360 messages over 45 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 42 ... 44 45 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6399 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 329 of 360
17 December 2014 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
Aw, I see. Well, that's what extra stars are for:) A new goal is always great, but it has to be realistic. Is reading more in English really a higher priority for you than reading in your weaker langs? :)
1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4467 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 330 of 360
17 December 2014 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:
That’s my conundrum. Any thoughts? Anyone?

So what were the original rules? Was that 100 physical books? Was it still over 20 months
(i.e. do you have a year left to run)? How many physical books have you read so far? Would
you also have to meet a film target?

Assuming you've already managed 40-50 books and have a year left, you can afford to slow
down a bit and still meet your book target.

Your writing (and so presumably your reading) is essentially native level. I don't recall
seeing anything questionable in a long time. The real question is, would it help your
English comprehension to read another 50 English books, or would your time be better spent
working on some other language? Are you climbing this mountain "because it's there" or
because you feel your mountaineering skills should be sharper?

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4968 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 331 of 360
17 December 2014 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
Emme, you see? Why not cool down your ÜberChallenge impulses and join us in our multilingual journeys for the TAC?!!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5149 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 332 of 360
18 December 2014 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
So what were the original rules? Was that 100 physical books? Was it still over 20 months (i.e. do you have a year left to run)? How many physical books have you read so far? Would you also have to meet a film target?

Basically yes, but I’m actually asking for confirmation in the Super Challenge thread. I think there were some provisions for very short or long books. I’ll get back to you with that.

dampingwire wrote:
The real question is […] Are you climbing this mountain "because it's there" or because you feel your mountaineering skills should be sharper?

I wish I knew!

One thing’s for sure, though: the original challenge has achieved a certain mythic status in my eyes, so I’m not sure how unbiased I can be about the linguistic gains I realistically can hope for. They are probably marginal at this point.

Would it be very objectionable to do the Challenge just for the heck of it (as the Americans say)?

---

@Expugnator
You know, don’t you, that at the end of the day it’s highly unlikely I won’t continue with the Scandinavian team, even if I haven’t officially decided yet? You’re probably not going to get rid of me so easily! ;-)

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4968 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 333 of 360
18 December 2014 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
The thing is you could be at Team Russian too =D

It's more about opportunity cost; you'll be spending a lot of time for reading in English, which might be almost your native language's speed by this time, especially when done extensively, and you may improve your already high skills only by 0,01% while you could be reading loads in Germna and Swedish and then Russian and French and reach a high skill in those languages. I personally wouldn't do this, but then if this goal is meaningful for you, it can be quite motivating as a high peak of all your efforts here at the forum ;)

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4811 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 334 of 360
18 December 2014 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
If I remember correctly, The original final rules considered 100 physical books to be
too hard and that might dissuade people from reading longer ones. So we had 100 "book
units", 100 pages each. that means the original challenge was 10000 pages and 100
movies over 90 minutes (or equivalent in tv series episodes and such things). There
was a conversion coeficient for comic books and a few other things, if I am not
mistaken.

Your idea is quite inspiring and it reminds me of my ASCR (Advanced Super Challenge
Residuals). I didn't finish the Advanced Super Challenge in time, I turned it into a
long term issue. THe goal is double the original challenge. It is still quite
demanding. But 100 physical books, that's much more, we could name such a pursuit
"Emme's hoard" ;-)

Well, do as you desire, but I think your English great and might perhaps profit more
from some active practice as the progress from extensive input is very slow at the
high levels, in my opinion.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5149 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 335 of 360
19 December 2014 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
@Expugnator

Last year I let my enthusiasm get the better of me and so I joined four TAC teams only to abandon two by spring (the Advanced ESL one practically never started). If I’m dragging my feet, it’s because I’m still a little reluctant to sign up for TAC’15. Probably I need to mull over my plans for 2015 a little longer. Jumping the gun and heedlessly rushing to sign-up was a mistake that I don’t intend to repeat this year.

@Cavesa

We both seem to flirt with crazy challenges, you with the Swedish one, me with the hypothetical pursuit of “Emme’s hoard”. Are we really so linguistically mad?   ;-)

EDIT: typo.

Edited by Emme on 19 December 2014 at 4:11pm

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5149 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 336 of 360
19 December 2014 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
@dampingwire

Emme wrote:

dampingwire wrote:
So what were the original rules? Was that 100 physical books? Was it still over 20 months (i.e. do you have a year left to run)? How many physical books have you read so far? Would you also have to meet a film target?

Basically yes, but I’m actually asking for confirmation in the Super Challenge thread. I think there were some provisions for very short or long books. I’ll get back to you with that.

So, Cristina confirmed on the Super Challenge thread that the original rules were:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
[…]
So the rules would be the following:
- Every film counts as long as they have at least voice or subtitles in the TL
- If it lasts less than 45 minutes (a show/series) it counts as half a film. If it lasts for more than three hours it counts as two films.
- If you want to use podcasts or audiobooks, 1 hour and a half is the equivalence of 1 film.
- Every book counts. If it is less than a 100 pages, it counts as half a book. If it is more than 500 pages it counts as two books. 100-499 = 1, 500-749 =2 books, 750-999 = 3, etc.
- You can do fiction or any other material – a documentary on whales, or a book about gardening works just as well as a novel.
- You can see the same films/read the same books again and again
[…]

Since May I've posted 40 books to the Super Challenge bot. Plus I’m currently half-way through three more (I know that’s a bad idea, but somehow I can’t stop reading books in parallel, even though I don’t enjoy it.)

5 are too short, i.e. less than 100 pages or their equivalent: The House on Mango Street, for instance, had 110 pages, but being made up of short chapters and with plenty of white space on each page, it seemed fair to only count 72 pages. With the rules above that makes 2 ½ books.

31 books were between 100-499 pages = 31 books

3 books were over 500 pages = 6 books

1 book was over 750 pages = 3 books

If I’m not mistaken that’s the equivalent of 42 ½ books by the new (original) rules and I still have twelve more months before the Challenge is over.

As for the film part, I’ve already posted 88 items. Since stand-alone films were a minority, with the bulk of what I logged being complete series, I’ve already watched more than enough for the original Advanced Super Challenge, i.e. 200 movies (either a 90 min film or two 45-min episodes each) in 20 months for those B2 or above.

This discussion contains 360 messages over 45 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version