Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5864 days ago

248 posts - 326 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese

Message 1 of 9
13 May 2010 at 3:32am | IP Logged 
Hello!

According to the Assimil method (as opposed to customized approaches with the program):

In New French with Ease, after finishing the final lesson (113) and translating the last passive wave lesson as indicated (64), do I stop translating the remaining lessons? In other words, am I 'done' with the book?

In Using French, I cannot find any reference whatsoever in regards to the active wave. Is there even an active wave in this course? If so, when does it begin, and where are the instructions?

Thank You!
1 person has voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6898 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 2 of 9
13 May 2010 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
vikramkr wrote:
In New French with Ease, after finishing the final lesson (113) and translating the last passive wave lesson as indicated (64), do I stop translating the remaining lessons? In other words, am I 'done' with the book?

No, you should continue with the Active Wave until the end.

Quote:
In Using French, I cannot find any reference whatsoever in regards to the active wave. Is there even an active wave in this course? If so, when does it begin, and where are the instructions?

I'm of "the customised method" school of thought so I didn't do this and it's been a while since I looked at this book (and I'm at work so I can't check) but....

...divide the number of lessons by two and once you've reached the half-way point on the Passive Wave start the Active Wave with lesson 1.

Andy.

Edit: ...and I should have said, do the Active Wave for Using French the same way you've been doing it for French with Ease.

Edit2: Having giving this some thought, I think that I should amend the above slightly to better match the norm. Divide by the number of lessons by two and pick the nearest revision lesson before that point and begin the Active Wave at the lesson after that. That way, you will hit revision lessons at the same time on both your continuing Passive Wave and new Active Wave.

Edited by Andy E on 13 May 2010 at 10:36am

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5360 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 3 of 9
13 May 2010 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
I treated lesson 1 of Using French as lesson 115 of the passive wave of New French With Ease - so when I finished the active phase of NFWE I started the active phase of UF.

vikramkr
Diglot
Joined 5864 days ago

248 posts - 326 votes 

Message 4 of 9
13 May 2010 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
Andy: Thank you very much for your clarifications. I just have one more question: Did Assimil intend for there to be an active wave in Using French, or is it just something that some people do?

Elexi: Interesting; I may do just that.

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6241 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 5 of 9
13 May 2010 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
vikramkr, as far as I know, Assimil courses are all supposed to be used the same way (according to Assimil, anyway): passive then active wave. If there isn't any note in the book regarding when to start the active wave, you can assume that you'll do it halfway through the book.

Edited by josht on 13 May 2010 at 7:03pm

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6898 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 

Message 6 of 9
13 May 2010 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
vikramkr wrote:
Did Assimil intend for there to be an active wave in Using French, or is it just something that some people do?

Ordinarily as josht said above, the Assimil method appears to be the same regardless of course. However, I've checked my copy of Using French and I note the following at the start of the book:

Rule Two is to do something each day. Even if you do not have time to complete a whole lesson, take the book and re-read something you have already seen. Listen to a recording. Try and translate back into French from the English text. Do a set of exercises...

This appears to advocate the Active Wave starting straightaway. This was certainly my approach with both French and Spanish - but I'd assumed it was part of my "customisation" of the Assmil method. I haven't as yet done the advanced Italian and German courses, but I would have probably continued with the Passive/Active Wave distinction for those anyway.

I recommend you try all three approaches - to include Elexi's excellent idea as well - and see what works best for you. I also recommend that if you do use both a Passive and Active wave that you still try and sync the revision lessons together.

Hope that helps.

Andy.

Edited by Andy E on 13 May 2010 at 8:55pm

vikramkr
Diglot
Joined 5864 days ago

248 posts - 326 votes 

Message 7 of 9
13 May 2010 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
Josh and Andy: Thank you for your helpful advice and clarifications!

Andy: So do you complete a lesson and immediately after translate it from the base language? This would therefore eliminate the need for a separate 'active wave', correct? How has this method been working out for you?

Edited by vikramkr on 13 May 2010 at 7:57pm

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6898 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 

Message 8 of 9
13 May 2010 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
vikramkr wrote:
So do you complete a lesson and immediately after translate it from the base language? This would therefore eliminate the need for a separate 'active wave', correct?

Yes. That's the approach I took and it certainly does omit the need for the Active Wave....

Quote:
How has this method been working out for you?

... and for me it worked very well. However, as I stated above, I would (and will when I get round to it) still consider a Passive + Active Wave for Advanced Italian and German.

For French and Spanish, things were a little different. For French I was also using the French In Action videos as a major resource - Assimil was a backup in this instance. For Spanish, I was through the majority of the Platiquemos course before starting Using Spanish. Also I was using Francés Perfeccionamiento which is Using French for Spanish speakers and Perfectionnement Espagnol which is Using Spanish for French speakers as a way of reinforcing both languages simultaneously.

I was already at a pretty high passive level for both and was working solely on Oral Production - the active side of things by then. But it was certainly a shortcut from my point of view.

Andy.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version