CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5097 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 1 of 7
22 May 2010 at 7:11am | IP Logged 
Hello,

I am currently trying to get my English grammar to another level. So, I will like to have your suggestion on differents drill/grammar books so I can improve that specific area.

It might help to give you more information on me. I am a native French speaker (french canadien). I learn English in high school/college (3h/week). I developped strong comprehension and reading abilities but my speaking and grammar is not that good.

So basicaly, I need a good detailled grammar drill book to cover the entire language. I saw the CEP book, but they seem to be developped toward passing a test than anythings else. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. There's so much book out there and I am totally lost.

Thanks you
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6234 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 7
22 May 2010 at 7:43am | IP Logged 
At your level, a grammar book will probably be of limited help. In your shoes, I'd recommend carefully reading in English. When a sentence surprises you, pay careful attention to it, possibly going as far as to memorize it.

Make sure you pick good sources: reputable magazines or newspapers, books, etc. What you pick is a matter of taste, but you want things which are written by native speakers and which are proofread.

On the whole, you're doing quite well. You'd benefit from using a spell-checker, doing more reading of high-quality written material, and paying attention to details: "I will like" would be more natural as "I would like", "more information on me" should be "more information about me", and "so much book" should be "so many books". The last one is a mistake most non-native speakers of English make, and often one of the last few giveaways that someone is not native when they otherwise speak well.

A grammar book may be helpful, as a supplement; I don't have one to recommend for English, unfortunately, but hopefully someone else will.

For whatever it may be worth, I'm currently going through the same process with Esperanto, and paying careful attention while reading books and magazines leads to quite a few surprises and learning a lot.

2 persons have voted this message useful

grunts67
Diglot
Joined 5097 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 

Message 3 of 7
23 May 2010 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
Thanks you for your response.

Anyone have any others suggestions ?

Guido
Super Polyglot
ArgentinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6323 days ago

286 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Catalan, Dutch, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Russian, Indonesian, Romanian, Polish, Icelandic

Message 4 of 7
24 May 2010 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
If I were you, I'd just immerse myself in the language. Watch TV, read books, listen to the radio, write, talk, etc etc etc only in
English. In a matter of months (or weeks, it depends on your efforts) you'll speak it fluently.
You really don't seem to need a grammar book, but immersion.

grunts67
Diglot
Joined 5097 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 

Message 5 of 7
24 May 2010 at 4:47am | IP Logged 
Guido wrote:
If I were you, I'd just immerse myself in the language. Watch TV, read books, listen to the radio, write, talk, etc etc etc only in
English. In a matter of months (or weeks, it depends on your efforts) you'll speak it fluently.
You really don't seem to need a grammar book, but immersion.

You are right about immersion. I watched a ton of tv show (like 10-12 season a month) in the last couple of month and I saw a big improvment in my English. But, I also notice that I don't know why I say or write somethings in a particular fashion. This is why I was asking for a grammar book. To be able to understand the structure of the language.

Nevertheless, I began to read more carefully to try to understand the language as someone was advice me. I am also preparing to move and work in London for a year or two next years.

Thanks for your input.

robsolete
Diglot
United States
Joined 5180 days ago

191 posts - 428 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 6 of 7
24 May 2010 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
While I don't think you need a specific grammar drill, you should pick up a copy of "The Elements of Style" by Strunk & White. This is perhaps the most popular book in print about English writing and usage, so you could benefit by studying the examples in it.

Frankly, most Anglophones would benefit from reading TEoS. It's a book written for native English speakers to refine their style and to resolve any nagging issues with word usage. So with your level of English I think you'd find it more challenging, engaging, and informative than grammar drills.

Just study the examples, read the text carefully, and try to come up with your own example sentences based off of those in the book. If you really want to go all-out, you can then find a (well-educated) English pen pal who will check your examples for mistakes (perhaps in return for French instruction?)

grunts67
Diglot
Joined 5097 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 

Message 7 of 7
24 May 2010 at 6:59am | IP Logged 
robsolete wrote:
While I don't think you need a specific grammar drill, you should pick up a copy of "The Elements of Style" by Strunk & White. This is perhaps the most popular book in print about English writing and usage, so you could benefit by studying the examples in it.

Frankly, most Anglophones would benefit from reading TEoS. It's a book written for native English speakers to refine their style and to resolve any nagging issues with word usage. So with your level of English I think you'd find it more challenging, engaging, and informative than grammar drills.

Just study the examples, read the text carefully, and try to come up with your own example sentences based off of those in the book. If you really want to go all-out, you can then find a (well-educated) English pen pal who will check your examples for mistakes (perhaps in return for French instruction?)

That seem like a amazing suggestion. I am already correcting people on LinQ.com, I could try it there. I will defintivly give a try.

Thanks

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version