Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5627 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 9 of 31
17 April 2010 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
The new Arabic version is just the same as the previous one with a different cover. I don't think there is anything wrong with the phrasebook like course as long as you balance it with another more grammar based course. A complaint about the more traditional type of courses was that students were able to translate quite technical or literary passages but didn't have the language to perform everyday essential tasks such as buying train tickets.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Aquila
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 5276 days ago

104 posts - 128 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German
Studies: French

Message 10 of 31
08 May 2010 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:
The new Arabic version is just the same as the previous one with a different cover.

Are they really all the same?

TY Prefect Your French (2010) has 400 pages. On Amazon I can find two versions of the previous version from 2004 (I assume it is TY Improve Your French). One has 192 pages and the other one 256. Is there somebody who knows the difference between these two (the older ones)? The covers from both books are the same.

Edited by Aquila on 09 May 2010 at 10:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5242 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 11 of 31
09 May 2010 at 4:09am | IP Logged 
I got the Complete Italian out of curiosity. I didn't have the old one, so can't speak to the similarities or differences. However, the course is definitely driven by dialogs, not grammar points. However, it feels a little better to me than other recent TY courses I have. The book is sturdier and prettier. But I also have a sense that they've gotten a step closer to producing a real multimedia course. The downside is that the book is useless without the CDs. The upside is that if you put the CDs on your iPod you can do half a lesson while waiting for the bus or whatever and get some practice with reading, listening and, if you don't mind funny looks, speaking.

I think Michel Thomas followed by Assimil is a better bet for learning Italian, but if you want to do some easy review, this isn't bad for $25 bucks. And even if it's not my first choice, I'd certainly feel better recommending to a beginner than I would, say, my TY Turkish course (I will buy the Complete Turkish if it becomes available).

Aquila
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 5276 days ago

104 posts - 128 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German
Studies: French

Message 12 of 31
09 May 2010 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
BartoG wrote:
The downside is that the book is useless without the CDs.

I was thinking to buy one of the new TY courses for French, to give it a try, but without the audio. Why do you think they are useless without the CD's?

Edited by Aquila on 10 May 2010 at 12:53pm

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5627 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 13 of 31
10 May 2010 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
Aquila wrote:
stelingo wrote:
The new Arabic version is just the same as the previous one with a different cover.

Are they really all the same?

Did I write they were all the same? I was refering specifically to the Arabic TY course. The French, German, Spanish and Italian versions have been rewritten and printed on glossy paper. They seem quite similar to each other in format. The new versions of the other languages which have come out so far are exactly the same as the old versions, apart from the cover and title in some cases.

tracker465
United States
Joined 5147 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 14 of 31
10 May 2010 at 4:57am | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:
The new Arabic version is just the same as the previous one with a different cover. I don't think there is anything wrong with the phrasebook like course as long as you balance it with another more grammar based course. A complaint about the more traditional type of courses was that students were able to translate quite technical or literary passages but didn't have the language to perform everyday essential tasks such as buying train tickets.

I agree with this notion. I own a few of the TY books, from the current (now previous) generation, and did not particularly like how there was not as much grammar to them as other courses. On the other hand, I feel that for every day situations and the basic fundamentals of a language, it is almost better to learn how to speak a few of the common phrases without getting bogged down initially with the grammar points, and this is where the TY-style books comes in handy.

newstylles
Philippines
Joined 5505 days ago

3 posts - 5 votes
Studies: Portuguese, Tagalog

Message 15 of 31
10 May 2010 at 6:43am | IP Logged 
Luigi wrote:
GREGORG4000 wrote:
http://www.mhprofessional.com/product.php?cat=8&isbn=0071663 827
The contents table...

01 My name is...
02 I'm fine
03 How do you write that?
04 Do you speak German?
05 In town
06 Work and study
07 Food and drink
08 Shopping and ordering
09 Leisure
10 The time
11 What are we doing today?
12 A ticket to Heidelberg, please
13 What did you do at the weekend?
14 We went into the countryside
15 Living in Germany
16 Which hotel are we taking?
17 Is fashion important?
18 ...And what can we give them?
19 Bless you!
20 Weather and holidays
21 Telephoning and the business world
22 Job applications and CVs
23 History and general knowledge

Looks pretty phrasebooky

I own the previous edition, and I can say that the chapters seem exactly the same.

A video review of the German Complete course : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XX-Yb2s_8k
3 persons have voted this message useful

Aras
Groupie
United States
Joined 6553 days ago

76 posts - 83 votes 
Studies: German, Ancient Greek

Message 16 of 31
10 May 2010 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
patuco wrote:
Woodpecker wrote:
I don't really understand why you would use Teach Yourself for European languages anyway. There are plenty of things that cost about the same and are unquestionably better. Teach Yourself is most useful for exotics that just don't have much study material, in my opinion. And fortunately, courses like Teach Yourself Xhosa tend not to get updated as much and so are still pretty good.

I agree.

Perhaps you should differentiate between the old TY courses and the new ones. The old are of such quality that it's hard to understand why you would be puzzled at their use as a method of self-instruction for popular languages.

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version