Triglot
United States
Joined 5324 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 7
12 May 2010 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
I'm looking for material past beginner level. I am quite comfortable having basic conversations in French and Spanish and can handle reading news and other text in both languages, but listening to native conversations and media without a transcript is just beyond my grasp.

I've been searching, seemingly in futility, for resources which specifically focus on this transitional period of learning, but have not found many.

I would also be interested in finding such resources for Russian and Bulgarian as well.

Edited by JFman00 on 12 May 2010 at 4:52am

1 person has voted this message useful

Ulmo
Diglot
Joined 5881 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English

Message 2 of 7
12 May 2010 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
Have you tried Lingq? I had signed up to it looong ago, but only recently I got to discover the amount of French content. They have got there a plethora of content! Might be helpful.

jae
Triglot
United States
Joined 5459 days ago

206 posts - 239 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, French

Message 4 of 7
15 May 2010 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
Watching the news with subtitles may also help. Since you can already understand the content (seeing as how you can read the news), subtitles would help you link that to understanding what you hear.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5225 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 5 of 7
19 May 2010 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
I am using the Spanish version of a sort of language calendar that one hangs from a wall. I really like it because I can see the examples every day. It's definitely not a beginner level product. There's a French version available with free recordings on the web at www.langcal.com

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6916 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 6 of 7
22 May 2010 at 5:35am | IP Logged 
French, Spanish, Russian - I heartily recommend Random House's 'Ultimate' advanced courses.

Bulgarian...hmm...

How about searching for materials broduced by Bulgarian universities - the kind of stuff they use to teach foreign learners?

Edited by Chris on 22 May 2010 at 5:45am

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6234 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 7 of 7
22 May 2010 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
1) Use recorded audio with transcripts: audiobooks, spoken news with transcripts, or even movies with subtitles *for deaf native speakers*.

2) Search this forum for links to slow Spanish news, etc.

3) Consider listening to a bunch of music and native material in the background. This is supplementary, and some people consider it counterproductive, but I find it helpful. This is by far the least important of these points.

4) Consider buying a copy of Assimil.

5) Search this forum for 'French in Action' and 'Destinos'.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version