Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Starting out with Russian: which course?

Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
12 messages over 2 pages: 1
ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5277 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 9 of 12
28 May 2010 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
A really good course to start out with is a course called Cortina Russian. It does not come with audio, but the
exercises are extremely comprehensive, and you gain an active understanding of the language within the first few
lessons. What I do to compensate for no audio (as audio is important), is post the conversational points on
rhinospike.com. Native speakers will record it for you and you can utilize it for learning. I also have used the
Penguin Course and Living Language Ultimate Russian, and neither is as good as Cortina Russian. The purpose of
the exercises is to translate them from Russian to English, then from English to Russian. Trust me I've gotten so far
within a few months from just this course. It's actually really cheap too, only $10 on amazon.
2 persons have voted this message useful

shahvlad
Belgium
Joined 5105 days ago

19 posts - 38 votes

Message 10 of 12
30 May 2010 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
ruskivyetr wrote:
A really good course to start out with is a course called Cortina Russian. It does not come with audio, but the
exercises are extremely comprehensive, and you gain an active understanding of the language within the first few
lessons. What I do to compensate for no audio (as audio is important), is post the conversational points on
rhinospike.com. Native speakers will record it for you and you can utilize it for learning. I also have used the
Penguin Course and Living Language Ultimate Russian, and neither is as good as Cortina Russian. The purpose of
the exercises is to translate them from Russian to English, then from English to Russian. Trust me I've gotten so far
within a few months from just this course. It's actually really cheap too, only $10 on amazon.

I will look into this. Thanks very much for suggesting this book as well as the website.
1 person has voted this message useful

efeilliaid
China
Joined 4976 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English

Message 11 of 12
19 September 2010 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
I'd say russianpod101 and loads of native media (online tv - radio - blogs - newspapers)
with a grammar reference book at hand. You can't go wrong.

Jase27
United States
Joined 5465 days ago

21 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, French

Message 12 of 12
21 September 2010 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
Does anyone know if you have to email the guy who is offering the free Princeton Russian course, or is it just incase you want to thank him or provide feedback?

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version