Joined 6781 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 57 of 61
05 May 2010 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
Kugel wrote:

...If the language program fulfills its mission, then it's a success. But we can't
review language programs by independently defining its mission. A language program for the self-learner, no matter how good, can't replace a teacher when it comes to practicing phonetics. But this wasn't the mission of the language program to begin with.

Yes but one should also tell the mission assigned is inappropriate.

I assume the mission of MT and Pimsleur programs can be infered from what the programs actually achieve:
- showing the learner that the language CAN be learnt, that this is achievable,
- giving a basis to build upon
- giving a competence for survival abroad or elementary communication.
- in addition, Pimsleur seems to induce decent pronunciation in many learners. I suppose not all.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5792 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 58 of 61
05 May 2010 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
Thomas actually puts a hell of a lot more work into pronunciation than a lot of people give him credit for, because people fixate on the idea of accent. Thomas has a foreign accent in pretty much any language he speaks, so he doesn't teach accent.

What he does teach is phonemics. Part of the reason Pimsleur doesn't give everyone a good accent is because it starts at the level of accent and doesn't explicitly deal with phonemics. Once you've got an accurate phonemic map, you can adjust your accent, but a seemingly good accent to start off with can stop you developing an accurate phoneme map if you allow certain sounds to "fall together" where they are similar to a single sound in your native language.

If you consider the so-called MT Russian course (not a genuine MT course in my book), the students are confused by word stress. As a coping strategy, they reduce their stress so that the teacher doesn't hear when it's wrong, and they never learn the rules of stress. With (genuine) MT Spanish, the stress is amplified to a seemingly ridiculous level, and by doing this they make it utterly impossible to hide your errors and you are forced to learn it. What you are learning at the time doesn't sound natural, but it builds the structure needed to sound natural later on in the learning process.
7 persons have voted this message useful

kmart
Australia
Joined 5905 days ago

194 posts - 400 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 59 of 61
06 May 2010 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Thomas actually puts a hell of a lot more work into pronunciation than a lot of people give him credit for,

I think Pimsleur is fantastic for teaching accent/pronunciation, but it wasn't until I listened to Michel Thomas's exaggerated pronunciations that I realised I had missed some subtle points (eg the difference between "potremo" and "potremmo"). I think his "over-stressing" is a very useful tool for beginners.
3 persons have voted this message useful

irmar
Bilingual Tetraglot
Greece
Joined 5135 days ago

5 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Italian*, Greek*, French, EnglishC2
Studies: Spanish

Message 60 of 61
08 May 2010 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
kmart wrote:
I think Pimsleur is fantastic for teaching accent/pronunciation, but it wasn't until I listened to Michel Thomas's exaggerated pronunciations that I realised I had missed some subtle points (eg the difference between "potremo" and "potremmo"). I think his "over-stressing" is a very useful tool for beginners.

I agree with this. This over-stressing wouldn't be so necessary if it was an audio + book course, where you have the book or booklet to follow (as in Assimil, my favourite). But in this case, the reading material being scarce, of course you need every precision possible to understand the subtle differences (think of the different sounds of "h" in arabic, for example!)

Of course, you can have the best of two worlds (Assimil, in my opinion comes close to perfect in that respect):
- an audio course to use in the car/gym etc, only or almost only with the native language, so as to bear extensive repetition as needed
- a book with full transcript of the dialogues for checking when you go home, reading aloud etc...
- nice asides and explanatory notes (on grammar and pronounciation) only in the book, to look at only when you need to - refresh them, not burdening the audio part and annoying you when you repeat again and again.
- the audio being with native speakers with perfect accents, and different among themselves so that you can get used to those differences
- these native speakers speaking a little bit exaggerately at the beginning, and progressing to a more natural rhythm and style as you go.

As I said, I'm also happy with Linguaphoen AllTalk, as far as all audio-goes: it lacks a good booklet, only giving a list of words, verbal tenses but then that's what it says it is (all talk). I do write down on a notebook things I want to remember, because that's my style, and because I'm not a teenager with a perfect recall anymore, but other, younger or more auditory people, may remember everything just by listening.

I do applaud the phonetics of M.T., it would be so great if he also included native speakers for the accent part - I don't think it's a secondary matter at all, as it's the hardest part to get for anyone over 12 years-old.

Edited by irmar on 08 May 2010 at 5:45pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5792 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 61 of 61
09 May 2010 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
irmar wrote:
I agree with this. This over-stressing wouldn't be so necessary if it was an audio + book course, where you have the book or booklet to follow (as in Assimil, my favourite). But in this case, the reading material being scarce, of course you need every precision possible to understand the subtle differences (think of the different sounds of "h" in arabic, for example!)

I'm not sure that it wouldn't be even more necessary with printed material. A lot of language learning problems come from native-language interference in reading -- reading is a learned, unconscious link between written form and sound, so when we read, we "hear" the sounds inside our head.  English has no phonemic gemination (although incidental gemination does occur for some consonants when a word starts with the same consonant as the previous word finishes with) so an English speaker reading a beginner's Italian book wouldn't hear any gemination when he reads "potremmo" -- they'll hear an English short M.

However you learn, you need to put conscious effort into learning anything that is genuinely new information.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 61 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version