Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
marklewis1234
United States
Joined 5109 days ago

32 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 2
15 May 2010 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone have any opinions on the Teach Yourself Spanish Complete Course? And any suggestions for a good course to be used alongside it?
1 person has voted this message useful

rlf1810
Triglot
United States
Joined 6135 days ago

122 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Slovak

Message 2 of 2
15 May 2010 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

I don't have experience with this particular course but I am familiar with Teach Yourself and in general their courses are decent. They are known to take a sort of phrasebook approach to learning and can sometimes be poorly laid out. Also, I do believe that Teach Yourself Spanish focuses on Castillan Spanish and not Latin American, so that's something to keep in mind. A good companion course would probably be Assimil Spanish with Ease or maybe an older Living Language Spanish book, but best of all would be FSI Spanish as it will dig into what TY only scrapes the surface of.

-Robert

Edited by rlf1810 on 16 May 2010 at 3:22am

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version