Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Good, cheap Bulgarian-English dictionary?

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
ThisIsGina
Groupie
United Kingdom
languageblogbygina.w
Joined 5113 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Romanian, Catalan, Greek, German, French

Message 1 of 5
09 May 2010 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
I will be learning Bulgarian soon, and I have just looked on Amazon for a Bulgarian-English dictionary. Acquiring a dictionary has never been a challenge for me before, but I'm having trouble finding a decent one that I can afford. Some of them are selling for £20-£50!

I looked at one that was about £10 (still on the expensive side considering I remember buying my Spanish dictionary for only a few pounds), but reviewers had said it didn't have enough vocabulary to be useful.

Can anyone help me find a good dictionary online for under £10?
1 person has voted this message useful

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5829 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 2 of 5
09 May 2010 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
I know you mean a paper dictionary, but the best deal around is a piece of software called SA Dictionary. It's free and quite good (and famous, most people know about it / use it).

http://www.thediction.com/

There are also Français-Български and Deutsch-Български dictionaries by the same authors but last time I checked they were "experimental".
I can't any make any recommendation about paper dictionaries. Perhaps other forum members can help there.

For me SA was a great aid for learning English, and I can testify there are no blatant errors ;).

Edited by Sennin on 09 May 2010 at 11:31pm

tracker465
United States
Joined 5147 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 3 of 5
10 May 2010 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
I wish I knew the answer to this question myself. Many of the dictionaries I have seen do not get good reviews, and seeing that it is Bulgarian, there are not as many resources to begin with.

For my studies in Bulgarian, I have two dictionaries for the time being. I have the following dictionary [Bulgarian Dictionary ] although mine is Bulgarian -> English as opposed to English -> Bulgarian. For translations in the other direction, I use a German -> Bulgarian dictionary. Both of these I found at a used bookstore in the States, though it is not the best set up imo, especially because the dictionaries are overkill if I want to take them somewhere.

Anyone have good recommendations?

ThisIsGina
Groupie
United Kingdom
languageblogbygina.w
Joined 5113 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Romanian, Catalan, Greek, German, French

Message 4 of 5
12 May 2010 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your replies so far. Do you think I might be able to find one in an airport? I will be learning the language for two months before I go to Bulgaria, so it wouldn't help me learning at the beginning, but I could use the online dictionary Sennin suggested, and get a paper one for when I'm in Bulgaria.

I know airports sell phrasebooks and guidebooks, but what about dictionaries?

tracker465
United States
Joined 5147 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 5 of 5
14 May 2010 at 8:53am | IP Logged 
ThisIsGina wrote:
Thanks for your replies so far. Do you think I might be able to find one in an airport? I will be learning the language for two months before I go to Bulgaria, so it wouldn't help me learning at the beginning, but I could use the online dictionary Sennin suggested, and get a paper one for when I'm in Bulgaria.

I know airports sell phrasebooks and guidebooks, but what about dictionaries?

If not in the airport, I would suggest grabbing one when you were in Bulgaria. As a beginning learner, a dictionary really isn't necessary as the basic grammars and books should contain lists of the common vocabulary. I find that sometimes for more obscure languages, it is almost easier to find a better dictionary in that country, as opposed to finding an American/British/language x dictionary in America or Britain.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version