Groupie
Switzerland
Joined 6701 days ago

55 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: German*, Swiss-German*, English
Studies: Italian

Message 1 of 6
13 February 2006 at 9:01am | IP Logged 
What would be the most effective way to continue making progress in Italian after finishing Pimsleur Italian in your opinion? What learning material could you recommend? Is there something as effective as Pimsleur or should I just go on with reading newspapers, watching television, listening to music in Italian and forget about learning material?

Edited by Vespasian on 13 February 2006 at 9:25am

1 person has voted this message useful

Sir Nigel
United States
Joined 6886 days ago

1126 posts - 1102 votes 
2 sounds

Message 2 of 6
13 February 2006 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
Maybe look at Assimil. I'm not sure what's good at an intermediate to advanced level. All I know is don't get the Italian FSI course as it's not nearly as good as the others.

kukikcz
Diglot
Czech Republic
Joined 6650 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Czech*, English
Studies: German, Italian, Swedish, Japanese

Message 3 of 6
13 February 2006 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
I have finished Pimsleur Italian a week ago and now I am repeating and building vocabulary with Learn in your car Italian. So far (5 lection from 100+) I already knew about 60-70 percent of the words, but I hope this ratio will decrase.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6725 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 4 of 6
13 February 2006 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
Vespasian wrote:
What would be the most effective way to continue making progress in Italian after finishing Pimsleur Italian in your opinion? ... should I just go on with reading newspapers, watching television, listening to music in Italian and forget about learning material?

For audio people have already suggested Assimil, of which both the beginner and advanced courses are available for Italian in your native German (you can check here, if you have not done that already).

Penton's package could be helpful - you can get Learn in Your Car Italian by itself or as part of a bigger package (or this one), which includes Learn in Your Car Italian, Vocabulearn Italian (also see this), and Immersionplus Italian. It will certainly add vocabulary to what you've learned in Pimsleur, but I can't judge whether this package will be enough to learn the language - my guess is that even a seasoned language learner would at the very least still need some intermediate grammar reference.

It might also make sense to use some printed learning materials. I scouted out a few recently, in English, and the following two beginner textbooks/workbooks (workbook1, workbook2) seem quite good. The first one, Italian the Easy Way, covers about 700 words and only some of the verb tenses. It is similar to Pimsleur in this regard, but seems very lively, is not too long, and may be a good place to start, by solidifying the material covered by Pimsleur. The second one, Italian: A Self-Teaching Guide, covers about 1100 words, and purports to cover "most of the grammatical structures" of Italian. It is also not overly long. You could probably just start with the second one, or you can do them in sequence.

After that, graded readers, in addition to authentic listening and reading materials, should do the trick, with some intermediate reference grammar to keep by your side. This one has no exercises though - just explanations and examples, but, just from looking at it in a bookstore, it seems pretty good. (This one seems handy too, as does this one.) If you prefer a workbook, as opposed to just a reference, for intermediate grammar as well, they also exist (1, 2, 3, 4). For extra practice with verbs alone this workbook seems popular, and there is a forthcoming workbook on pronouns and prepositions, as well as another verb workbook from the author of the first one. For an advanced grammar reference, this one seems like a solid choice, while this one seems idiosyncratic, but may be a gem (or not!).

For readers, I found the following on Amazon:
reader 1
reader 2 (here is the UK link for it) - this one may be of FSI vintage, but updated
reader 3a, reader 3b, reader 3c
reader 4
reader 5

In addition, there are bilingual (in dual-page format) readers from Dover (1, 2) and from Penguin (Penguin Parallel Text) (1, 2, 3), but these are not abridged, so some of the above may be easier to start with.

For some additional practical vocabulary, if the readers are not sufficient, there are a couple of options as well (1,2).

Edited by frenkeld on 22 May 2006 at 9:58pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Sir Nigel
United States
Joined 6886 days ago

1126 posts - 1102 votes 
2 sounds

Message 5 of 6
13 February 2006 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
I might also add that the two levels of Assimil German are available for less at Amazon.de that straight from the publisher.

Vespasian
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
Switzerland
Joined 6701 days ago

55 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: German*, Swiss-German*, English
Studies: Italian

Message 6 of 6
14 February 2006 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Sir Nigel, kukikcz and especially frenkeld: Thank you very much for your suggestions!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version