Portugal
Joined 5843 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 17 of 32
09 July 2013 at 4:48am | IP Logged 
MarlonX19 wrote:
In Portuguese people say ''Notebook'' for ''laptop''. I always find it interesting. If you say ''laptop'' Portuguese speakers will know what you mean but 99% of Portuguese speakers never say laptop, they always say ''notebook''. As an English speaker (not fluent though) I automatically say ''laptop'' because saying notebook sounds kind of weird for me since I know the correct way is ''laptop''.

Maybe in Brazil. In Portugal we don't use the same word. We use "portátil". For us, "notebook" is just a specific type of laptop.

Maybe you'd like to amend your "99%" estimate? ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4140 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 18 of 32
09 July 2013 at 7:33am | IP Logged 
While in Italy I wanted to buy an espresso machine, the one you put on the stove. Or so I thought it was, untill the nice lady said it's for mocha. I was confused and said that I want the espresso thing, not mocha. She said the espresso machine is the one with the two little things that you find at coffee shops and this little pot is for mocha, period! Thank heaven my mind worked in the middle of this very confusing conversation, and I said: does this make coffee? She said yes, mocha. Anyway, in Greece we call it espresso anyway, but the Italians have a more sophisticated idea about coffee than we do!

The word empathy is greek, and in English it is used as compassion. Which always confuses the hell out of me because in greek it means an intensly negative feeling of hostility towards another person.

Sympathy on the other hand, is used for condolences and things like that in English. In greek it means that you really like someone, a very positive thing that has nothing to do with funerals!

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4838 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 19 of 32
09 July 2013 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
We have recently discussed the word "gulag", which comes from the Russian abbreviation
ГУЛАГ and is used by English speakers in the meaning of "a prison camp".

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 20 of 32
09 July 2013 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
In Dutch it is used in that latter sense as well, and it can take a plural.

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5381 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 21 of 32
09 July 2013 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
I automatically say ''laptop'' because saying notebook sounds kind of weird for me since I know the correct way is ''laptop''

I always thought, a laptop is the same as a notebook (if you do not mean the paper notebook). At least in German (were I say "Klapprechner"), but in English too.

Edited by Cabaire on 09 July 2013 at 2:18pm

1 person has voted this message useful

caam_imt
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 4644 days ago

232 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, Finnish
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 22 of 32
09 July 2013 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
Here are some off the top of my head:

In Spanish we have the word "saga", which is used when talking about Scandinavian
mythology and/or very long tales. I think the word saga in Swedish at least means just
any kind of tale or story (not necessarily grandiose or epic).

In Mexico there's a very popular chocolate drink called "Choco Milk". It's so popular
that (at least in my hometown) it has become synonymous with any kind of chocolate
drink. Some people even say "quiero un chocomil".

Also in Mexico, when young men want to see scantily clad women dancing provocatively,
usually this phrase is uttered: "vamos al teibol" (from table dance).

"Breadbutter" is also used in Finnish (voileipä) to describe any sandwich.

Also in Finnish, "bailata" means to go partying whereas in Spanish "bailar" means to
dance (which would be "tanssia" in Finnish).

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4341 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 23 of 32
09 July 2013 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
caam_imt wrote:
"Breadbutter" is also used in Finnish (voileipä) to describe any sandwich.

I'd half-expect there to be butter on a voileipä, but maybe that's just me. I'm not entirely sure what I'd call a sandwich with no butter, though. Just leipä? Kerrosleipä? Täytetty leipä? No wonder some people just use voileipä for everything.

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4392 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 24 of 32
09 July 2013 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
In Ecuador the English word "man" is sometimes used instead of "person"--either male or female. I've heard people say "Esa man..." to say "That woman..."

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version