Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5101 days ago

18 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 1 of 4
18 May 2010 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
Has anyone used the Linguaphone AllTalk series as a complete beginner in a foreign language?    What are they like generally, and what level do you reach at the end of the 16 hours?     

This time is roughly comparable to the time it takes to complete Michel Thomas' Foundation and Advanced courses, so I'd be interested in a comparison between the two methods (ie. which is more effective in terms of vocabulary, grammar, and which is more fun to use) :)
1 person has voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6174 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 4
19 May 2010 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
I've listened to the Italian version a while ago. I would describe it as a short audiobook that tells the story of an English woman who needs to travel to Italy for businss. (I think there may also be some drills, but I can't remember.) She learns Italian as the story unfolds. The problem is that there is tons of English spoken and relatively little Italian. So it's ok for some light, easy listening, but you won't learn much from it.

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5464 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 3 of 4
19 May 2010 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
I listened to the 16 hour French AllTalk last summer.

It was the story of a salesman who travelled to France and was slowly taught the basics of French by a woman with whom he flirted a lot.

It was quite enjoyable, and certainly very easy to listen to while doing other things. However, the actual French content is minimal. Probably less than the first few lessons of the MT Foundation French course.

I would say you should stick with MT.

Edited by Splog on 19 May 2010 at 9:05am

2 persons have voted this message useful

kmart
Australia
Joined 5919 days ago

194 posts - 400 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 4 of 4
23 May 2010 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
I've used Italian AllTalk and enjoyed it, as the conversations gradually became more complex, and you get a re-iteration of grammar points (previously learnt) and some practice, but can't see it being very good value for a complete beginner - it's not usefully-ordered - I mean you are learning very non-essential phrases like "per niente" = "not at all" in the first lesson, and "fidanzata" in the second lesson. That's fine for a post-beginner, who is wanting a more complete vocabulary and idiomatic expressions, but less useful for a beginner who may be wanting to cram as many useful phrases as possible before the big trip next month.
Pimsleur is so much better, as it gives detailed repetitive practice so that the basic words and phrases come automatically, and the vocabulary and phrases are taught in order of usefulness - the first thing you learn is how to ask a native speaker if they speak your native language - surely the most useful phrase to know in any language!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version