Euphorion
Hexaglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5122 days ago

106 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Czech, EnglishC2, GermanC1, SpanishC2, French

Message 1 of 62
18 May 2010 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
I appologize for my impertinence, but I just wanted to find out how many of you share my opinion that Pimsleur is one of the most useless things Ive ever seen. I really dont believe anyone can learn even a beginners level of a language from that. To me it is only a loss of time and I doubt it can teach you any vocabulary (speak nothing of grammar). All you can lear from Pimsleurs is a couple of phrases just like the parrot Ive seen the other day :) But Im not sure if you would understand anything beyond.

I only used it a couple of times to check the pronounciation and the melody of a language. But thats all and thats too little.

Please share your opinions and thoughts, Im really curious. Thank you
1 person has voted this message useful

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6928 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 2 of 62
18 May 2010 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
No, I don't like Pimsleur courses very much but I do find them useful. I get frustrated that it takes so long to learn so little. But, it can be a good introduction to some languages. I have used Pimsleur in a few cases to get me started on a language that was completely foreign to me, that is, a language totally unlike any other language I knew.

In each case I have bought the introductory 8 lesson program or a larger program second hand. I wouldn't consider paying full price for a complete Pimsleur course. The 8 lesson course gives me the start I need and I can learn while I am driving.

My favourite courses are entirely in the language I am learning.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Aquila
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 5263 days ago

104 posts - 128 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German
Studies: French

Message 3 of 62
18 May 2010 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
Pimsleur is not bad for comprehension and pronunciation in the beginning of learning a new language. And you learn also some easy grammatical structures and usefull vocabulary.

Although it's really not worth the money. The course is way too expensive in comparison with what you actually get, so try to get Pimsleur from an alternative source.

You don't learn much more with the 2nd and the 3th course, when I speak about the French courses. Furthermore, listening one unit every day is very dull.
I find Michel Thomas and Assimil much more valuable.

Edited by Aquila on 18 May 2010 at 5:08pm

Euphorion
Hexaglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5122 days ago

106 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Czech, EnglishC2, GermanC1, SpanishC2, French

Message 4 of 62
18 May 2010 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
fanatic wrote:
I get frustrated that it takes so long to learn so little.

That is exactly what I meant. But I must agree with you that it can help you a little with completely exotic languages, but just in the beginning.

Thank you for your comments.

GREGORG4000
Diglot
United States
Joined 5305 days ago

307 posts - 479 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Amharic, French

Message 5 of 62
18 May 2010 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
It's designed for confident American men who want to take foreign women to restaurants and drink beer and water
34 persons have voted this message useful

AlexL
Diglot
United States
Joined 6866 days ago

197 posts - 277 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 6 of 62
18 May 2010 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
I disagree. It is absolutely untrue that you can't learn vocabulary or grammar from Pimsleur. It's a little slow-
going, but still much faster than the average high school language class. I not only learned a lot, but also got a ton
of production practice, which helped my pronunciation, automaticity, and comfort speaking.
14 persons have voted this message useful

robsolete
Diglot
United States
Joined 5167 days ago

191 posts - 428 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 7 of 62
18 May 2010 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
GREGORG4000 wrote:
It's designed for confident American men who want to take foreign women to restaurants and drink beer and water

Ahahahaha, so true. Somewhere between Lesson 3 and Lesson 8 there's always the "how to invite **** ladies out for dinner" lesson.

I basically just use Pimsleurs from the library for "language shopping." If I'm vaguely interested in a language but don't want to spend any money or concentration on it, it's a good way to get a general feel for how the language sounds. I could also see it being useful if you drive a lot--just a way to reclaim otherwise lost time. But I don't drive, and I get bored quickly.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5793 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 8 of 62
18 May 2010 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
I've only ever done the short courses, so I don't know how it progresses over time, but my frustration with Pimsleur isn't about speed but breadth of coverage.

It does seem to cover a reasonable amount of grammar, but it feels like each point is covered in a very narrow fashion. What I mean is that you cover the forms but only in a very particular context, so although it teaches "how" to use, it doesn't really teach "when" to use.

My other problem with Pimsleur is that you are talked to by a native speaker using sounds you've never heard before, and in languages very different from those you already know, two different sounds can sometimes sound identical. The Pimsleur teacher doesn't say that these different sounds exist, so my ear happily just assumes they're the same thing.

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version