Ireland
Joined 5203 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 8
09 May 2010 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
Hóla and Guten Tag,
this summer I plan on taking up the beautiful language of Spanish. I will aim for a vocabulary of about three-
thousand words (God willing, this will be achievable). But, having been put off grammar from learning Irish
grammar (which I dislike even more than German grammar) and German itself (since 2003), I'd like to know from
people who have studied both languages where they compare and contrast. I know quite a few people here who
study both languages, and need your perspective.

- Brian

1 person has voted this message useful

guapocondinero
Germany
Joined 5091 days ago

7 posts - 9 votes

Message 2 of 8
09 May 2010 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
I have studied Spanish with assimil with English instructions. Occasionally, I translated the sentences into German. I noticed more similarities between German and Spanish than between English and Spanish. The most striking aspect would be the concept of reflexive verbs.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tracker465
United States
Joined 5111 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 3 of 8
09 May 2010 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
I personally find German grammar to be easier, despite what many people will tell you. Below I will list the good, the bad, and the ugly.

SPANISH:
The Good:
-In Spanish, one doesn't have to deal with noun cases. "El libro" stays "el libro" and does not change depending on the location in the sentence. Definitely a nice switch from Latin! In German, one has to decline the article, and this can be tricky.

-In Spanish, the gender is much easier to determine. Plurals are also more uniform.

-Not related to grammar, but in Spanish, the more abstract words will be easier to memorize and learn than in German, for an English speaker, since we grab most of our abstract words from French. This is nice, since I personally find it easier to memorize smaller words, such as "cat" than higher-concept words.

The bad:

-I really do not care what anyone else claims (such as my university Spanish professor), the amount of Spanish tenses is very annoying and can be difficult for a non-native to learn. One has to determine which tense to use, and then also determine the correct way to conjugate for each tense. Very Latin-esque.

-Irregular verbs. Every language has them, and they remain annoying no matter which language they appear.

-Ser vs Estar - Another nice complexity for the English speaker.

GERMAN:

The Good:

-Less tenses. The German tenses are much easier to learn than those in Spanish.

-Irregular verbs. German irregular verbs are really not so irregular, since they correspond nicely to those same verbs in Dutch and English. Really really nice.

The Bad:

-Plurals are more difficult to determine, though after awhile, one begins to notice patterns and plurals become easier to guess.

-Declining nouns and adjectives. This can be very annoying, and in this way, German is harder than Spanish. One should remember, however, that the German declensions are nothing compared to what one would have to do for many other languages.

Personally I find German to be easier than Spanish, depsite what many of my friends and professors claim. The tense situation just over complicates Spanish.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Smart
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5098 days ago

352 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Latin, French
Studies: German

Message 4 of 8
10 May 2010 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
Being fluent in Spanish and studying German, I can say that Spanish will be very easy for you. Grammar is much simpler, and the language itself is soft/easy on the eyes :)

canada38
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5254 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 5 of 8
10 May 2010 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
Smart wrote:
Being fluent in Spanish and studying German, I can say that Spanish will
be very easy for you. Grammar is much simpler, and the language itself is soft/easy on
the eyes :)

I hope I can see that when I take German class this September. Of course it is subject to
personal opinion, but I do not see any beauty in the written German language like I do
for Romance languages. I hope I prove myself to be incorrect!!

tracker465
United States
Joined 5111 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 6 of 8
10 May 2010 at 2:42am | IP Logged 
Smart wrote:
Being fluent in Spanish and studying German, I can say that Spanish will be very easy for you. Grammar is much simpler, and the language itself is soft/easy on the eyes :)

No offense, but this is the crap I hear all the time at the university, and it is always the perception among my peers, but there does not seem to be any claims to back it up. ;) I would be curious as to why you find Spanish easier than German, grammar wise, because maybe I am just missing something.

Disregarding the difficulty of learning vocabulary, I honestly believe that the German tenses are much easier to learn than the Spanish...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_verbs#Tenses

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_verbs

I just cannot fathom how people believe that Spanish really is easier to learn than German, from a grammatical perspective. Both languages have tricky prepositional uses, so the only thing that might cause trouble would be the cases and grammatical gender, but as there are only four cases in German, it seems that this would not even be a big deal, if one has an understanding of the underlying grammar.

Oh, and for what it's worth, someone else's opinion:

Quote:
There is a common myth among English speakers, at least in the United States, that Spanish is much easier to learn than French. In high school, more than 95% percent of my fellow students chose Spanish in order to meet the foreign language requirement. Since I was completely enamored of French, I couldn't understand why, so I asked them. Some said that Spanish is more useful in the US (an interesting discussion for another day), but most claimed that Spanish is much easier and thus they wouldn't have to work as hard. The same rumor abounded when I was in college, and I still hear it today. When asked for more information, perpetrators of this urban legend invariably mention how difficult French pronunciation and spelling are, in comparison to Spanish. And in this, at least, there is some truth.

http://french.about.com/cs/teachingresources/a/spanishiseasi er.htm

Edit: I realize the article above is Spanish vs French in terms of simplicity, but I guess my point is that it talks about the myth of Spanish being so easy, something that I just cannot believe, having studied both German and Spanish. The idea of not being cases and having many cognates with English make Spanish easy, yes, but when one starts messing with the tenses, conjugations, it gets very messy, very quickly.

Edited by tracker465 on 10 May 2010 at 2:45am

2 persons have voted this message useful

mspen1018
Triglot
United States
Joined 5090 days ago

36 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English, German, Sign Language
Studies: Persian, Spanish

Message 7 of 8
24 May 2010 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
my issues with German as an assimilation taught bilingual who studied grammar recently because I never
realized that the dialekt my family spoke was different from Hochdeutsch and assumed conversational fluency
was good enough...

was the massive amount personal pronouns and the situations that they could change at the drop of a hat, the
anal retentive rules that I always just "got it" with grandma because it made up for the lack of emotional
expression but when explained in English, it is hard to grasp.

the fact that in German there are words that mean many different things and in some cases switching between
different definitions do not matter but in others are specific to certain situations that are long and do not need to
be related in any way.

the cultural norms of Germans being very low context makes it make sense to me on that level. My Spanish
teacher is a German immigrant to Argentina and he would answer me in German in class and everyone else
thought he was mean and yelling at me but I knew he wasn't and he helps me get Spanish better that way.

I think the lack of emotional expression culturally is why Mozart, Beethoven and Bach to name a few are bred
from that ideal and is just foreign to people, so it seems negative but Germans are the nicest people in the world
and of the rotten things that each nation has a history of doing to people, Germany is front line to make an
example to not let that happen again.

the Spanish culture is more emotional and it seems simpler than English which is my dominant Muttersprache
and American Sign Language to those of us who learned from repeated contact with a deaf person and not
classes usually make the odd faces and noises that may seem odd to people but is part of that communication.

get into Adjective endings and relative pronouns in specific situations in German grammar and you will go nuts
and I can speak fluent conversational "native sounding" German and that is insane.

Word order is messy sometimes too in German.

I am new at Spanish but so far it seems easy

manuelram16
Diglot
United States
Joined 5839 days ago

20 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English, Spanish*
Studies: French, German

Message 8 of 8
02 June 2010 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
Spanish being my native language, being fluent in English and learning German I can honestly tell you that Spanish is helpful to learn Italian & French but I don't see any similarities between Spanish, English or German that would make learning one them easier.
It took me 3 months to achieve a "tourist" level of French, and so far it has taken me 3 years to achieve the same in German.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version