United States
facebook.com/deliver
Joined 5131 days ago

87 posts - 100 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Slovak

Message 1 of 11
07 April 2010 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
I was wondering what the best ways are to learn slovak. My great grandmother is from there but she has died and since her children did not learn it(she liked to be able to talk to her husband without the kids understanding) it has not been passed down. I am trying to "bridge the gap" so to speak so if anyone has any ways for a beginner to learn slovak it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. I know a few words. dobru rano, na zdravie(I'm not sure if thats right). The ones I learned on my own were D'akujem and Ako sa volate. I also know some other basics but that is about it. So if anyone could point me in a direction to begin learning that would be wonderful.

D'akujem,

Seth
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6942 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 2 of 11
07 April 2010 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
The best method depends on how you learn.

If you are comfortable about starting from scratch in the old-school (or older-school) way, then here are things that should be helpful.

"Beginning Slovak" (+ 8 tapes / CDs) (Oscar Swan)
"Slovak for You" (+ 2 tapes / CDs) (Ada Böhmerova)
"Colloquial Slovak" (+ 2 CDs) (James Naughton)
"Slovenčina ako cudzí jazyk - A" (+ 3 CDs) (Angela Zebegneyová, Anna Puzderová, Beáta Baková)

There's also an excellent set of online dictionaries in Slovak. I recommend them if you want to know the inflectional patterns.

The link for the dictionaries is: http://slovnik.juls.savba.sk/
5 persons have voted this message useful

Slovak_anglo
Diglot
Groupie
United States
facebook.com/deliver
Joined 5131 days ago

87 posts - 100 votes 

Message 3 of 11
07 April 2010 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
d´akujem.

I don´t mind learning old school at all. I do feel that learning it as a child in Slovakia would is essentially the BEST method to learn. Do you know of anything like rosetta stone... except for slovak? I intend on buying "colliquial slovak". Do you know where I can purchase the ones you listed?

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6942 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 4 of 11
07 April 2010 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
"Beginning Slovak" can be bought from Amazon or Multilingual Books although the cost varies between $100 and $220. An option is to contact the author, Prof. Swan, and ask if he can help you to get it at a lower price. His email is swan@pitt.edu. This course is excellent and of all of the Slovak courses that I've used, I got the most out of this one.

"Slovak for You" can be found on Amazon, but the cost will vary as it's usually sold on Amazon Marketplace rather than by Amazon itself.

"Slovenčina ako cudzí jazyk - A" is new and obtainable only in Europe. You can order it from an online Slovak vendor such as martinus.sk or panorama.sk.

I've never heard of a Slovak version for Rosetta Stone, but I've gathered that Rosetta Stone represents a poor return for your money because its kits are quite shoddily organized and in certain respects are glorified sets of electronic flash cards.
2 persons have voted this message useful

GREGORG4000
Diglot
United States
Joined 5309 days ago

307 posts - 479 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Amharic, French

Message 5 of 11
07 April 2010 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
Can you order "Beginning Slovak" from here?
http://polish.slavic.pitt.edu/lektorek.html

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6942 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 6 of 11
08 April 2010 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
It looks like it but I've never tried it with Swan's Lektorek.

Slovak_anglo
Diglot
Groupie
United States
facebook.com/deliver
Joined 5131 days ago

87 posts - 100 votes 

Message 7 of 11
08 April 2010 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
can i buy off of the slovak sites without much trouble considering i speak almost no slovak?

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6942 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 8 of 11
08 April 2010 at 2:51am | IP Logged 
Buying from martinus.sk may be tricky if you don't know that much Slovak. However buying from panorama.sk should be easy enough since you can browse it in English (just select the English flag on the upper left of the main page). Panorama.sk also sells other courses for beginners (e.g. "Krížom Krážom") in addition to the ones that I listed above (excluding "Beginning Slovak").

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version