316 posts - 340 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Gujarati*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 12
01 May 2010 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
Oasis88 wrote:
I feel exactly like this at the moment with Spanish. I'd estimate my
active vocab is
somewhere around 2.5-3,000 words. I feel this is a kind of stalling point because after
learning all the easily translatable words things start to get difficult. I can easily
have basic conversations and my reading and listening comprehension are pretty good on
most topics. My problem is that I can't retain or quickly associate meaning to those
"other" words that have a number of translations; words that typically can't be crammed
using flashcards, etc. Another problem is that these aren't words that are coming up so
often that you can easily learn then from repetition. This is where I feel the problem
is.

At the moment I am trying to read my first book without a dictionary. I've read harry
potter 1 and 3 refering to the dictionary pretty regularly. I've since started number 7
and after a few chapters I've found that I can follow the plot easily enough but there
are so many words that are just flying by. The thought of actively trying to learn
those words is overwhelming to say the least. After learning those "key 2.5/3k" words,
there's an infinite pool out there which is what I'm struggling with right now. I'm
hoping to see if I can work on my inference skills by reading this book without a
dictionary. I want to see if I can learn words that way, and then hope that they shift
into my active vocabulary if I just keep reading and reading.

I'm looking for help on this too. Hopefully some people can come up with some
strategies. What does everyone else think?

I have just started learning Spanish, however, I have used Harry Potter books as a
method of study for other languages too. What I do in the initial stage is read the
text and listen to the audio at the same time (without worrying about understanding),
because this way I can learn pronunciation, get used to a language being spoken at a
relatively normal speed (compared to language courses), and because I know the plot of
Harry Potter so well, I can usually pick up new words by being aware of the context. I
would eventually move on to a dictionary, but instead of making it a mission in every
session, just pick out few words in each session, and for the rest just absorb through
repetition.

I feel this works with books I know and love in English - because even if I don't
understand everything in target language, it keeps me motivated and interested.

Another suggestion is to watch the tv shows you already like in English in your target
language, and have the subtitles in your target language too. Again, I find I pick up a
lot of words this way. I won't necessarily remember all of them instantly but when they
come back again, usually memory comes back, or repetition is always good. Watch the
same show in target language again and again, and you will remember something.

I do believe that using a variety of methods is important because it keeps your brain
on its toes. If we keep following only one method, we get used to it, but changing
things and having a routine full of variety does produce interesting results.

Edited by Emerald on 01 May 2010 at 11:33am

1 person has voted this message useful

Ygangerg
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5103 days ago

100 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, French
Studies: German

Message 10 of 12
21 August 2010 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
I remember hitting the wall you're all referring to in Arabic. After my first two semesters of Arabic in college, stretched out over a school year, I took an intensive 10-hour summer course (10 credit hours, class 5 days a week and studying daily). I learned soooo much. I went from learning the alphabet to talking politics and philosophy in about two months.

That fall, in my next Arabic class, I hit the wall. I got good grades, but I wasn't learning anymore. I even felt like I knew less than before! I, like you, was looking up words as I read and then forgetting them soon after. I went to my professor for advice, and he recommended flash cards. Ding! They were exactly what I needed. I knew the grammar, I was decent in my pronunciation, I just needed to put a little spark in my vocabulary progress. Try it! I'm confident it will help. When you study, keep notecards and a marker nearby. When you feel like looking up a word, make a flashcard of it. Accumulate them and flip through them every day. Switch directions sometimes, looking at the English instead. Eventually you will own those words like your native language.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6057 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 11 of 12
23 August 2010 at 12:50pm | IP Logged 
It's a kind of plateau effect - my Turkish has pretty much stayed at the same place for years. Indeed, I have even had people telling me it has gone backwards. Actually, I try to say harder, more complex things in Turkish, probably with some loss of accuracy, which I think accounts for such statements, but it is a little morale-destroying to be told that you are actually losing ground in a language.

So, how to break through the plateau effect?

(Minor edit)

Edited by William Camden on 26 August 2010 at 10:54am

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5835 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 12 of 12
23 August 2010 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
I am also stuck learning Tagalog! You aren't the only one, although you are probably more advanced than me.

Filipinos speak perfect English (it seems), so there are no people looking to practice with me, and less impetus on my part. Serious dearth of materials makes it much worse. No major internet dictionary to mine example sentences (translated). My only resources are Filipino through Self Study and Beginning Tagalog, which appear to be the only two good thorough courses. Regardless, I still soldier on.

Rant over.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version