Diglot
United States
Joined 6227 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 1 of 8
13 May 2010 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
Does anyone know if there's a place online that sells Russian books with accents? I have a dual language book of Russian stories that is accented, but that's not really what I'm wanting here; I'm interested in Russian-only books, but with stress accents. History is my preferred subject, but I'm interested in any source at all.

Additionally, if such things exist, is there a particular way one searches for them? I'm usually fairly good at making Google find what I want, but I've had zero success with this.

(And yes, I realize I'm asking for something that isn't overly common, as native printed Russian never has accents.)
1 person has voted this message useful

ember
Triglot
Groupie
CyprusRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5184 days ago

63 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, German
Studies: Spanish, French, Greek, Polish

Message 2 of 8
13 May 2010 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
Quite honestly, I don't think you'll be able to find any authentic books with printed accents. AFAIK, the only books that have accents are textbooks for studying Russian and other learning materials.
2 persons have voted this message useful

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6227 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 3 of 8
13 May 2010 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the information, ember. I was afraid that would be the case.

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6154 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 4 of 8
17 May 2010 at 6:43am | IP Logged 
there are many many books published with accents. Some are classics published by western publishers for learners. Some are (or were) published in the Soviet Union to help learners. Clearly they will always be for learners. But it's possible to find even books on history etc. meant for foreigners.

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6154 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 5 of 8
17 May 2010 at 6:43am | IP Logged 
they often pop up on ebay

ryanmatthew
Bhutan
Joined 5913 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Kannada*

Message 6 of 8
13 June 2010 at 4:07am | IP Logged 
The books published by "Bradda" are excellent (I just read The Death of Ivan Ilyich), have accent marks and
vocabularies at the end. They are fairly easy to find-- I highly recommend. Hope that helps.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 8
13 June 2010 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
The one and only Russian history book I own (which I found in a specialized Slavic section of a bookstore in my own town two or three years ago) is written by С.Н. Сыров and its full title is "Цтранитсы историй - книга для чтения на русском языке" (1987). The editor is/was "Русский Язык" in Moscow. I have no idea whether it still can be found anywhere.

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6227 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 

Message 8 of 8
15 June 2010 at 3:40am | IP Logged 
Ryan: Thanks for the heads up on the Bradda publisher. While I've not delved very deep into the search yet, I've found a few books published by them with accents.

Iversen: Thanks for the full title and author. While I've not purchased it yet, I was able to track it down on a Russian web shop. The book is a mere $8, but shipping to me is nearly $25. I suppose that's understandable, though, as it appears the place ships out of Moscow.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version