20 January 2013 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
In Poland, the grades system is:
6 - celujący
5 - bardzo dobry
4 - dobry
3 - dostateczny
2 - mierny
1 - niedostateczny

Don't ask me why 2 is mierny and 3 dostateczny, when it'd be more logical the other way around.
This is the school system. At university, 6 practically isn't used, you might get a 5++ or a 5+ instead. In my parents' times, 1 was discarded at uni, so 2 was a failing grade and 3 a passing grade. Now, 1 is used at uni too, so the lowest passing grade is 2.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6906 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 258 of 541
21 January 2013 at 1:42am | IP Logged 
FINNISH

I've finished Chapter 29 of "Kuulostaa hyvältä". The chapter's dialogue involved Anna excitedly telling Anssi about her latest lecture where she was introduced to Saamic culture. She was so fired up that she showed a copy of lullaby in Inari Saami to Anssi and told him that she would have enrolled in a Saamic language course if she had known about one earlier. Ahhh, that Jutta is a girl after my own heart ;-). The dialogues introduced the passive present participle and some of its uses.

(From Oswald - Sarjakuva)

1) "Go buy some milk, Oswald. - Hmmm... I just can't."
2) "Physical work is not for me. I'm more of a thinker."
3) "OK, you can then start to think about your morning cereal without milk."
4) "Is this the way that a great thinker is treated? - Get some cheese while you're at it!"

- aamumurot (aamumurojen, aamumuroja) "breakfast cereal" (plural-only noun)
- kohdella (kohtelen, kohteli, kohdellut) "to deal with, treat"
- näinkö "is this the way, is this how"
- ruumiillinen (ruumiillisen, ruumiillista, ruumiillisia) "manual, physical"
- samalla "at the same time"

Convention for unfamiliar vocabulary in the comic strip (i.e. needed to consult a dictionary)

NOUNS & ADJECTIVES: nominative singular (genitive singular, partitive singular, partitive plural)
VERBS: 1st infinitive (1st person singular present tense, 3rd person singular past simple tense, active past participle)
ADVERBS & INTERJECTIONS: no extra information given

NORTHERN SAAMI

I've finished some of the exercises in Unit 1 of Davvin 3 which so far has reviewed topics seen in Davvin 1 and 2. I'll put in another entry about Northern Saami before the end of the month with more detail on what I've reviewed.

TURKISH

I finished Unit 3 of "Teach Yourself Beginner's Turkish". The unit's dialogues and notes introduced numbers from 100 to 9000, demonstrative pronouns, personal pronouns, interrogatives and common phrases for arranging accommodation. So far I'm not a huge fan of the course's approach since it seems much more like a phrasebook with exercises than "regular" courses in the series. However I'm hoping that things will sit better with me once I finish this course and move onto FONO's Turkish Self-Study Course.

OTHER LANGUAGES

I've started to put together a summary about adpositions in the Uralic languages which will resemble in part my comments in this post.

______

1 person has voted this message useful

languagenerd09
Triglot
United Kingdom
youtube.com/user/Lan
Joined 4850 days ago

174 posts - 267 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai

Message 259 of 541
21 January 2013 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
Glad to see that your languages are going well, I've learnt a new verb due to reading
your recent post too! kiitos!

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4309 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 260 of 541
21 January 2013 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

"Enpä taida" actually means something like "I don't think I will". This is a colloquial pattern that--as far as I can tell--doesn't have anything to do with the literal meaning of "to be be skilled at something".

Here are two more examples:

Taidan käydä tänään lenkillä. -- I think I'll go for a run today.

Osaatko sanoa, paljonko kello on? -- Do you know what time it is?
Se taitaa olla vähän yli yhdeksän. -- It's a little past nine, I think.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6347 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 261 of 541
22 January 2013 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
Eipä se taida olla välttämättä puhekielijuttu... :) Ei varsinkaan ilmauksissa kuten "taitaa olla niin, että..."
Minusta se on se -pä ja sananjärjestys joka tekee tosta esimerkistä puhekielisen.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6906 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 262 of 541
22 January 2013 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
sans-serif wrote:
Chung wrote:

"Enpä taida" actually means something like "I don't think I will". This is a colloquial pattern that--as far as I can tell--doesn't have anything to do with the literal meaning of "to be be skilled at something".

Here are two more examples:

Taidan käydä tänään lenkillä. -- I think I'll go for a run today.

Osaatko sanoa, paljonko kello on? -- Do you know what time it is?
Se taitaa olla vähän yli yhdeksän. -- It's a little past nine, I think.

Kiitos, "Jukka"!

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4309 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 263 of 541
22 January 2013 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Eipä se taida olla välttämättä puhekielijuttu... :) Ei varsinkaan ilmauksissa kuten "taitaa olla niin, että..."
Minusta se on se -pä ja sananjärjestys joka tekee tosta esimerkistä puhekielisen.

Lasken myös fraasin "Taitaa olla niin, että..." jonkinasteiseksi puhekieleksi, vaikkei se kieltämättä täysin selvä tapaus ole; vaihtoehtoisia ilmaisutapoja ei ole ylenmäärin. Virallisissa yhteyksissä käyttäisin itse potentiaalia ("Asia lienee niin, että..."), jota monet tuntuvat nykyään vierastavan.

@Chung:
The pleasure is all mine. The format of your posts makes them fun to correct.

EDIT:
By the way, Serpent, it warms my heart to see you use 'ilmaus' correctly. :-) Native speakers often confuse it with 'ilmaisu', which is one of my relatively few linguistic pet peeves.

Edited by sans-serif on 22 January 2013 at 10:24pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6906 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 264 of 541
26 January 2013 at 7:44am | IP Logged 
BCMS/SC

I've finished Chapter 2 of "Beginner's Serbian" and Chapter 3 of "Teach Yourself Serbian". Working through those chapters I reviewed the nominative, more about the present tense, reflexive verbs and using the conjunction da with verbs, and nouns for nationalities and languages. To meet my next deadline for BCMS/SC, I'll work through Chapter 2 of "Spoken World: Croatian".

I ask again that if anyone can suggest good sites with comics in BCMS/SC, please share them. Fazla, imaš li kakav prijedlog?

(From Hogar Strašni)

3) "Hägar? - Yes?"
4) "I think that it's time that we start to speak [to each other] again! - I agree!"
5) "Who started the argument? - I think that you did!"
6) "Really? I thought that it was just you! - No... You did!"
7) "You're wrong! You did! - No! Rather [it was] you!"
8) "You! - You!"
9) "I see that they're still not talking."

Convention for vocabulary in the comic strip that's unfamiliar to me (i.e. needed to consult a dictionary) (this will be put in both scripts partially to accommodate those unused to Serbian Cyrillic and also so that I get at least a little bit of practice using the keyboard layout for Serbian Cyrillic).

NOUNS & ADJECTIVES: nominative singular (genitive singular)
VERBS (where applicable using convention of imperfective > perfective): infinitive (1st person singular present tense [imperfective verb] / future tense [perfective verb], 3rd person plural present tense [imperfective verb] / future tense [perfective verb])

Cyrillic
проговарати > проговорити (проговарам, проговарају > проговорим, проговоре) "to start to talk"
свађа (свађе) "argument, quarrel"

Latin
progovarati > progovoriti (progovaram, progovaraju > progovorim, progovore) "to start to talk"
svađa (svađe) "argument, quarrel"

POLISH

I finished Chapter 12 of "Polish in 4 weeks - II". The dialogue was about Waldek reassuring his mother who is about to have an operation. The main topics for grammar were verbs referring to bringing or carrying, the third person form in imperative, and a passive counterpart to potrzebować "to need" consisting of być + potrzebny/a/e.

(From Real life via Smiech.net)

2) "What the Ғџ--?"
3) "For the love of God."
4) "Why is it exactly at the moment when I've finished something that this stupid comp always hangs up?"
6) "Why is it that every time when that dumb human uses me, he starts all of the programs at the same time?"

Convention for vocabulary in the comic strip that's unfamiliar to me (i.e. needed to consult a dictionary)

NOUNS & ADJECTIVES: nominative singular (nominative plural, genitive singular)
VERBS (where applicable using convention of imperfective > perfective): infinitive (1st person singular present tense [imperfective verb] / future tense [perfective verb], 2nd person singular present tense [imperfective verb] / future tense [perfective verb])

odpalać > odpalić (odpalam, odpalasz > odpalę, odpalisz) "to launch, start; light; fire up"

SLOVAK

I did my week's allotment of at least 3 pages from "Hovorme spolu po slovensky! B - Slovenčina ako cudzí jazyk" by working through pgs. 12-15 of the first workbook which consisted of exercises on the nominative plural and suffixes denoting masculine and feminine agents.

The comic below is in Czech rather than Slovak.

(From Garfield po czesku - Blog Adama Klimowskiego)

1) "I am bored"
2) "OW!"
3) "You kicked me! - But you're not bored anymore!"

Convention for vocabulary in the comic strip that's unfamiliar to me (i.e. needed to consult a dictionary)

NOUNS & ADJECTIVES: nominative singular (genitive singular)
VERBS (where applicable using convention of imperfective > perfective): infinitive (3rd person singular present tense [imperfective verb] / future tense [perfective verb], 3rd person plural present tense [imperfective verb] / future tense [perfective verb])

UKRAINIAN

I did my week's allotment of at least 3 pages from "Modern Ukrainian" by working through pgs. 14-17. The exercises provided practice with using personal, possessive and demonstrative pronouns, and binary questions headed by чи? This was pure review for me seeing that these were from Chapter 1. I have some homework about the genitive from my class to complete by next week.

After my last class, I went home feeling the most unsatisfied that I've ever been when it comes to my foreign languages. Whenever it was my turn to speak Ukrainian, I constantly put out a hideous mess of Polish, Slovak, BCMS/SC and Ukrainian. My teacher had a tough time understanding me while one of the other students teased me mildly for being so linguistically confused. I now have a burning urge to raise my abilities to speak Ukrainian (if only for short periods) to at least the level of that of the other students by the end of next month. They're better than I am at speaking or more accurately they speak with much more fluency than I can but I find myself readily noticing their grammatical errors as they speak since my knowledge of grammar is disproportionately high relative to my active vocabulary and spoken fluency.

OTHER LANGUAGES

Nothing to report here since my previous entry. I plan to finish Chapter 1 of Davvin 3 by Sunday.

______

This discussion contains 541 messages over 68 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version