United States
Joined 5349 days ago

31 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Dutch, Portuguese, Afrikaans
Studies: French, German, Italian, Russian, Norwegian, Japanese, Scottish Gaelic

Message 1 of 6
19 May 2010 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Hello!
My name is Nick and I shall be studying several languages this summer. I already can speak native English and Spanish and pretty good Dutch, Afrikaans, and Portuguese. I self-studied these last three. I'm currently studying German and French at school and I just began to study Russian on my own.

I'm starting this log in the hope that it will help me to become more organized and thorough my currently haphazard studies, record my progress, gather advice and tips from other, more experienced language learners, and because of the constant urging (nagging) of my friend Ellasevia.

Wish me luck!

Nick

Edited by Ncruz on 20 May 2010 at 4:15am

1 person has voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5953 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 2 of 6
20 May 2010 at 6:30am | IP Logged 
Yay. :D

Yeah, you did a better job writing that post than I did for you. ;)

Good luck!

--Philip
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ncruz
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5349 days ago

31 posts - 56 votes 

Message 3 of 6
21 May 2010 at 7:57am | IP Logged 
Recently, I've been contemplating studying Polish. I think that it's a fascinating and exciting language, but I wonder if it would be to difficult to study both Polish and Russian simultaneously? Since I am new to the world of Slavic languages, could anyone offer advice on exactly how similar the two are and how practical it would be to attempt to learn two relatively difficult language simultaneously?

Even though I still haven't decided if I'm going to study Polish this Summer, I bought the TY course and I've been looking over it for some time. Last night, I decided to type up a summary of the first lesson, highlighting all of the important concepts, vocabulary, grammar, etc.

Although tedious, I feel that this process of rewriting the important parts of the lesson will help me to better retain what I have learned and provide me with a valuable source for reviewing later on.

Does this seem like a good system, or a massive waste of time?

I'll post an example sometime soon.

Edited by Ncruz on 21 May 2010 at 7:58am

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5953 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 4 of 6
21 May 2010 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
I like that idea of writing up short summaries of the lesson. It seems like it would be very beneficial for reinforcing the topics learned. Perhaps it would be even better to do once you're a few lessons or so ahead as a review (like in Assimil)?

As for Polish and Russian, I have briefly studied both. They have many similarities in grammar and vocabulary obviously. I think their relationship might be comparable to that between Italian and Portuguese, perhaps more distant? I think that it would be better to start off with one and get to a high beginner or intermediate level before starting with the other, especially since you're completely new to the Slavic languages. I'd recommend Russian since it generally has more and better resources, and is usually considered to be the easier language.

I myself am going to begin to study Russian in July, so I look forward to seeing your progress in your Slavic language studies.

Ncruz
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5349 days ago

31 posts - 56 votes 

Message 5 of 6
03 July 2010 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
I've really enjoyed myself this summer, but sadly I've not accomplished nearly as much as I would have liked to. :(

I recently got back from Florida. Partly because I've been away and partly because of my wandering mind, I have fallen behind in Russian and have only managed to complete a few chapters in my book.

Recently, my studies have been all over the place. I bought Michel Thomas for Russian and although I was pretty skeptical at first, I ended up really enjoying it. I then proceeded to buy the basic course for every other language they have (except for Spanish, French, and German) and listened to them for "Fun". Even though they don't discuss grammar much and most of the languages aren't even on my hit list, I find the Michel Thomas courses really entertaining and I figured that I might as well learn the very basics of Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, etc. even if I don't plan on studying them beyond Michel Thomas.   (Maybe I should post this in the you know you're a language nerd when..... thread)

I also found an amazing and thorough Dutch grammar book and I decided to work through it and do all of the exercises so I can really shore up my Dutch and clear up any lingering questions I have about certain aspects of Dutch grammar.

I really have to start to focus more because the summer is going by really quickly and I'll be away for a good portion of it!

Syntax
Bilingual Hexaglot
South Africa
Joined 4906 days ago

28 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*, Afrikaans*, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 6 of 6
29 December 2010 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
Re:Afrikaans/Spanish
Hey Ncruz. Sorry that I'm posting here, but I read recently that the messages take 2 weeks to deliver for new members :( I hope that you get this message.

I don't have a particular dialect in mind, but I think I speak with a Castillian accent. I would like to be able to speak various dialects, but perhaps that would just confuse me...

I am not close to fluency yet, but have a pretty good reading comprehension.

eleventh grade translates to eleventh grade... :)
I'm going to eleventh in 2011. I turned 17 a few weeks ago.

I'm from Cape Town.

(Hope that answers all your questions, I'm using a frustratingly slow laptop at the moment)

Email: djeemayhl@gmail.com

Just note that I'm on holiday now, so I won't be able to reply immediately.

ps- could you post something here when you read this? I'm not sure if my details are correct, but I'll be notified of replies in this thread.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version