Groupie
Australia
Joined 4977 days ago

81 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin

Message 57 of 58
04 September 2010 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
Wow, thanks all for your replies. Very helpful!

I just researched this Atamagaii person and found lots on L-R reading, and it seems quite effective. I just tried it
for a short paragraph for Italian using someone else's method, and when i listened to the audio without the text
infront of me after, I was quickly translating it into the English, which appeared to feel almost memorised. But I
still couldn't understand everything..
I'm going to try doing this for Assimil, and see if i can complete the course very quickly like some people have
managed to complete books in a few days with the method after doing MT courses!

After researching all this stuff it looks like 2-week language learning is definitely possible! And if that is possible,
perhaps learning Italian to a high level after a couple of months is also possible.
But surely these methods won't help for speaking and writing?
Or do they?
So you can learn parts of language i guess?
1 person has voted this message useful

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5745 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 58 of 58
04 September 2010 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
Speaking definitely involves some different mental processes than listening and understanding, but is greatly helped by an in-depth passive understanding.

Lots and lots of listening will help you develop a better accent when you decide to start speaking, and it will also help you to have a lot of good phrases just "bubble up" into your mind when you need them. (but good pronunciation definitely takes lots of practice in addition to lots of listening)

When I arrived in Germany this year, I had a very low speaking ability, but really high (~C1) passive vocabulary. So, when I wanted to say things, I was generally able to figure out most of the words I wanted (although sometimes slowly), and I was able to think of the way they could be properly used in a sentence, but the sentence would come out very slowly. Also, words that I'd seen less often were much harder to actively use quickly.

After some practice with actually saying some sentences, my speaking ability rapidly increased. You will always have to practice speaking as a distinct skill from understanding and listening, but it's definitely helpful to understand first. If you have an urgent need to speak sooner, then definitely start practicing speaking soon, but it might be better to practice on phrases that you get from native speakers rather than trying to construct your own before you have a good grasp of he language.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version