Groupie
United States
Joined 5494 days ago

76 posts - 85 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 1 of 4
04 April 2010 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
In Latin, why use the passive tense instead of an adjective? Like, if I wanted to say
"the dog was being loved," why can't I just say "the loved dog?" It has the same meaning?
Maybe I might want to say it one way just like how I would in English, but if I were a
beginner, where poeticness doesn't matter, why would I choose the passive?

Also, since its Easter, ill use this as an example: Christ is risen. Why is it translated
"Christus Ressurexit" (Christ arose) instead of "Christus Resurgitur"
1 person has voted this message useful

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5233 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 4
05 April 2010 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
Roman writers felt a need to be unnecessarily verbose. And for effect, I guess.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5822 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 3 of 4
05 April 2010 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
shadowzoid wrote:
In Latin, why use the passive tense instead of an adjective? Like, if I wanted to say
"the dog was being loved," why can't I just say "the loved dog?" It has the same meaning?
Maybe I might want to say it one way just like how I would in English, but if I were a
beginner, where poeticness doesn't matter, why would I choose the passive?

Also, since its Easter, ill use this as an example: Christ is risen. Why is it translated
"Christus Ressurexit" (Christ arose) instead of "Christus Resurgitur"

In the English "Christ is risen", "risen" is arguably not an adjective. "I say arguably" because the people who wrote this spoke a different form of English from us, and while we would look at it as an adjective, we wouldn't actually make up a sentence like that, so it's not really "our" language?

In some European languages, the perfect tense has two forms: one for transitive verbs (verbs which take a direct object) and one for intransitive verbs (those without a direct object). This is the famous ĂȘtre and avoir of French -- "to be" and "to have". "To be" is used for intransitive and reflexive verb use, and by extension it is used for the impersonal passive. "To have" is used in the case of transitive verbs with distinct subject and object.

Looking at older translations of the Bible and older hymns and carols, you'll see this construction lots. Two examples:
"Joy to the world, the Lord is come." (To come is intransitive.)
"Unto us a child is born." ("Born" comes from the transitive "to bear (a child)" - she will bear me a child, she bore me a child, she has born me a child - and is here being used in the impersonal passive, hence "to be")

There are also several fossils in English that are now understood as adjectival constructions, but that have their origins in the same structure:
He's dead.
I'm gone!
You're done for!

Why did this distinction die out?
Nobody can say for sure, but I'd put my money on it being a result of the fact that "he/she/it has" and "he/she/it is" both contract to the same thing: "he's".

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5410 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 4 of 4
06 April 2010 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
Like, if I wanted to say
"the dog was being loved," why can't I just say "the loved dog?"

"Canis amabatur" is a sentence, "canis amatus" is only a noun with an attribute. They are not grammatically interchangeable.

Why is it translated
"Christus Ressurexit" (Christ arose) instead of "Christus Resurgitur

"Christus resurgitur" is strange, by whom is he risen?

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version