Tetraglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5799 days ago

128 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Mandarin, French
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 1 of 4
15 May 2010 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
I've been studying Swedish for awhile and I think it's time I get a nice dictionary instead of just using online ones, but I don't really even know where to start looking other than here. So, any suggestions for a particular Swedish-English dictionary?
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6705 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 4
16 May 2010 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
Norstedts has pretty decent dictionaries - they come in Engelska/Svenska, Svenska/Engelska and even an Engelska/Svenska - Svenska/Engelska. The last one is probably the best one.

Eng/Sv doesn't mentions genders, but Sv/Eng does, and as you probably want to be able to look up words you don't know yet - you're better off with a dictionary in both "directions".

Example (just from memory):
Eng/Sv
table - bord

Sv/Eng
bord(et) - table (as you can see "bordET" indicates that it's neuter, (ett bord, bordet, detta bord, det där bordet et.c.)

So, you'll have to look up the word twice, first from English, then from Swedish.

Either this, or you have to find a dictionary aimed at people with Swedish as a second language (which I don't know about). After all, most Eng/Sv dictionaries are aimed for Swedes (who already know the genders).

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5352 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 3 of 4
16 May 2010 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
I've got Norstedts Engelska Fickordbok on my bookshelf too. Although it's mainly for Swedish learners of English, it's a handsome little stripy blue pocket dictionary with 32,000 words and phrases, and does the job whilst not putting any real dent in your wallet either.

Edited by Teango on 16 May 2010 at 3:59am

kottoler.ello
Tetraglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5799 days ago

128 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Mandarin, French
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 4 of 4
20 May 2010 at 2:39am | IP Logged 
Thanks you two, it looks like that's the one I'll be taking to Uppsala with me this summer!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version