Language Learning Forum : Language Bookstores Post Reply
aera10
Switzerland
Joined 5194 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 1 of 8
15 April 2010 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
Hello,

I am actually actively teaching myself mandarin chinese. Now I want to start reading, and I need a good Chinese-English ( or better, French-English ) dictionnary. I asked in four different bookstores and searched on Amazon, but I couldn't find a Chinese-English/English-Chinese dictionnary where the Chinese words are organised by key and not in alphabetical order of their pinyin. Does this kind of dictionnary really exist ? Could someone tell me where I can find one ?

(I'm sorry if I didn't post in the right part of the forum, but it seemed to be the most appropriate.)

1 person has voted this message useful

^veganboy^
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5700 days ago

51 posts - 51 votes 

Message 2 of 8
24 April 2010 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
Me, like you, looked for a good English/Mandarin Mandarin/English dictioanary and bumped into this jewel:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Learning-Mandarin-Dictionary -Dictionaries/dp/0007261136/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1 272076896&sr=8-2

Of the array of dictionaries I've used, this one is the BEST for me.

Edited by ^veganboy^ on 24 April 2010 at 4:44am

aera10
Switzerland
Joined 5194 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 3 of 8
01 May 2010 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
OK, thank you very much !

aru-aru
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 6238 days ago

244 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, Russian

Message 4 of 8
18 August 2010 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
Most of the Chinese dictionaries are arranged by pinyin, which does not mean you can't use the keys to find them. In fact, searching by keys is THE method used in most dictionaries.

If you still need to look up a lot of words, you'll save much time using an electronic dictionary, where you can input the character you're searching for by writing it. Get a dictionary for your iPhone or something.

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6154 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 5 of 8
18 August 2010 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
Yes, even if the dictionary is pinyin ordered a radical look-up is still possible.

Unless you're doing some remarkably advanced reading an electronic dictionary is probably the way to go. And yes, there are some superb dictionaries available for the iphone.

Robert

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6075 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 6 of 8
19 August 2010 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
The “Grand Ricci”

viedums
Hexaglot
Thailand
Joined 4447 days ago

327 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Latvian, English*, German, Mandarin, Thai, French
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 7 of 8
21 February 2012 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
The Grand Ricci is a lot of fun, and great for classical texts if you don't want to wade through the monolingual Hanyu dacidian. Funny how they would choose to make it triply obscure, with complex characters, French and Wade-Giles transliteration. The hardest part for me was using Wade-Giles. I wonder how much a personal set would cost, though!

The Far East Chinese-English Dictionary by Liang Shih-Chiu is really my favorite Chinese dictionary, and organized by radicals. Chinese Characters: a Genealogy and Dictionary is really user-friendly and a good basis for learning the characters. The online version is at zhongwen.com.

seldnar
United States
Joined 6913 days ago

189 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, French, Greek

Message 8 of 8
21 February 2012 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
I second the Far East Chinese-English Dictionary. In my first ten years of learning
Chinese I wore out two of them. It also includes many literary meanings (in addition to
the more common one definitions) that lots of other Chinese-English dictionaries don't.
It also allows you a number of choices on how to look up a word and it is arranged
entirely by radical.

Edited by seldnar on 21 February 2012 at 7:20pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version