Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6067 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 9 of 14
20 May 2010 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
!LH@N wrote:
William, all the words you wrote here, with the exception of konsoloshane and sefarethane, are used in Turkish and are considered integral for a "higher"/educated use of the language.
Estagfurullah and Allahismarladik are used regularly in colloquial speech, too.

Regards,
Ilhan

Perhaps they are used. However, in most cases I have never heard them used in spoken language. Zevc/zevce I know, but I happen to be studying Arabic, and these words are very common in Arabic for "husband" and "wife". I have never heard them used in spoken Turkish, however, and I don't think I have ever seen them on the printed page, even in Turkish-language books published decades ago.
It may be that many of these words are in use in "higher" Turkish. However, this is supposed to be a "basic" course.
Allahismarladik was in the Hugo Turkish in Three Months textbook I first used to learn the language. The trouble is, none of the Turkish speakers I have encountered actually use it.
Turkish changed more than most languages in the 20th century, of course, mainly because of the language reform started in 1928.
1 person has voted this message useful

!LH@N
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6616 days ago

487 posts - 531 votes 
Speaks: German, Turkish*, English
Studies: Serbo-Croatian, Spanish

Message 10 of 14
20 May 2010 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
I don't know about your Turkish friends, but I can tell you that Allahismarladik is regularly used in Turkish, especially in basic Turkish.
I wouldn't worry about FSI using ancient vocabulary, because anyway if one is intelligent and wants to sound like that, too, he/she can learn those words from the beginning.

Regards,
Ilhan

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6067 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 11 of 14
21 May 2010 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
I asked a Turkish friend about Allahismarladik. In her view, it is a term favoured by religious people. Few of the ones I know are particularly religious, so that may explain why I never hear it used, whereas I hear gorusuruz all the time.
As to ancient vocabulary, someone using jocund in English would definitely be considered odd, if they did not know the far more common word cheerful.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Beth121
United States
Joined 5102 days ago

5 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 12 of 14
22 May 2010 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for all of the advice -- I just have a couple more questions. Which edition of Ty Turkish do you recommend, as I have found sites selling previous editions, dating back to 1992. Also, is Elementary Turkish a good book to use? I especially ask because almost all the editions I've seen start at $35, and I want to make sure that it's worth the money before I buy.

Thank you again for all the advice!

dolly
United States
Joined 5585 days ago

191 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin

Message 13 of 14
22 May 2010 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Beth121 wrote:
Thank you for all of the advice -- I just have a couple more questions. Which edition of Ty Turkish do you recommend, as I have found sites selling previous editions, dating back to 1992. Also, is Elementary Turkish a good book to use? I especially ask because almost all the editions I've seen start at $35, and I want to make sure that it's worth the money before I buy.

Thank you again for all the advice!

I haven't started Öztopçu's Elementary Turkish (2nd revised edition) yet, but I've listened to some of the audio and in some places the sound quality isn't really good. But this is definitely the text I'll use when I'm done with the Pimsleur lessons. It seems comprehensive, contemporary and quite user-friendly to me.

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5370 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Latvian

Message 14 of 14
23 May 2010 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
Oh I forgot there is also an FSI/DLI Headstart course.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version