Sweden
bsntranslation.
Joined 5220 days ago

100 posts - 145 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, Italian
Studies: Spanish, French, Russian

Message 9 of 58
02 May 2010 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
There are no such methods. What do you mean by "learning" it? Being able to cope with all kinds of situations - including the dentist, discuss gardening issues with neighbours or even experts, understand legal texts or information from a court, read all sorts of novels etc? Just think of this: how many words can you learn in one day and how many words do you think it will require to achieve basic fluency?
1 person has voted this message useful

Akalabeth
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5306 days ago

83 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 10 of 58
02 May 2010 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
If it's just immersion + classes then I'd have to see it to believe it. Immersion can only take you so far so fast. I mean, say you've been studying your language to an intermediate level already, and decide to go to some country for two weeks and avoid all English while you're there. It would help a ton, but I'd be skeptical if many people claimed to be fully fluent after that experience. Starting from scratch doesn't make me less skeptical.

This guy immerses himself in different languages all the time, and he gives himself three months, with varying degrees of success. Not saying it's impossible, and not saying it wouldn't help, but I don't see it being as effective as they claim for the average person.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5343 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 11 of 58
02 May 2010 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
A Dutch friend of mine insists that there are some Dutch nuns who have developed a method where they can teach you a new language from scratch in two weeks...but a language like say, Russian, is that even humanly possible?

I guess they "Work Hard, Pray Hard"! ;)

Edited by Teango on 02 May 2010 at 7:50pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5456 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 12 of 58
02 May 2010 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
I am sure it is very true, but in the same sense that Michel Thomas could teach you a language in 12 hours. With a great teacher and enthusiastic students you can learn a great deal in a very short time. Remember, though, that language learning has "a long tail". That is, you make great - and very exciting - progress at the beginning (going from "zero to hero") - but the real hard slog is int the long march through intermediate and beyond and that doesn't take magic "secrets" but rather serious commitment and a lot of effort.
9 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5798 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 13 of 58
02 May 2010 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
Michael Ventris, who discovered that the Linear B script was early Greek, apparently got himself to basic fluency in Swedish within a couple of weeks, before moving there to do architectural work after WWII. Certainly he was seen by two other British architects talking fluently in the language to a Swedish official at the customs desk as they entered the country.

Yes, but given that he was a polyglot who (according to Wikipedia) "could speak six European languages and read Latin and classical Greek", he's hardly typical.

According to this site, he could speak "French, German, Swiss German and Polish" (and presumably English!) by the time he was 10. "As an adult he picked up Russian, Swedish, Danish, Italian, Spanish, Some Turkish and Modern Greek". Without knowing whether he learnt Swedish or Danish first, it's hard to say how impressive a feat his Swedish was.

Also, due to the records of his obsessive study of the Linear B script even as a child, it has been speculated that he had Asperger's syndrome, which puts him in the same "super-learner" bracket as people like Daniel Tammett.

If you want to prove that anyone can be taught a new language in two weeks (as this school does), he isn't evidence of that
2 persons have voted this message useful

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5372 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 14 of 58
02 May 2010 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
chucknorrisman wrote:
datsunking1 wrote:
Iolanthe wrote:
They basically force you to speak Dutch for two weeks, only speak Dutch to you and give you language classes. I think it's a lot more useful for someone who has an understanding of the language but doesn't yet speak fluently since it forces you to develop that very skill. It also costs around 2000 euros so most people who do it are sent by their company and lose nothing out of their own pocket if the method doesn't work for them. I think a stay with the nuns would have been a waste of money for me as a beginner but now I'd love to be forced to speak Dutch for 2 weeks. Of course I can probably find a cheaper way to do this by volunteering or getting a job where I have to speak a lot.

That's exactly what they do.

If you think about it, if you're studying that language for 10 hours a day, only seeing it, speaking it, hearing it, etc, that is a lot of hours!

140 hours in two weeks. That's an amazing amount of study.

If I had the opportunity to do something like that I definitely would.

By the way, My Ukrainian friend speaks native English (He's been here for 5-6 years) and he said if you're around the language, like in the country or around the people, it's VERY EASY TO LEARN. Don't be intimidated by Russian. :) He said everyone says "It's way too hard!" He said it's really not. If you let it work for you, it will be easy :) (He speaks Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, and English :D)

He said if I would go to the Ukraine I would learn it in a few months :)

I do think that investing that much time on languages can get you to a basic level of fluency very rapidly. I think for related or similar languages it is possible in weeks, and for distantly related or unrelated languages, few months. I would like to try one day, hopefully I can do so if I ever get a study-abroad opportunity somewhere.

By the way, I also have a Ukrainian friend speaks the same combination of languages - Ukrainian, Russian, Polish, and English. I doubt he's the same guy that you know, but I just think it's an interesting coincidence.

His name wouldn't be Yulian Lutsiv would it? :D

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5217 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 15 of 58
02 May 2010 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
Learn a language in two weeks? 10 hours a day, one-on-one instruction, living in the language, all expenses paid plus my regular salary. Sounds like a great way to learn a language. Wow, if only I could get my boss to agree! Man, I would learn a helluva lot of Mandarin in that time. Now, the only problem I see, and something that we grapple with endlessly in this forum, is what do we mean by speaking a language. I'm not even going to attempt to define such a complicated thing. So, since I really want to convince my boss, I'm going to say yes, I believe one can learn a language in two weeks. For whatever that's worth.

Now, I also believe that Michel Thomas's Advanced Spanish course will turn me into a fluent advanced Spanish speaker in three months, and I can get it on Ebay for $40. Who says learning languages is complicated?

vb
Octoglot
Afghanistan
Joined 6209 days ago

112 posts - 135 votes 
Speaks: English, Romanian, French, Polish, Dutch, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Swedish

Message 16 of 58
02 May 2010 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
This kind of thing is the subject of endless speculation, and will continue to be so, until full and frank accounts are made available (ie. studies are written up by academics, with plenty of evidence).

What is required is:

- a test subject, reputed to be a very quick language learner, and accredited researcher, independent of the subject
- trustworthy and thorough account of the subject's language abilities prior to undergoing the course
- a language-learning course based on analysis of those methods preferred by expert learners (people who have claimed to have learnt languages in double-quick time)
- an exhaustive account of the subject's interaction with the language course and work out-of-hours (precise timings, transcripts etc.)
- thorough psychological testing, brain scans before the experiment (is the subject highly unusual in any respect)
- thorough testing, brain scans after the experiment (does language learning bring about plastic changes in the brain)
- exhaustive testing of the subject's language skills throughout the course

'The Exceptional brain: neuropsychology of talent and special abilities - Loraine K. Obler, Deborah Fein' takes a very close look at the make-up of a reputedly very strong language learner, but does not get the subject to flex his language learning muscles.

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version