cantonese.hk
Joined 6743 days ago

144 posts - 185 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Cantonese
Studies: French

Message 1 of 38
22 April 2010 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
Is Croatian any harder than Russian or English?

I'm wondering if people actually found Croatian hard to learn or is it as easy to learn as Cantonese?

Edited by WANNABEAFREAK on 22 April 2010 at 5:08pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Smart
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5255 days ago

352 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Latin, French
Studies: German

Message 2 of 38
22 April 2010 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
From what I have heard, the lower Slavonic languages are easier than Russian.

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5397 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 3 of 38
22 April 2010 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
I actually found that Croatian was a bit easier than Russian. In my opinion, it is also easier than Serbian or Bosnian
(even though they are exactly the same). The only differences I found between Croatian and BSM, was the pitch
accent. I don't really think Croatian has a pitch accent like the others.

But yes, due to its rarity, its association with Yugoslavia, and the most awesome country of Croatia, it is hardcore.

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5319 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 4 of 38
23 April 2010 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
Croatia has the same accent system Serbian and Bosnian. They just use it a bit differently.

Also, Croatian is written only in Latin (and a bit of Glagolitic in the coast, mostly for decoration) unlike Russian, so it might be easier for a Westerner to learn.

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5397 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 

Message 5 of 38
23 April 2010 at 7:07am | IP Logged 
Russian is considered hardcore because everyone knows about it, and people who try to learn it fail at it. Croatian's
reputation isn't described as "hard", simply because not enough people learn it. I think that Croatian can definitely
be considered harder than Russian, although Russian's reputation will give a more "hardcore" look to your linguistic
escapades, mainly due to the fact that it's more well known.
2 persons have voted this message useful

bushwick
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 6160 days ago

407 posts - 443 votes 
Speaks: German, Croatian*, English, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 6 of 38
23 April 2010 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
croatian has the same a difficult grammatical case system, but I think for a non-Slavic language speaker the sounds of Croatian might be more easily reproduced.

although, I'm not too familiar with Russian, and less so with Cantonese :D

ruskivyetr wrote:
it is also easier than Serbian or Bosnian
(even though they are exactly the same)

no they are pretty much completely the same. some Croatian dialects are more different than Serbian (I'd say most of them). it's not any easier basically, and when you learn Croatian you'd be understanding Bosnian for sure, and with Serbian you would have to learn some minor vocabulary differences (which in the area everyone is familiar with, as Croatian still uses a lot of Serbian words although they might not be official)

goood luck

PS: for motivation's sake; I met a Korean girl this summer who I managed to learn Croatian in about 2 or 3 months living here. now it wasn't perfect Croatian, far from it, but she could very well communicate, if not complicated topics, but have at least a basic conversation with several people around her. it was so nice to see, and I'm sure yur efforts of Croatian will pay of in Croatia (and anywhere else in the area).

(note though, I think she spent the time on some really intensive course, but still!)

Edited by bushwick on 23 April 2010 at 9:21am

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5397 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 

Message 7 of 38
23 April 2010 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
bushwick wrote:

ruskivyetr wrote:
it is also easier than Serbian or Bosnian
(even though they are exactly the same)

no they are pretty much completely the same. some Croatian dialects are more different than Serbian (I'd say
most of them). it's not any easier basically, and when you learn Croatian you'd be understanding Bosnian for
sure, and with Serbian you would have to learn some minor vocabulary differences (which in the area everyone is
familiar with, as Croatian still uses a lot of Serbian words although they might not be official)

I'm sorry that I didn't clarify my meanings when I said that.
Croatian to ME seemed easier because the obstacle of the Cyrillic alphabet wasn't in the way (also the Serbian
Cyrillic alphabet is different than the Russian variation, and I did not know the Cyrillic alphabet at all before I had
studied Croatian). Most of the resources for Serbian (that I could find) were in the Cyrillic alphabet, so I just stuck
with Croatian resources. Bosnian, although it can be written in either or, I couldn't find any resources for it.
Croatian resources were in the Latin alphabet and were easy to find.
Yes, they are exactly the same. Unlike the Scandi languages, or the differences between Scots and Standard
English, they have no differences whatsoever, except for the occasional word. Even in America we have different
words for different regions, even though the accent may be the same. So it just goes to show how lucky the
Croatians, Bosniacs, and the Serbs are to have such similar languages, even though their countries may have their
political disputes.

bushwick
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 6160 days ago

407 posts - 443 votes 
Speaks: German, Croatian*, English, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 8 of 38
24 April 2010 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
well, not EXACTLY the same, that's why I said pretty much.
it's like different standardized dialects.

here, found an example on wikipedia (could have made one myself, but let's be sure)

"I want to know whether I'll start working"
Želim da znam da li ću da počnem da radim. (Serbian)
Želim znati hoću li početi raditi. (Croatian)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version