Groupie
Austria
Joined 4872 days ago

92 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian
Studies: Portuguese

Message 17 of 20
12 February 2011 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
My wife (Austrian) and I speak German and although her English is excellent it feels uncomfortable for us to speak English when alone. I have a French friend and we have always spoken German even though his work language is English. I have an American associate and I like to speak English with him. He usually begins in German but I like to practice my English a little so I try to switch to English. We have friends in Australia with whom we also speak German exclusively.
1 person has voted this message useful

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5267 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 18 of 20
13 February 2011 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
Long ago, in a galaxy far away, when I actually had an English accent in English, I went to the US and I hung out a lot with European exchange students, one of whom was English, so I tended to mimick her accent even more than I natuarally do, and my (now) husband, at the time, thought I was British (we weren't going out yet, otherwise it would be weird). Then he saw me talking to a French student and he comes to me and says: You seem to speak French really well! I was extremely flattered, but still, it was strange. Now we speak English and sometimes a sort of cute Pidgin-Franglish we invented, but never actual French. I do have bilingual friends, though, with whomI speak French when alone but English when he's here. That makes for parties with a lot of code-switching, but it feels pretty natural as we're all really equally fluent in both. Sometimes he even leaves for a while, and we just forget to switch back.

Edited by joanthemaid on 13 February 2011 at 2:02am

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4831 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 19 of 20
14 February 2011 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
I didn't think this would pertain to me until I read Tally's post.

Tally wrote:
Oh yeah definitely. I always speak to my dad only in English, and If suddenly I start
speaking Hebrew, it's so strange!

I am not used to speaking Spanish with my dad. He knows I know Spanish, but he won't speak it with me. I had to learn my Spanish in high school and at the university, but not from him.

When I visit his house, we will be sitting at the kitchen table together with his Mexican wife, and he'll be the one doing the language switching. She'll be speaking Spanish. He'll be speaking both, and to him I'll be speaking English. I just can't talk Spanish to my dad. He's not open to it at all.

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5055 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 20 of 20
18 February 2011 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Yes! This happened to me with an Israeli person I know. I heard her speaking English in a
video on Youtube and it was really weird. It was the first time I had ever heard her
speak English at the time, and even though now I've spoken it with her in real life, I
still can't watch it. It's really uncomfortable to watch for some reason because 99% of
the time I only hear her speak Hebrew.

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version