Groupie
United States
Joined 5314 days ago

86 posts - 118 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, French

Message 1 of 15
20 April 2010 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
I'm finishing up my Beginner German II class and will be starting Intermediate German I in the fall. I've got a good grasp on most of the grammar, but some of it I don't feel completely sure on, and would like to get a few workbooks(because the computer software bores me, I prefer books) to get up to speed on it, as well as to keep my grammar skills up during the summer. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
1 person has voted this message useful

pobere
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
language-learning-lo
Joined 5176 days ago

83 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, German, English

Message 2 of 15
20 April 2010 at 9:05am | IP Logged 

I use (I tried a few, and IMO this is the best)
Dreyer, Schmitt "Lehr- und Übungsbuch der deutschen Grammatik" (Die neue Gelbe)
and
Lehr- und Übungsbuch der deutschen Grammatik, Neubearbeitung, Lösungsschlüssel

The second contains the keys for exercises (Lösungsschlüssel).

Viel Spaß.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5376 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 3 of 15
20 April 2010 at 9:11am | IP Logged 
I've got "Upgrade your German" sitting on my bookshelf. There are probably much better books on German grammar out there, but I find this little friendly book suits my purposes quite well for the beginner-intermediate stage. It covers all the basic grammar, as well as presenting some concise notes on vocab, style and usage, all in relatively clear accessible bitesize chunks. It also contains plenty of intermediate material too, should you chose to go over this. It's mainly for review, and designed to be completed in 30 days, ideally in preparation leading up to an exam or new course (one chapter a day). It even has a handy little table in the back to chart your progress throughout this study period.

Edited by Teango on 20 April 2010 at 9:12am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5667 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 15
20 April 2010 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
Silvance5 wrote:
I'm finishing up my Beginner German II class and will be starting Intermediate German I in the fall. I've got a good grasp on most of the grammar, but some of it I don't feel completely sure on, and would like to get a few workbooks(because the computer software bores me, I prefer books) to get up to speed on it, as well as to keep my grammar skills up during the summer. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I can recommend you an excellent book:

Dreyer, Schmitt, Lehr- und Übungsbuch der deutschen Grammatik, Verlag für Deutsch, 1985

You would need to order the "Lösungsschlüssel" as well.

I bought this book some years ago and I hope that is still available.

Fasulye

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5405 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 5 of 15
20 April 2010 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
Essencial German Grammar by Dover books is pretty good :).

I pick up most of my grammar through native materials. I can't really describe what all the cases are and things, but I can use them fairly well... (Minor mistakes here and there)

You can learn a lot through music and direct translation. (Like FSI)

Silvance5
Groupie
United States
Joined 5314 days ago

86 posts - 118 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, French

Message 6 of 15
20 April 2010 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
Silvance5 wrote:

I can recommend you an excellent book:

Dreyer, Schmitt, Lehr- und Übungsbuch der deutschen Grammatik, Verlag für Deutsch, 1985

You would need to order the "Lösungsschlüssel" as well.

I bought this book some years ago and I hope that is still available.

Fasulye

I just ordered these two. They aren't cheap, but if it will help me then it's worth it. Thanks for the recommendations.

chiagnology
Italy
Joined 3760 days ago

11 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: Italian*
Studies: English, German

Message 7 of 15
11 February 2014 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
Along with the grammar book by Durrel I would like to mention one book that I found while fathoming the internet, it's called a "Practical Dictionary of German Usage" by K.B.Beaton.
It's just MINDBLOWING (I've got the pdf). Excluding the Duden series, Beaton + Hammer's grammar are really made to get along with each other and to complement each other.

Edited by chiagnology on 11 February 2014 at 2:58pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6976 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 8 of 15
11 February 2014 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
I liked German Grammar Drills by Swick and Schaum's Outline of German Grammar by Elke Gschossmann when I needed extra practice to prepare for my German exams. It also helps that they're dirt cheap (especially on the used market or in older editions) but it may be safer to buy them new on Amazon Marketplace (still pretty cheap) since the used books have a higher chance of being marked up by previous owners.

If you want to do oral drills, one of the old courses from FSI or DLI Modular German should have at least some exercises to your liking.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version