English: CPE Certificate of ProficiencyC2

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
Cheshire_Cat
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5114 days ago

17 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: German*, English, Russian
Studies: Dari, Spanish, Arabic (Written), Norwegian, Mandarin, Mongolian, Estonian

Message 1 of 5
11 May 2010 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
I'm planning to do the CPE Certificate of Proficiency in English (Niveau C2) this year in November.

Now my problem is that I'm not sure how I should prepare for that without attending a (very expensive) course.
Thus I'm looking for some good self-study material that really prepares me for the exam. Does anyone know some books or programmes that could help me? Or maybe someone knows other helpful methods (like, for example, reading certain books that require around C2 to understand them...)...?

I'd be very grateful for any help!

Edited by Cheshire_Cat on 11 May 2010 at 4:51pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Frieza
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 5148 days ago

102 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German

Message 2 of 5
11 May 2010 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
Hi, there!

I took the exam about two years ago.

At the time I attended a 30-hour course at the local British Council. It was a bit expensive (over € 300 as far as I remember) but I really enjoyed it. With the enrolment we also got a workbook essentially consisting of four complete exams with detailed solutions and explanations. We were suggested to use the book on our own and so I did.

I also bought two advanced learner's dictionaries (Oxford and Longman) and read some of their explanation boxes, besides having done some of the exercises on the cd (the Longman one has specific exercises for the CPE).

Firstly, I'd suggest you to take a look at the CPE's website and see how you manage with the sample papers:

CPE Page

Edited by Frieza on 13 May 2010 at 1:04pm

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5464 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, DutchC1, ItalianC1
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 3 of 5
11 May 2010 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
Hi,
I took the exam about a year and a half ago and I would definitely also recommend you have a look at the CPE website that was already mentioned and do the sample papers as the actual exam will be very similar and they give you a good idea on what to expect.

The writing part contains a question on set texts. Each year, there are 2 or 3 different books as set texts (you can find out which ones on the CPE website). You don't necessarily have to read them, as you have various topics to choose from, but I think that it is a definite advantage to read all of the texts and have them fresh in your mind for the exam as it will give you a much broader choice as to which question to answer. I found the other topics to be totally uninspiring and I was glad I had read the books and could answer a question on a book I had actually greatly enjoyed. I got my best mark in this part of the exam and it earned me a grade A!

I also found the following book to be helpful: Common mistakes at proficiency and how to avoid them

Good luck!

Edited by Iwwersetzerin on 13 May 2010 at 1:53pm

Frieza
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 5148 days ago

102 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German

Message 4 of 5
13 May 2010 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
The workbook I mentioned was this one by the way:

New Proficiency Testbuilder

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5829 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 5 of 5
13 May 2010 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
Try this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cambridge-Certificate-Proficiency-En glish-Students/dp/0521672759/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid= 1273784559&sr=8-1

Worked for me ^_^.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version