Diglot
Joined 6906 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 505 of 541
30 March 2015 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
Because of some health problems starting a few weeks ago, I've scaled back my studies. I'm still committed to the Turkic challenge but am unsure when I can get back to my usual pace with the other languages as well as post lengthy entries. I will see how this turns out.

AZERI

I've finished shadowing the remaining audio (i.e. Units 9 to 23) in the Peace Corps' primer “Introduction to the Azerbaijani Language” as well as the remaining chapters in “Essentials of Azerbaijani” (i.e. Units 9 to 18).

I am pleased by my diversion through Azeri and enjoyed getting a better sense of how Azeri and Turkish differ. To be honest, I was just starting to get comfortable with Azeri and was even considering replacing Turkish with Azeri since I felt as if I had grasping things faster than with my Turkish materials (this applies even to topics such as the future tense which I have not yet covered in Turkish). However with the likelihood of travelling to Azerbaijan in the near future lower than doing the same to Turkey, I'm OK with setting Azeri aside with my curiosity satisfied.

I started the Turkmen section of the challenge and will stick with this language until June 30. I've already shadowed all of the audio in the Peace Corps' primer and will use DLIFLC Headstart2 as "core material".

The most striking thing aspect for me about the language so far per the Peace Corps' audio is the language sounds a bit like Azeri or Turkish with a noticeable Russian accent. I don't like much the sound of it. This is on top of the oddity of Turkmen c and з being pronounced as [θ] and [ð] respectively (i.e "th" in "theory" and "those" respectively).

KOREAN

I've continued my studies with “Korean Made Easy for Beginners” by finishing Units 2 through 4. I relish the feeling of tickling my mind with such a different language and already in Unit 5 am wrapping my head around the counters which I understand from others' comments on this forum are also used in the Sinitic languages and Japanese.

MISCELLANEOUS

I’ve been working haphazardly on Finnish and until recently was attending Polish classes. I repeat that my current condition has curtailed my studies, and I am unsure when things will get back to as they were.
______

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4457 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 506 of 541
30 March 2015 at 8:11am | IP Logged 
They are used more extensively in Mandarin than in Korean, I understand.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4333 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 507 of 541
30 March 2015 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
Sorry to hear you've been having some health problems, Chung :( Hope things get back to normal for you as soon as possible!
2 persons have voted this message useful

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5582 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 508 of 541
30 March 2015 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
Geçmiş olsun, Chung.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4916 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 509 of 541
30 March 2015 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
Hope you get better soon, Chung. I haven't started Turkmen yet and should still get hold of the missing audios. I hope I will like the way it sounds. I'm not very fond of what Spanish-speaking people call 'ceceo' either. We'll see how it goes. I have Basic Turkmen Textbook but no audio, so i'll have do to with the Youtube videos etc.

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4522 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 510 of 541
30 March 2015 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Get well, Chung!

At first I was a bit puzzled about how you could have heard a Russian accent in Turkmen, since I've heard nothing of the kind (although I haven't had much audio exposure yet). The most I got so far were some comparative similarities to Kazakh ("ol" vs "o", "f" in Arabic and Persian loanwords turning into "p"). After listening to the audio of some of those Peace Corps lessons I can sorta see where you're coming from. In fact to me it almost seems like the female speaker speaks with an actual Russian accent, with those overpronounced stressed vowels and the ä somehow being much more reminiscent of the Russian я than the Azeri ə. At first I assumed that that was just her idea of slow and careful enunciation, but then I heard her repeatedly pronounce the word "Türkmen" with the first vowel sounding very clearly like [ u ] rather than [y]. The accents of the speakers on Azatlyk Radiosy certainly sound much closer to Azerbaijani to me, the "lisping" fricatives being the biggest giveaway.

Edited by vonPeterhof on 30 March 2015 at 10:08pm

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5099 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 511 of 541
31 March 2015 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Jobbulást, Chung.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6906 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 512 of 541
02 April 2015 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for your concern, everyone. It's been tough for me to focus on my studies but I'm trying.

I've just finished the first module of Turkmen Headstart2 and I'm happy to report that it's not distorted by a Russian accent like the Peace Corps' primer. The accent makes me cringe as much as an English one (ever heard German or Polish with an English accent? *shudder*)

I'm considering starting work in parallel on Colloquial Turkmen since Headstart2's interactive exercises are a good source for audio as a total beginner but I do want to get a better handle on the grammar by doing some exercises. It's a shame that there's no audio for Colloquial Turkmen. On the other hand with my reduced ability to study, I feel that it'd be better to use whatever else I can muster on my other languages.

This discussion contains 541 messages over 68 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version