Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
littlebigman
Belgium
Joined 5099 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 1 of 4
18 May 2010 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
Hello

I was wondering if there good softwares for Windows that record the user's voice and
displays it on the screen, and then shows the same sentence as said by a native
speaker, so that students can improve their pronunciation?

Also, I read a long time ago about the work done by Tomatis regarding learning a
foreign language, namely that we should concentrate on trying to understand/repeat
frequencies that don't exist in one's mother tongue. I have no idea if his work is
scientifically sound. Does someone know more about this?
www.tomatis.lu/language-coaching/?page=method&language=en

Thank you.
1 person has voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5355 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 2 of 4
19 May 2010 at 1:41pm | IP Logged 
I once spent quite a while looking for info on tomatis. There is very little information of any sort, appart from the publicity mumbo-jumbo, which comes across as quackery. I assume this to mean they are Charlatans. And expensive.

Their theory about the different frequency ranges does have a whiff of plausibility, but in reality, it's difficult to identify any strange foreign phonemes, irrespective of their frequency range. And I assume you could achieve the same effect with audacity by playing with the graphic equaliser.

"Tell me more" has a fairly reasonable go at comparing pronounciation with the original, but I don't think it's really tells you anyting more than recording your own voice and playng it back.

edit:

oh, audacity does do frequency spectrum analysis, you could compare your recording with the original, although I don't really think it would really be a practical help.

Edited by schoenewaelder on 19 May 2010 at 1:46pm

littlebigman
Belgium
Joined 5099 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 3 of 4
24 May 2010 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the tip. I guess speech analysis isn't very useful to learning a foreign
language, then.

grunts67
Diglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5097 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 4 of 4
24 May 2010 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
There's a speechs analysis that come with Rosseta Stone. However, I would not recommand it for differents reasons.

First, it only work on words in the program. So it really basic.

Second, you really need to compare your speech and intonation graph to the one of the native. If you just use the simple system, is really not that great. It only check a portion of the syllable.

Third, Rosseta Stone is really expensive to only use that feature.

The best way I can think of is till have a tutor or a friends helping you with your pronociation. There's is some free site that help you find people who are learning new languages and you can talk with them on the internet (for exemple Skype).

As far as I am concern, I would keep my money for books and methods instead of software. Don't forget, people had learn language before the apparaition of computers, you should be able to do the same thing.

Hope it help.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version