Triglot
Portugal
Joined 5164 days ago

102 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German

Message 1 of 7
30 April 2010 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
I'm opening this topic to document my German learning process thus far and ask for your input. If anyone feels like he/she may have something to contribute, please do.
Hopefully others also studying German may share their own experiences and get some new ideas from this as well.

I've been studying German for over one year and a half now and the plan would be to reach B2 level within 2/2.5 years and sit the corresponding exam. After that, I intend of course to maintain and further develop my German skills.

Deutsche Welle Interactive Course has been my 'main' course. In the overall, I quite enjoy this course and intend to complete it (I'm currently mid-A.2.2. level and it goes all the way to the B.1.2 level). It constantly builds up on previously acquired knowledge and covers reading, listening and speaking. Writing not so much, that's why I actually write down some of the dialogues from the course, in addition to also occasionally chatting with a German friend on AIM.

Deutsche Welle Deutsch Interaktiv

Besides my job, which makes it difficult for me to be home before 9 p.m. on weeknights, I'm also attending a post-graduate course, reason why I've been doing the course at a rate of one 'Teil' per week.

Since I find some of its grammar explanations lacking, I complement the Interactive Course with a grammar book (Langenscheidt Grammatik - kurz und schmerzlos) and also the online Exeter German Course by Paul Joyce, which provides more in-depth explanations.

Paul Joyce Beginners' German

I also find the DW Deutsch - warum nicht? series very nifty, but since I don't like to mix too many things and I don't have the time either, I've decided to take each of its series after I finish each level of the Interactive Course. Therefore, I've done series 1 once I completed the entire A1 level and I plan to do series 2 this Summer after I finish the entire A2 level. Then, I plan on doing series 3 after B.1.1 level of the Interactive Course and series 4 after B.1.2 level.

Deutsch - warum nicht?

As of next September or October I also intend to get Langenscheidt's Basic German Vocabulary and start learning 10 words from it a day.

By the end of Summer 2011, I plan on having both DW Interactive Course and Deutsch - warum nicht? wrapped up and then move onto DW wieso nicht?, which consists of a B1 20- lesson course based on daily situations.

Wieso nicht?

After that, I'd like to take like one month going through the entire online German course by Paul Joyce and then reading the Langenscheidt grammar from beginning to end.

This would be the point where I'm not sure what to do next.
There's a B2 course named Marktplatz available at DW's website and I also know of FSI Basic German and Deutsch Fokus.

Since Deutsch Fokus seems to be more a beginners' video course, I guess I may take it first for consolidation, then do FSI Basic German for further listening and speaking practice and end this odyssey with Markplatz, since it seems like a very specific (business/economic) course.

Feedback would be much appreciated.

Edited by Frieza on 01 May 2010 at 5:19pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5658 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 7
30 April 2010 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Frieza, if you want to get some advice, comments, questions, recommendations, exchange with other students in this forum about the study of German, I would suggest you to give this thread a learning log name (by editing the first post you can change the title) and therefore I transfer this new thread to the Learning log subforum.

Please have a look at some other logs there to get some inspiration and ideas how a log should be developed.

Good luck!!!

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 30 April 2010 at 8:42pm

Frieza
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 5164 days ago

102 posts - 137 votes 

Message 3 of 7
06 May 2010 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
I've completed Lektion 17 of Deutsch Interaktiv. The lesson itself felt easy and there was actually more revision of previous grammar points than new ones being introduced.
Together with this lesson there were however two texts, which I felt were extremely difficult to understand and too advanced for the level we are supposed to be at. I still read them and studied the vocabulary given therein though.

Now I'm putting DW on hold for a couple of months, since it is too time-consuming and I'll really need to focus on the exams of my post-graduate course. I'll make sure to keep a regular contact with German though.

Frieza
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 5164 days ago

102 posts - 137 votes 

Message 4 of 7
20 July 2010 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
I have resumed the Deutsch Interaktiv course. Lesson 18 is being a bit difficult vocabulary-wise, lots of really long words.
I'm also going through the first series of Deutsch - warum nicht? again.

Frieza
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 5164 days ago

102 posts - 137 votes 

Message 5 of 7
29 November 2010 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
Finally got around to resume Deutsch Interaktiv.

Lektion 19 felt somewhat easy actually.
And I've finally been introduced to the 4th and last case: Genitiv.

Frieza
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 5164 days ago

102 posts - 137 votes 

Message 6 of 7
20 December 2010 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
Completed Lektion 20 of Deutsch Interaktiv. Again it felt rather easy.
Level A.2.2 shall be completed once I take the final test, but I won't be able to start level B1 in the next few weeks.

I'm starting German with ease and Langenscheidt Grundwortschatz Deutsch this week though.

Frieza
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 5164 days ago

102 posts - 137 votes 

Message 7 of 7
27 December 2010 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
I've scored 98% in the final test of Deutsch Interaktiv A.2.2 level. I don't trust this assessment much though, since these final tests essentially consist of some of the exercises in the units.

I've discovered these online tests, which don't directly test grammar but assess comprehension / production in several real-life situations in levels A1-B1:

Cornelsen/Telc Tests

I scored 97% in its A2 test.

I'm currently working with Langenscheidt Grundwortschatz Deutsch and its accompanying workbook and so far I like them a lot

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version