PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5153 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 1 of 13
24 May 2010 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
One of my favourite Youtube polyglots, Syzygycc, has just released a video announcing a project he's putting together with the aim of collecting peoples' own stories and accounts of their language learning experience and the effects on their lives. It'll be on free release to anyone who wants it. He goes into more detail in this video, but essentially wants a 1- to 15-page article written by language learners in English by 31st July 2010.

The video description:

"I want to put a book together, available to all for free which is written by you language lovers for all language lovers. How did you learn your languages? How has the study of foreign languages enriched your life? Who influenced you? I want to know. Send me a written piece, in English, by July 31, 2010. About 1-15 pages, covering any topic you wish relating to foreign languages. Send the finished piece by email to: thepolyglotproject@usa.com

I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys!
Claude"

I wanted to alert this forum firstly to this project with the hope of spreading it past the video's current 270 viewers and his subscribers. Secondly I wanted to advertise the man himself - a series of videos on his favourite Youtube and historical polyglots was particularly well worth watching.

I hope some of you send him your stories! Watch the video for a fuller explanation.

Edited by PaulLambeth on 24 May 2010 at 1:22am

5 persons have voted this message useful

thecatat
Thailand
Joined 5731 days ago

26 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 2 of 13
23 August 2010 at 4:08am | IP Logged 
The deadline is now August 31.

And you can read about it on Claude's new site here: The Polyglot Project

Edited by thecatat on 23 August 2010 at 4:09am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Huliganov
Octoglot
Poland
huliganov.tvRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5135 days ago

91 posts - 304 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish, French, German, Russian, Spanish, Esperanto, Czech
Studies: Romanian, Turkish, Mandarin, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 3 of 13
05 September 2010 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
We've now gone past the deadline, but the project is now available for people to read. It is 364 pages long, contains contribulations from a number of our fellow forumowiczes among the 40 contributors that there are. The link changes over time but can easily be got hold of by looking at the channel of Claude, which is, just to remind you, http://www.youtube.com/syzygycc .

Please look at some of his other vids too, as this guy is an international treasure trove in vlog form.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6483 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 13
05 September 2010 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
I would have participated, but then I got involved in learning how to make videos and other silly projects, and I forgot all about the deadline. But I'm going to read the book in its current form - it's on my screen at this very moment.

PS: I'm curious as to who is who in the book. I recognize some of the names (for instance Moses McCormick and Anthony Lauder), and I have some idea about other contributors HTLAL identities (not many Ukrainians study Georgian), but who among the rest are also writing here under another pen name?

PS (I'm only at page 86, - maybe the rest of us HTLALians come later in the book)

PS PS: Steve Kaufmann turned up at page 127, - one more known name. And Stuart Jay Ray on page 132. So I don't feel quite as much on unknown territory now...

Mick33 on 195 (maybe I should write this in Afrikaans)

Glossika alias Mike Campbell on page 247...

Edited by Iversen on 05 September 2010 at 6:14pm

Huliganov
Octoglot
Poland
Joined 5135 days ago

91 posts - 304 votes 

Message 5 of 13
05 September 2010 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I would have participated, but then I got involved in learning how to make videos and other silly projects, and I forgot all about the deadline. But I'm going to read the book in its current form - it's on my screen at this very moment.

PS: I'm curious as to who is who in the book. I recognize some of the names (for instance Moses McCormick and Anthony Lauder), and I have some idea about other contributors HTLAL identities (not many Ukrainians study Georgian), but who among the rest are also writing here under another pen name?

PS (I'm only at page 86, - maybe the rest of us HTLALians come later in the book)

PS PS: Steve Kaufmann turned up at page 127, - one more known name. And Stuart Jay Ray on page 132. So I don't feel quite as much on unknown territory now...

Mick33 on 195 (maybe I should write this in Afrikaans)

Glossika alias Mike Campbell on page 247...

The big piece at the end is me. I hope people like that also.

BTW, if you want to know something about video-making, I'm at your service. I made a few along the way. They are not technically brilliant, but they are a great conduit for my continual desire to produce a creative message and get it to other people.

Edited by Huliganov on 05 September 2010 at 6:29pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6483 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 13
05 September 2010 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Hehe, I just reached your contribution at page 292, and now I'm going to read it.

I have learnt a lot about videomaking through trial and error the last couple of weeks. I still have to figure out a few things about subtitles and about Youtube (such as: can you block all comments? Both positive and negative? But it must be mentioned somewhere in the FAQ of that site). But the main problem is that I prefer communicating through writing, and to me this video craze is like a new language.

EDIT: Book read, and the time extraordinarily well spent. I liked the message to Cambridge University at p. 310, - that this venerable temple of wisdom would end up having to teach the goldnuggets at Youtube to their students (or go out of business). Well, I wouldn't be surprised...

Edited by Iversen on 05 September 2010 at 7:40pm

Huliganov
Octoglot
Poland
Joined 5135 days ago

91 posts - 304 votes 

Message 7 of 13
06 September 2010 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Hehe, I just reached your contribution at page 292, and now I'm going to read it.

I have learnt a lot about videomaking through trial and error the last couple of weeks. I still have to figure out a few things about subtitles and about Youtube (such as: can you block all comments? Both positive and negative? But it must be mentioned somewhere in the FAQ of that site). But the main problem is that I prefer communicating through writing, and to me this video craze is like a new language.

EDIT: Book read, and the time extraordinarily well spent. I liked the message to Cambridge University at p. 310, - that this venerable temple of wisdom would end up having to teach the goldnuggets at Youtube to their students (or go out of business). Well, I wouldn't be surprised...

Glad you liked it. On YT you can indeed block the comments. You wait until the video is up and then you go to the "My Videos" part of the menu you get by clicking your channel name on the top right and then you select "edit" under the given video. You can elect to block ratings and/or comments and/or syndication options and/or embedding, and/or open video responses. You can also choose to allow responses after your approval. Personally I allow maximum free speech about my vids as a point of principle, but not everyone has my pachyderm approach, and I will admit to censoring if the comments are about someone else in my videos who could be upset by them.
4 persons have voted this message useful

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5413 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language
Studies: Mandarin

Message 8 of 13
10 November 2010 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
He has just updated it to show the final version. It's also on Amazon http://amzn.to/cvGDRi but of course it's still a free PDF: http://bit.ly/bMni2j

I also contributed to the book - I found a huge preference for users of LingQ; an incredible *76* matches for the term if you search for it, which suggests to me that many of the users of that site (some not even polyglots) contributed, which I happened to find to be a strange and tiny focus of language learners.

So when I was asked to make a contribution, after giving my usual communicative "speak now" spiel I actually had to draw attention to LingQ alternatives so the book doesn't seem like a huge testimonial for the site.

But some of what is said in there is fascinating and it's worth a read. I'll make sure to share it with readers of my blog.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version