Joined 6906 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 217 of 541
16 December 2012 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
FINNISH

I have finished Chapter 25 of "Kuulostaa hyvältä". As noted above the chapter's text is a short piece on Finnish folk songs with lyrics to "Kalliolle, kukkulalle". The chapter introduced use of participles to replace sentences containing subordinate clauses. This section was actually somewhat difficult for me to figure out but I chalk this up to being wired to using subordinate clauses rather than to try to make every uninflected noun, verbal noun or participle function as an adjective. For English I'm reluctant to do what I've been told is a "Germanic" tendency to this technique of piling on modifiers before the noun.

E.g.

Jotkut kulkeutuneet ulkomailta Suomeen sävelmät ovat nykyään tunnettuja kansanlauluja. "Certain migrated-from-abroad-to-Finland melodies are nowadays familiar folk songs"

versus

Jotkut sävelmät, jotka ovat kulkeutuneet ulkomailta Suomeen, ovat nykyään tunnettuja kansanlauluja. "Certain melodies, which have come to Finland from abroad, are nowadays familiar folk songs."

POLISH

I finished Chapter 6 of "Polish in 4 weeks - II". The main topic for grammar involved more with using verbs or phrases associated with financial services or economics (e.g. rosnąć ~ urosnąć "to grow/climb (e.g. profit, inflation rate)", przyłączać ~ przyłączyć "to integrate/merge (e.g. companies)")

UKRAINIAN

I finished Unit 13 of "Teach Yourself Ukrainian". The unit's dialogues and notes introduced the conditional, and the other two degrees of adjectives (i.e. comparative and superlative). There was nothing strikingly unusual given what I've already learned in other Slavonic languages.

OTHER LANGUAGES

I've managed to finish a short description on the imperative in Estonian for the guide to Uralic languages and have been thinking a bit about my plans for 2013 while awaiting delivery of a Turkish course for independent beginners that was published by FONO. So far it's more or less steady as she goes for me and I don't expect major changes in my study habits or lazy leadership style for my teams in 2013. However I already have a certain idea of my linguistic priorities and content in my log's "regular" entries by trying to keep it light-hearted where useful as I had done earlier this year when passing on audio/visual clips or short lists of slang or colloquialisms in my target languages.

______

2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6906 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 218 of 541
25 December 2012 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
POLISH

I finished Chapter 7 of "Polish in 4 weeks - II". The main topic for grammar involved expressions related to time measured by a clock (e.g. od pierwszej do trzeciej) and a few words for basic pieces of clothing.

UKRAINIAN

I finished Unit 14 of "Teach Yourself Ukrainian". The unit's dialogues and notes introduced conjunctions, the comparative and superlative for adverbs, and phrases and vocabulary related to medicine or health. Classes are on hold because of (Gregorian) Christmas and New Year's. It's a little odd perhaps since these are for Ukrainian but then again that's life outside Orthodox Christian territory.

OTHER LANGUAGES

I've managed to finish a short description on the imperative in Finnish for the guide to Uralic languages and have come up with a short plan for my target languages in 2013 as described in the relevant teams' logs. For Christmas I bought for myself the "dirty" phrasebooks of Czech and Hungarian and they go well with the other guides for foreign colloquialisms or vulgarities on my shelf :-) Funny and some useful stuff

E.g.

"Stop talking şħi† about my girl!"
Přestaň s těma kecama o mojí holce! (CZ)

"That meal was awful. Even a dog wouldn't eat that crap".
Az az étel szörnyű volt. Még egy kutya sem enne olyan szart. (HU)

Boldog Karácsonyt! / Wesołych Świąt! / Buorit juovllat! / Veselé Vianoce! / Hyvää joulua!

______

3 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6906 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 219 of 541
31 December 2012 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
For 2013, my log entries will include a cartoon or short comic strip in my target languages. What follows is a model format of subsequent entries. The cartoons are meant to lighten the mood and also provide some exposure to colloquial language while also making me work a bit where necessary as I consult the dictionary or guardian angels to figure out passages or panels which I don't grasp. I'm comfortable doing this extra exercise for the time being using Finnish, Hungarian, Polish, and Slovak (and Czech even though I'm not studying it). I hope that later in 2013 my Turkish and Ukrainian will be a sufficiently high level so that I can include comic strips or cartoons in these languages. Northern Saami would be nice to include here as well but I've been unable to find any comics strips or cartoons online in that language so far.

The comics will be drawn from the suggestions that I've received so far and I'm equally open to translations as I am to originals in my target languages. I also welcome more suggestions for comic strips from my target languages

FINNISH

I have finished Chapter 26 of "Kuulostaa hyvältä". The chapter's dialogue involves Anna and Jutta talking about their musical tastes with the radio set to a classical music station. The chapter introduced use of the comparative and superlative of adverbs.

(From: Viivi ja Wagner - Musiikkia netistä)

1) "I'll vacuum from the Internet a bit of music"
2) "That pig doesn't get anything about anything"
3) "...and everything always works out [for him]" - "[That's] some good rock"

imuroida (imuroin, imuroi, imuroinut) "to vacuum; download"
tajuta (tajuan, tajusi, tajunnut) "to grasp, understand"
onnistua (onnistun, onnistui, onnistunut) "to manage, succeed"

Convention for unfamiliar vocabulary in the comic strip (i.e. needed to consult a dictionary)

NOUNS & ADJECTIVES: nominative singular (genitive singular, partitive singular, partitive plural)
VERBS: 1st infinitive (1st person singular present tense, 3rd person singular past simple tense, active past participle)
ADVERBS & INTERJECTIONS: no extra information given

POLISH

I finished Chapter 8 of "Polish in 4 weeks - II". The main topics for grammar involved expressions and vocabulary related to visiting the dentist, and reified numerals from 1 to 20 (e.g. dwójka "(the number) two" as in Jeżdżę do pracy dwójką "I ride the number two (streetcar, bus, trolleybus) to work").

(From: Hagar Horrendalny - Joe Monster)

- "It's probably time that we should again consider the prohibition of the use of all personal weapons."

rozważać > rozważyć (-am, -asz > -ę, -ysz) "to consider"
broń ręczna (bronie ręczne, broni ręcznej) "personal weapon" (literally "weapon of the hand")

Convention for unfamiliar vocabulary in the comic strip (i.e. needed to consult a dictionary)

NOUNS & ADJECTIVES: nominative singular (nominative plural, genitive singular)
VERBS (where applicable using convention of imperfective > perfective): infinitive (1st person singular present tense, 2nd person singular present tense)

UKRAINIAN

I finished Unit 15 of "Teach Yourself Ukrainian". The unit's dialogues and notes introduced verbal adverbs (gerundives e.g. читаючи "while reading..."), reciprocal pronouns, and use of certain impersonal sentences among other details.

OTHER LANGUAGES

I've managed to finish a short description on the imperative in Northern Saami for the guide to Uralic languages. As some of you may guess based on my lengthy descriptions of Northern Saami verb conjugation in my log's entries from about a year ago, I've glossed over this section for Northern Saami in the guide since the considerations for number of syllables and infinitive endings determine which set of endings and applications of consonant gradation or changes to the stem's vowels/diphthongs are used just as in the present and simple past tense. It's just a lot of detail that I think is unnecessary for what's meant as a comparative survey.

E.g.

boahtit "to come" (even number of syllables, ending in -it)
boađe! "Come!" (singular 2nd person)
boahtti "Come!" (dual 2nd person)
bohtet "Come!" (plural 2nd person)

čájehit "to show" (odd number of syllables)
čájet! "Show!" (singular 2nd person)
čájeheahkki! "Show!" (dual 2nd person)
čájehehket! "Show!" (plural 2nd person)

dánset "to dance" ("contracting" verb - i.e. verb with two stems, ending in -et)
dánse! "Dance!" (singular 2nd person)
dánsejeahkki! "Dance!" (dual 2nd person)
dánsejehket! "Dance!" (plural 2nd person)

Describing this feature satisfactorily would take several pages and overwhelm anyone with only a passing interest in the language.

Boldog új évet! / Szczęśliwego Nowego Roku! / Lihkolaš ođđa jagi! / Šťastný nový rok! / Hyvää uttaa vuotta!

______

Edited by Chung on 31 December 2012 at 5:01am

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5099 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 220 of 541
31 December 2012 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
Nice idea with the comic strips, I'll look forward to reading them each time.

By the way, regarding your Ukrainian classes, how much speaking do you do in the class? What's your active level like? Could you get by for example in a social meeting with a Ukrainian? Just interested.
1 person has voted this message useful

nuriayasmin70
Diglot
Germany
languagesandbeyoRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4271 days ago

132 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: SpanishB1, Portuguese, Czech, Hungarian

Message 221 of 541
31 December 2012 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
I also like your idea of including comic strips and am looking forward to ones written in
Slovak or Czech :-)

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6906 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 222 of 541
31 December 2012 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
By the way, regarding your Ukrainian classes, how much speaking do you do in the class? What's your active level like? Could you get by for example in a social meeting with a Ukrainian? Just interested.

We do a little bit of speaking (usually at the beginning of the class). It's usually about something concrete (e.g. recent weather, plans for the weekend) and in a way is something like "controlled" small talk.

At this point I'm not very comfortable in using Ukrainian in social settings. Greetings are easy enough but when I speak I do it haltingly and have a tendency to want to express myself in Polish or Slovak instead. However if I keep working on Ukrainian, I expect to get better in this aspect.

To mě těší, že se vám líbí můj nápad s komiksy.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6906 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 223 of 541
03 January 2013 at 6:39am | IP Logged 
POLISH

I finished Chapter 9 of "Polish in 4 weeks - II". The main topics for grammar involved genitive as used in negated existence (e.g. nie ma ciasta) and an alternative for describing an object's composition (e.g. zabawki z drewna for zabawki drewniane "toys [made] of wood" for "wooden toys") and the motion verbs wchodzić > wejść (wjeżdżać > wjechać) "to go into; go upwards"

(From Historie w obrazkach #7: Fistaszki)

1) "Snoopy, you have it easy!"
2) "You don't do anything, right? You only eat and sleep!"
3) "What kind of world would it be if everyone would only eat and sleep?!"
4) "Everyone would be fat and well-rested!"

wypoczęty (wypoczęci (masc. anim. plur.) / wypoczęte (non-masc. anim. plur.), wypoczętego (masc./neut. gen. sing.) / wypoczętej (fem. gen. sing.) (cf. wypoczywać > wypocząć "to rest")

NOUNS & ADJECTIVES: nominative singular (nominative plural, genitive singular)
VERBS (where applicable using convention of imperfective > perfective): infinitive (1st person singular present tense, 2nd person singular present tense)

SLOVAK

I did my week's allotment of at least 3 pages from my course "Hovorme spolu po slovensky! B - Slovenčina ako cudzí jazyk" by working through pgs. 6-8 of the 1st textbook. I did exercises involving terms of basic kinship, nominal suffixes for masculine and feminine beings (including their names e.g. Karol - Karla, Kováč - Kováčová) and a few exercises involving dwellings.

Since only the course's exercise book has an answer key, I'm curious to see how I fared with a couple of the textbook's exercises (*ahem* pani učiteľka wyctory!)

Bortlíková et al. “Hovorme spolu po slovensky! B - Slovenčina ako cudzí jazyk. Učebnica / 1. časť”. Bratislava: 2008, p. 6 wrote:
2. Opište Markovu rodinu z matkinej strany. Ako vzor použite predchádzajúce cvičenie.

Chung wrote:
Z matkinej strany Marek má ešte babku a starého otca. Babka Anna má osemdesiať rokov a starý otec František má osemdesiaťštyri rokov. Oni bývajú v dedine blízko Košíc. Mama má mladšieho brata Pavla. Ujo Pavol je ženatý. Jeho manželka sa volá Mária. Ujo Pavol so tetou Máriou bývajú v Bratislave. Majú dve deti: Ivana a Janu. Sesternica Jana už chodí do školy a Ivan je študent na Univerzite Komenského.

Bortlíková et al. “Hovorme spolu po slovensky! B - Slovenčina ako cudzí jazyk. Učebnica / 1. časť”. Bratislava: 2008, p. 9 wrote:
4. Pripravte si telefonický rozhovor. Zaujímate sa o tretiu ponuku. Chcete vedieť, či je byt zariadený, aké sú v ňom miestnosti, či má balkón alebo lodžiu, v ktorej časti mesta je, a koľko budete platiť. Dohodnite si stretnutie s majiteľom bytu.

Chung wrote:
- Prosím
- Dobrý deň. Tu Wang Chung. Volám dobre? Prenajímate jedno-izbový byt?
- Áno, ešte je voľný.
- Kde v centre mesta je byt?
- Na Vazavovej ulici. Je asi 5 minút piešo z Obchodnej ulice.
- A je byt zariadený?
- Áno, kompletne zariadený. Väčšina nábytkov je z IKEA.
- Aha. Aké má miestnosti?
- Jednú veľkú izbu, kuchyňu, kúpeľňu, WC a komoru.
- Má aj balkón?
- Bohužiaľ, nie.
- Koľko by som platil?
- Cena je 550 eur.
- Kedy by som sa mohol prísť pozrieť?
- Zajta okolo šiestej budem doma. Adresa je Vazavova 5, byt číslo 3.
- V poriadku. Ďakujem pekne a dovidenia zajtra. Ak bude nejaký problem pred stretnutím, zavolám Vám.

(From Výstava No Comment představí nejlepší karikatury)

- I always vote for the same (ones).
- It already fails to surprise me what aşşholes they are.

dokazovať (to) > dokázať (to) (-uje, -ujú > -že, -žu) "to succeed" (colloquial) (N.B. standard: dokazovať > dokázať "to prove; achieve")

NOUNS & ADJECTIVES: nominative singular (genitive singular)
VERBS (where applicable using convention of imperfective > perfective): infinitive (3rd person singular present tense, 3rd person plural present tense)

UKRAINIAN

I finished Unit 16 of "Teach Yourself Ukrainian". The unit's dialogues and notes introduced pronouns and adverbs that are indefinite (e.g. хто ~ хтось, хто-небудь "who" ~ "someone", "anyone") or negative (e.g. ніхто "no one") and passive past participles which are often used as adjectives (e.g. написати ~ написаний "to write" ~ "written" (perfective)).

OTHER LANGUAGES

I got on a bit of a Slavonic roll since my last entry and because New Year's Day was a holiday, I devoted a good part of it to studying despite a bit of a hangover. I also moved rather quickly since the chapters in TY Ukrainian and Polish in 4 Weeks are quite short while I worked only on a few pages from the Slovak textbook. Moreover I'm at some intermediate stage in Polish and Slovak and the grammar (if not the vocabulary) that I've been seeing far is familiar. It's now time to move into those agglutinative languages and my next entry should be about Finnish, Hungarian and Turkish at the least (I probably won't get into Northern Saami until later in the month). By then I expect also to have finished at least the summary of the imperative in Meadow Mari for the guide. If all goes well, I could see myself settling into a pattern where the entries will alternate between Slavonic and "Ural-Altaic".
______

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5099 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 224 of 541
03 January 2013 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

(From Výstava No Comment představí nejlepší karikatury)

I feel a bit dumb. I understand exactly what they're saying, but I don't understand the joke. Please could you enlighten me? :(

This discussion contains 541 messages over 68 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version