry started with an adaptation of the "chorusing" method. Maybe it is the best way to start, but it is really boring for me.

Rajiv1996
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3036 days ago

2 posts - 1 votes

Message 16 of 16
30 December 2015 at 5:13am | IP Logged 
Can anyone who knows Mandarin give a summary of this video?       https://yout u.be/mMjl2cruZ6w

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version